Want to be compensated by guest for them causing my future bookings to be cancelled

Luke91
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Want to be compensated by guest for them causing my future bookings to be cancelled

Hi folks.

I had a couple of guests who were pretty disgusting (snot/mucus thrown on the walls; pooey tissues left on toilet floor and the walls scuffed by luggage (I won't gross you out with the pictures)) and so I contacted Airbnb to cancel the future bookings and block my calendar whilst I got in a professional deep cleaner and decorator.

I managed to get the penalties removed for the cancellations by showing Airbnb photos however when it came to requesting money for compensation for the loss of income due cancellations and blockings caused as a direct result of the guest's actions I was told that I wouldn't get any as the 'evidence does not warrant compensation'. 

Does this seem reasonable to you? I've lost over £1000 in booked days because of this guest.

It seems that the 2 people who have looked at the same evidence have decided that it counts as enough for legitimate circumstances to cancel but not enough evidence to uphold a claim for loss of income. Surely this is inconsistant. Either there is a legitimate reason to cancel the future bookings and thus I have incurred a loss that is not my fault and I should be compensated or I have not...

What's your thoughts? Am I right? Or is it just 'too bad'? How can I press things forward with an Airbnb case manager who is already pretty decided against my favor and with there being no right to request a second opinion?

If this happens in the future I have no idea what to do.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Luke91 ,

I think it's all in the terms:

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee , see section "Booking Income Loss" 

Luke91
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Which seems to confirm that it is covered: III.4.V: except that the Airbnb Host Guarantee does cover Booking Income Loss;

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Luke, Airbnb uses the word 'Guarantee' very loosely as you probably suspect by now. It is the subject of many, many threads here in the last two years.

Keep in mind Airbnb is dealing with the same human race you are, you seen how disgusting they could be, they get to see it every single day a thousand times how easily they will try to abuse the slightest extension on their part.  Loss of income is real of course, but just imagine the ways the 'hustling' type will use it to their benefit.

Ruth425
Level 3
Mogadore, OH

I had the same experience. Because I did not have any bookings that needed to be cancelled, but I had to shut the house down for repair so I  missed out on any potential bookings, Air BnB refused to compensate for loss of income.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I don't know why Luke hired a professional cleaner & decorator..... You can wipe over with disinfectant where 'pooey' tissues have landed in 10 mins. Snot/mucus on walls sounds like deliberate trouble making, but can be wiped off in minutes - then bleach or disinfectant. (Vinegar for the environmentally minded.) As for a bit of wall scuffing - repainting the whole room seems over the top. - Always good to keep a bit of the spare original paint for touch ups. I wouldn't have needed to cancel guests after this unpleasant incident - only a little bit of extra cleaning required!