Volcanic activity in Hawaii & other places - History lessons!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Volcanic activity in Hawaii & other places - History lessons!

Hello all

Firstly thoughts are with all Hosts and Guests impacted by the volcanic activity in Big Island, Hawaii.

I hope you are as safe as you could be and that Airbnb help make the challenges you are facing as stress free as possible.

I've been an avid reader of world history on a fabulous site we New Zealand people are blessed to have called "Papers Past NZ" which has the world's history as it has unfolded dating back in our New Zealand newspapers to 1839!

This fabulous website has all the recorded natural disasters as they occurred as and when people navigated by sailing vessels from one part of the world to another.

Tucked away is fascinating history of volcanic eruptions in Hawaii in the very same location they are occurring at this present time.

Those with an interest in learning about what natural disasters happened when may I suggest you check out Papers Past to learn and share insights into our world wide past.

I've found when floods took place and wiped out entire settlements dating back to the early 1800's by using keywords liked Texas Hurricane / Texas Floods, Caribbean tornado/ hurricane.

We are so blessed to be living in the world we do in today's day and age as we will never experience the challenges those from as recently as 100 yrs ago and before did.

There's also the history of various cemeteries and burial grounds, how legislation of all manner came into practice, where Living Memorials are - as in trees and flowers, when statues were created in ones location, Arbor day plantings, when museums and art galleries and churches and other historical buildings were built, amongst others.

Many of these things are also Tourist attractions where you may be able to explore and expand on enhancing others experiences in your home and location across the whole of the world.

Do you have a record of newspapers or periodicals in your country where there's information of historical records?

If so, use them to help educate us all as it's a great way to break down barriers and add to harmony in the world.

2 Replies 2
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

If you are unable to access Papers Past NZ through your own Google search engine, go via Google NZ and search from NZ, it's well worth while.

I understand Australia have Trove Australia which is a little more challenging to find information - I won't hold that against our lovely neighbours across the ditch as we say in this part of the world.

In the UK I understand they have there newspapers online dating back to the 1700's.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

If you would like to learn the history of the volcanic eruptions in Hawaii use keywords such as " Hawaii volcanic eruption", " Hawaii volcano erupted" and Papers Past NZ will bring to the fore when they happened, lives lost and how the people coped.

A tip for when using Papers Past, use the search tools that bring up 25, 50 or 100 pages with "preview shown" as that makes it easier to scan through relevant information.

They do have photos and or sketches as they did have cameras to record events just not mobile phone ones.... Or phones in general...