How much is too much Washer and Dryer usage?

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

How much is too much Washer and Dryer usage?

Is it me or do guests who stay on a long term or even short term basis use your washer and dryer more often that even you do? I have a gas dryer and received my gas bill to find out it was twice as high as normal. Mind you natural gas is suppose to be super inexpensive. My bill went from $25-30 a month to $60-$70/month. I thought it was a mistake until I realized that my guest is using my dryer every other day at the most random of times. On top of that he always has something to wash. Am I atypical in that I only use my washer and dryer once a week at most and do all my laundry at once mid-day?

Before he moved in I learned my lesson and stated hours of laundry and that each time you'd like access its an additional charge of $5. I wish I lived close to a laundrymat then I can honestly say that its off limits. Unfortunately, I have a hard cost that the monthly payment isn't covering. That isnt usually the case with a lot of minor expenses like increased water bills.

What have fellow hosts done in regards to washer and dryer usage?

23 Replies 23
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Zacharias0  Our listing does not have a washer and/or dryer listed in the amenities.  We do have these appliances in the locked garage which is off limits to guests.  

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I WISH my guests would do some laundry.  I think once in all my stays I had a guest wash towels and leave them with a little note saying they were clean. We leave a few laundry pods and a dryer sheet or two but I've never seen them used save that one time. Our guests usually only stay a few nights so maybe that's why. 

I've had the opposite experience where one of my first guests asked whether we were coming over to change and launder their sheets during their stay. They thought we were an actual bed and breakfast because they were confused by the Airbnb name. 

I think it's wise to limit the use to free 2 loads per week. I put my stuff to dry in a rack but they use the dryer. Any additional use I will charge 5 dollars each and mine is wifi controlled. I have had to make almost all my appliances wifi smart so I can view their activity. Turn lights on and off. So, they don't say I violated their privacy by turning lights off. so I will be able to time the time because from 4-9 is more expensive. I only allow them during the weekend because during the week after work is annoying and the condo sound travel. 

@Michelle1075 Can you explain how to make a washer and dryer wifi controlled?  I have had several guest abuse and overuse my washer and dryer - several have actually arrived with loads of dirty laundry!  With the cost of electricity now a days I would like to be able to limit their use.  I will have to remove them from my airbnb listing if I can't find a way to get users to be more considerate!

As an airbnb user please remember that guests are PAYING to use the home that you are voluntarily listing! Most guests are considerate otherwise would you remain hosting? We recently spent a week in Arizona with sweaty clothing and LOCKED access to the washer and dryer. Never again. Total deal breaker.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anonymous,

What happened when you found the laundry room door locked?  If the washer and dryer were listed as amenities at the time of your reservation, the host was required to give you access to them, or you could have requested to either get a partial refund for laundromat costs or cancel the reservation.  

Victoire30
Level 2
Santa Ana, CA

I just had guests staying for 2 nights and doing excessive laundry. 4 already..my washer and dryer are in the kitchen. I understand you may need to do a load but it really looks like I am a laundry mat. I will specify the use and by pods to limit usage as well.

Have not read through all replies, so apologies if I am going to repeat someone's opinions

1. Guests do use more of everything, there is not way to force them not to - due to various reasons

2. In my house rules I put: "Please concerve electricity as its price is sky high now and usage is measured after each guest's departure and you WILL be charged if bill is much higher than average

3. Price of gas does not stay the same - here is a weekly chart that might explain why you saw the spike

David8879_0-1656779968137.png

Like previous poster suggested - leaving only 2-3 pods for guests' use is a good idea

Sandy857
Level 2
Hampton, NH

I am struggling with this also!