Wait for Superbowl?

Charity7
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

Wait for Superbowl?

My husband and I bought a 4 plex in South Minneapolis in April. One unit was great, the other three horrible. We've been slowly rehabbing and are about 3 months behind our schedule since we couldn't find actual contractors but just a series of handymen. We've ended up doing 25% of the work ourselves. We've already rented out the great unit. Work on the other two units should be done by the New Year, and the fourth unit, if we're lucky, Feb 1. It's a great old house converted to a 4 plex about 2 miles away from the Super Bowl. One unit would have four beds, another just one, and if we get the other one done in time, then another three bed. We'd have to buy some couches and beds to furnish all three, but I'm only counting two on being ready. Walking distance is 1.8 miles to the stadium. I'm wondering if it's worth not renting, plus buying couches and beds, to rent for the Super Bowl. The delay in renting has already really stressed our finances. But the windfall from Super Bowl rentals could put us back in black and negate the down time. Any advice?

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Charity7  Good luck with your new business venture, but you are right to be concerned about timing for the Super Bowl.  In order to set up your listing on Air BNB, you will need pictures of the space so guests can know what they are getting.  Is there a way for you to focus on a single unit to get it ready and set up the listing?  Then if you are able to get the other units ready, you would add a separate listing for each unit.

Besides the Super Bowl I would imagine you plan to continue to list so you want your space to get positive reviews.  Also, you want to ensure that the guests do not party to hard and cause damage.  It is a difficult road for you to go but could be profitable. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would not list until I was certain that the property would be available.

David
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Charity7 Cancelling is a terribly bad idea. Big event certainly may have some folks looking for last minute rental. So get done & then list. 

You could get all the items you need & store them off-site & be ready to setup quickly. You can also premptively prep your listing, just leave it unlisted until it is really 100% ready. Abb rentals often book at very short notice so you could probably get takers even late.