Vrbo vs Airbnb customer service

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Vrbo vs Airbnb customer service

I had a guest who due to some sort of glitch was able to book my place for $60 a night instead of $300 on Vrbo. I decided to honor. 10 people. She raised a huge stink about my ID requirement and left a one star review trashing everything, from quality of pillows to lay out and of course mentioned IDs.

I decided to be funny in my reply and said something along the lines of that she rented at a rate of $6 per person due to glitch and if my future guests want to know what a princess on a popper budget looks like, I have her picture ID. Apparently she read my response and called Vrbo complaining that I was supposed to delete her ID. Ridiculous request as it was send though the Vrbo messaging system so there is no way to delete; of course I was not going to show it future guests; I can tell her I deleted it but how would she ever know if I did.

Airbnb would have definitely sent me a message telling me how I wronged the guest, most likely would have asked me to give a discount and maybe even suspended me for some breach of privacy or some other reason. Vrbo sent a message: this is what the guest wanted, call them, have a good night. I know Airbnb is the more popular of the two however I have never heard of anyone picking it for the reason of more involved customer service on the guest side.

I think if Airbnb stayed out of the guest/host relationship more, it would not have affected guests negatively (most hosts will do the right thing!) but made hosts happier.

16 Replies 16

@Inna22  I use a moderate cancellation policy because life does happen and for the most part it works fine for me.  I find with VRBO I get a lot of far out bookings that also cancel far out with little communication. Oh well. As you said each platform has its pluses and minuses. I was on Booking.com but pulled out. Terrible service and people expect much lower prices there than I’m willing to give. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22  uh,  on Airbnb you would probably be suspended forever 😄  Sorry, for idiots guest...

First year of hosting I did a mistake and didn't raise my prices for New Year Eve.  I got an IB in August. Oh, well... I honored it... and got a bad review.  Every year after that I charged 5x more... and each time I got 5* reviews 🙂