WARNING: Guests running credit card scam!

Lindsey102
Level 1
New York, NY

WARNING: Guests running credit card scam!

WARNING TO ALL HOSTS: After staying one night in our Brooklyn apartment, a group of 2-4 [content hidden] STOLE $50 out of our apartment - PLUS the information from 3 of our credit cards (they had been spread throughout the apartment), all of which we had to cancel after we discovered $2,000+ in fraudulent charges the same day they checked out. Based on conversations we overheard, we believe they are running this scam across a different airbnb every night and they may even be stealing ID information to create FAKE airbnb profiles.

We filed a police report and escalated the problem to airbnb safety and security. In the meantime, keep your information close and keep an eye out for suspicious (also incredibly loud and obnoxious, btw) teenagers.

*[Content hidden in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

9 Replies 9
Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Ugh! So sorry that happened to you, Lindsey. I've written in all over the forum lately, never trust that Airbnb has done any sort of background check on your guest(s). If you'd like me to run the name for you to see if he comes up with an existing record, I'd be more than happy to, just message me.

That said, and I'm not blaming you for their crime, but NEVER leave cash or credit card information laying about where guests can even think about accessing it. Even great guests will be looking in drawers, closets, etc. and it's definitely unwise for you to treat short term guests like you would longer term roommates who you have vetted yourself and invited personally to live with you.

Be careful out there. Let us know how Airbnb follows up with your case.

Thanks Jess. The profile was definitely fake so I'm really not even sure who these horrible people are! We've definitely learned our lesson - everything lives in a safe now.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Guests are very nosey. I have a couple of places that are off limits to guests in my suite as they are where I keep my extra supplies. After I had a woman literally rearrange my entire apartment, go through every cabinet (including ones labelled as "Private; Please Do Not Enter" and pull random items out and put them elsewhere in the apartment, I have put locks on the closet door and supply closet so people can't access them. 

Ridiculous!

Lindsey102
Level 1
New York, NY

An update: turns out, Airbnb doesn’t reimburse stolen money. Despite the fact that this guests profile is now littered with horrible reviews, despite the fact that it could not have been any guest other than this. Despite the fact that it was a nominal sum of change for such a successful company. 

If airbnb can’t properly screen their guests to block fake profiles and scams, the literal least they could do is financially protect their hosts. 

What lazy and abhorrant business practices. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I have several locked closets in the unit (Xmas stuff etc). It is amazing how many times I can clearly see the guest has tried to open them. In fact most try to open everything. I would assume that anything you leave open will be rifled...

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

1) "Dark-skinned"?  Really?  It's 2018.   That comment does not speak highly of you.  2).  You left cash and credit cards in a place that can be easily accessed by strangers in your home?  I have little sympathy.  

I agee that its 2018, Why on earth do you leave your credit cards out including cash! Thanks for warning people who leave their credit cards and cash around during hosting!

Its stuff like these post that have council/authorities lingering around picking on us hosts and airbnb, there are disruptive journalist linging around reading all our posts influencing councils to ban our hosting.

we all do our best towards a goal of responsible hosting and we are community minded.

So all you sharks from MEDIA, COUNCILS, GOVT REPS.....go get a life and pick on CRAIGS LIST OR OTHER SITES THAT SCAM MORE PEOPLE!

Lindsey104
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Ive learned not to rely on AirBnb as my recourse for anything, tbh. I take it upon myself to protect everything I have. I lock my bedroom door (where I keep any and all valuables) whenever I have guests.  

And I don’t allow any more than 2 guests per booking without charging them an arm and a leg extra per night, so I never have more than 2 guests in 1 room.