Warning About Airbnb property Manager - Andchill Property Management

Arto0
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Warning About Airbnb property Manager - Andchill Property Management

Hi fellow hosts (or aspiring hosts)

I engaged a company called Andchill Property Management to turn my apartment into an airbnb property.

I can not say one good thing about my experience with Andchill airbnb property management. They promised the world and delivered nothing of what they said they would do. I recommend you avoid this company at all costs!

They say that they will manage the property professionally, ensuring that you can just chill while they do all the hard work. The reality is something different.

First up I paid $8,000 for them to furnish my apartment. I was really underwhelmed with their furnishing job. There was only one bedside table and lamp in each bedroom, and no art work on lounge room walls. They put in the cheapest Smart TV that I wasn't able to connect to Netflix. The TV did not even have a cord to enable it to connect to the aerial. I had to purchase that myself. I complained about there not being bedside tables and lamps beside the beds and they said sorry too bad, budget was spent. I just thought it was not good enough and I said i was happy to buy the extra tables and lamps myself. Then they lie to me and say that they got it from a direct importer but if I go to Freedom I could find similar. I then happen to stumble onto the bedside tables at Kmart for $19 a piece, and the lamps $12 each. I found all the other cheap furnishings at Kmart also.

They promised also to screen for the best guests. They do not screen at all. They let in anyone. I had so many complaints from the other residents in the apartment block on the standard of guests they were allowing in - causing havoc, parties all night, etc.

They promised professional cleaners that would make everything spick and span. What a joke. One third of the reviews for my property complained about the cleaning saying it was disgusting. There were so many bad reviews airbnb pulled the listing.

Then I just had enough of andchill and decide to cancel my contract. They empty out all the furniture and appliances I paid for and then left the place a complete mess. I had installed new carpet which was completely trashed. There were also items of mine removed from the apartment - a hall runner mat and a glass feature in the ensuite had been removed. The wall of the second bedroom was damaged with shelving they had put in and then taken out - and no attempt to repair the wall.

And to top it off they lost 2 full sets of keys! I never got the keys back from them. The keys are restricted keys that cost $165 a set to replace. After 3 and a half months of complaining I still do not have the keys back and they are refusing to compensate me for the damage to the carpet and the bedroom wall. 

I recommend everyone stay well clear of this company. They made my attempt at turning my apartment into an airbnb a very stressful affair and a complete nightmare.
100 Replies 100
Wesley58
Level 3
Albany, NY

I disagree with some of the points here that 3rd party companies don't work. I left my day job in December to start one of these of my own, and I've found that the margins are really hard to work with. In order for me to be able to pay myself a living wage, I needed to get up to almost 20 properties managed. I think other people who get into property management typically try to cheat the slow pace that these types of companies take to grow. I can imagine that's why your $8,000 job resulted in some cheap furniture. 

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that you can nicely furnish an entire 2 bedroom apartment nicely (on a budget) for about $5,000. Now the fact that they took the furniture with them is DISGUSTING. You should be filing for theft, honestly. Frankly I'm nervous when I'm purchasing for my own clients because I don't want to accidentally get something over budget, and I have to report accurately to them for tax purposes. I don't know how anything about this situation that you have can be interpreted as anything less than theft. 

You have a good reason to hire a lawyer, so I recommend that you do. As for property management companies, just look for the good ones. For example, Blue Ground property manages corporate rental units, and they're revered in the industry for their quality.

***[To view listings, hover over profile image and click, 'View profile']

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Lee329
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Just chiming in to say I have had a similar experience. Thankfully I got most of my keys back but am still waiting for my final payout.

I have contacted the Office of Fair Trading and I'd recommend everyone else do the same. The lady I spoke with mentioned that there are many other hosts in similar scenarios. This thread has only reinforced that for me.

Sorry to hear you have all gone through the same terrible experience as me. With any luck they will not be operational in the near future. 

I learned the hard way as well and I would strongly suggest choosing a different service provider than Andchill.  I chose their premium furnishing package that included design input.  Not only was I totally underwhelmed by their selection of furniture, their designer was absolutely unprofessional and unresponsive, their design concept was not helpful.  I spent over AUD9000 on that package.  I only used Andchill for one year and that was one year too long.  Over the one year, I had to deal with three to four different customer service people.  When I decided to discontinue their service, they withheld a sum of money for utility payments but never showed me any receipts or bills and just assumed I was ok with them keeping the balance.  When I entered my one-year old apartment, there were streak marks on the wall, stains on the carpet, and someone tried to punch two nails in the wall.  Not only did I not get one explanation from Andchill, I didn't receive any compensation and I have to now spend almost AUD1000 to clean up and paint the walls.  Dont' be fooled by their 'professional service' and attitude.  They are unprofessional and dishonest.  Another point is directed more at airbnb: please treat guests and property owners equally.  The impression I get is airbnb is only concerned about their guests and how they are treated.  Your business model requires both parties to be amicable.  Please try harder.

We had a bad experiences with andchill as well and got out quickly without too much damage.  I feel for these owners.  Just wan to say all properties should have short term rental insurance before you start so you are covered when something like this happens.   you should be covered by Airbnb host protection as well. You should perhaps inquire with Airbnb.

with so many hosts here we may have a current affair story : )

We got out by directly challenging them on social media which Is their main target market. 

You can searched for the founders and find them on LinkedIn etc

I have had such a bad experience with AndChill that I don't even know where to start.  I have posted one conversation here last week so I won't repeat myself but I just found out today that AndChill did not pay my apartment's water bill for one year and I got a bill for AUD1100 today.  I engaged them to manage my apartment in Melbourne in February 2018.  When I sent in my three month's notice to Andchill to terminate their services in December 2018, they told me in March they would withhold AUD1000 to pay any outstanding utility bills.  From March till now, I have written four times to them to request to see the utility bills they have paid for and return the balance to me.  I have not heard back from them.  On top of this, I have had to pay AUD1500 to fix up my apartment, which is only one year old.  Walls were scratched, holes were punched into the wall (to seemingly hang up pictures or something), and carpets were stained.  

I travel quite a bit so I rely on professional services such as Andchill and there is not much I can do now because they know people like me won't fly back and engage legal services to take them to court.  My addition to this conversation here is to warn people to stay away from Andchill and their stakeholders.  No new business is easy.  But that's not an excuse to be unethical and steal from hardworking people.  I owned several businesses that opened and closed for various reasons, but I never stole or conducted anything unethical that I couldn't live with.  For those who work there, mind your reputation.  

Arto2
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Cc... Sorry to hear about your experiences. I finished my relationship with this awful company over 12 months ago and still scarred by the experience. It was such a stressful 6 months dealing with them and so expensive. Lost the $8,000 set up fees and they took all the furniture and whitegoods I bought away when I ended the contract and their guests ruined my new carpets and other damage in apartment and items removed and multiple sets of keys never returned to me. Attempts to seek compensation from them met with deaf ears. Can't still believe a company like this exists that consistently rorts nearly everyone who deals with them. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Arto0 

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. Did you do any due diligence in terms of checking reviews for this company and taking up references from other hosts before you gave them such a large sum of money?

I would suggest you take them to court to recover your set up costs.

Trish32
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

If I could give these people a minus star rating I would - utter charlatans - the worst experience ever, allowing them to manage our Airbnb/booking.com rentals while we were out of town!!!
DO NOT USE THEM!
They do not screen their guests - the last ones they booked into our home broke all our house rules, trashed our property and stole many of our personal items.
When contacted for solutions and compensation, after initial positive feedback, they simply stopped responding altogether. We met with a so-called CEO just once, who looked like he was fresh out of school, in the foyer of the building where they supposedly have offices, and he literally ran away after we confronted him with our issues.
We are now seeking legal and police assistance to claim for the damages and to recover our stolen property.
BE WARNED!!!

William856
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I got a same situation like most of you here got... i have not get any payment from them from the beginning...some how,i don’t know why this kind of business are still existing. Alot of damage from my property,they let any kind of guest booked and they took all the money without payment to us...all the staff work for them act like professional business manner but I believe they are losing their reputation,always make up stories and lie even minor thing.. wonder how those scam still survice or Australia law system is broken down... can any one tell me how your process to sue them to court ?

William856
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Can everyone here gather in a group chat so we can together sue And Chill ,look like the business still exist and they still chase more money from people,can Air Bnb help us to do so as many of us was cheated by doggie company thanx

Hi William 

There is a class action legal case being prepared at the moment. What are your contact details and I will send you info on how to get involved. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@William856 

I would suggest you approach someone like Maurice Blackburn .....

https://www.mauriceblackburn.com.au/

It looks like, from what is being seen here, the scale of incompetence by this company could well be taken to task by a law firm like Blackburns.

Settings yourself up to run a business is one thing.....to run it competently is another.

Consider giving this a go William!

Cheers.....Rob 

Thanxx,look like they not allow us to provide email over here..

My email *sensitive information hidden*

please if any one can update the process ... cheers

Arto2
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone if you haven't done so already to join the class action please contact 

*sensitive information hidden*

Daniel2793
Level 1
Morfa Nefyn, United Kingdom

I have had a very similar situation with my property in Melbourne. It has had numerous different hosts since enganging with AndChill in December 2018. I have also not been paid anything from them since February but know that my property has been rented out. The property manager keeps telling me that they are changing over to a new payment programe but it never happens. I have recently tried calling and emailing the company including their accounts team with no response.

I am based in the UK so am limited to what I can do. Can someone please advise me on what steps I should take.  Any help n this nightmare situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Daniel