WV occupancy/state taxes

Annette103
Level 2
Shenandoah Junction, WV

WV occupancy/state taxes

Good morning! New host here - be gentle with me! 

We are pleasantly surprised at the good response with our new listing, but now I am playing catch-up with regard to taxes. I know I need to report and pay state/federal income taxes. We also have a county occupancy tax, which I have to pay monthly according to the county tax ordinance. But I'm unsure how to pay the 6% state sales tax. How do other WV residents handle this? I so wish Airbnb included a line item for taxes. I don't charge a cleaning fee, but would instead love to have a line for taxes. 

Also, how do other WV hosts handle payment of these taxes? Since we are *supposed* to collect it directly from guests (according to our local occupancy tax ordinance), is it enough to state in our listing that occupancy/sales taxes are included in price? Or do I need to do a special offer and collect these taxes separately? I don't want to burden our guests with little extra fees and asking for additional money outside of what they are already paying to Airbnb. 

Advice from other hosts who have faced this dilema would be much appreciated! We completed our first two listings this week and have more guests on the way, so I want to figure this out now. 

6 Replies 6
Michelle507
Level 1
Weston, WV

Help, please!  We also have an airbnb in Weston WV.  What is the best way to handle the sales and occupancy tax for the state and county?  Special offer?  Mention it in the description and then special offer?  Any ideas are appreciated:)

Michelle, 

I'm also struggling with figuring out if we have any regulations for short term rentals in Jefferson County. I had a moment of panic earlier this week. It struck me that when I submit my Jefferson Coutny Occupancy tax form with the fees collected, I may trigger a zoning inquiry about having an extra residence on my property. It's an RV that is properly tagged and insured, but I'm honestly not sure if there are regulations about this since I'm on my own piece of property outside of any city and not in a housing development. Airbnb says that we need to find out all local laws and figure out taxes, but I'm having a hard time figuring out that information. I want to do this the "right" way, but I fear that paying local tax, state sales tax, and income tax (and possibly having to get a zoning variance - idk if this is even needed) is going to leave me with very little to show for my efforts. I've had three successful guests so far, and more to come, so I want to get this right. 

I was hoping to find a thread or page for WV hosts but have not yet found anything, have you? 

Let's keep this topic going and let me know if you find anything out on your end. 

Annette

Michelle, your place looks lovely! Wish we had been using Airbnb when our daughter went to college near you. I'll have to keep your place in mind next time we travel through the state. 

And I've been thinking of adding a small cleaning fee (like $5) for the taxes. Still not quite right, but I don't like the idea of using the special offer after the fact of the reservation. We are technically supposed to collect taxes directly from the consumer, and my husband has a bit of an issue with my simply stating in our listing that "Local hotel/motel taxes of 6% included in listing price". He says that is not quite the way we are supposed to do it. 

I really wish Airbnb would collect WV sales tax as well as local occupancy tax. Sigh.... 

Hello! I am a new host as well. I thought that air b&b was taking care of the state and local taxes for us. Was I wrong to think that? 

Has anyone gotten a response on how this works? I am just as confused...I Googled occupancy tax which ABNB is collecting, and it states it is another word for sales tax, hotel tax, etc. I called WV Treasury and they stated I need to get a business license, my tax preparer says no. Any help/information is appreciated. 

you need a business licences (sole proprietorship is fine) for the sales tax but you don't need anything for the WV hotel occupancy tax.   http://www.jeffersoncountywv.org/county-government/elected-officials/sheriff-s-treasurer-tax-office/...