Washing Machine Broken by guest

Alice82
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Washing Machine Broken by guest

A Swiss family recently stayed at our place for 11 days and on our return I put on a load of washing only to discover that water was leaking out of the back of the washing machine. A washing machine repair man came today and discovered a large hole in the back of the machine and a dented Swiss franc coin which he concluded was the cause of the hole being spun around at speed. Our warrenty will not cover this damage and our only option is to buy a new machine. I contacted the guest when I first discovered the problem before the diagnosis to ask if they'd experienced any problems during their 11 night stay but have had no reply from them. We did not ask for a security deposit (something I now regret). Is there any route we can take for some compensation for the damage caused or is it something we just have to accept as a risk of hosting? Any advice would be welcome.

7 Replies 7
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Suck it up and pay for it.  Lesson learned.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Yes, it's called the Resolution Center. You can find more information in the Help Centre. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

Well i believe finding a swiss franc stuck on purpose anywhere in your machine really says it all. 

Be direct with them and go through the resolution center to try to get some of the damage covered. 

And add a deposit. 

Robert182
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

You need to consider whether the damage caused to your machine by a coin was reasonably foreseeable by the guests.  While I feel for you regarding your loss, which is big, it's unlikely that anyone could reasonably foresee such damage.  I think we've all left coins in the wash from time to time.  I would consider buying a machine that can stand up to the realities of renters (who often will care less about our machines than if they were their own).

Susan191
Level 2
Portland, OR

Hi Alice, with the Resolution Center there is strict timing involved, so please observe it and hurry before it gets too late, as a way to not miss your chance. I had a Guest break a chair and went through the necessary steps and Airbnb had the Guest pay for the repair. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If all it took to break a washing machine was to leave a coin in your trouser pocket I would go through one a week.

Something else going on.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm sorry your washing machine engineers explanation doesn't ring true. Our washing machine often had to put up with loose change left in pockets as it went through the cycle and never impacted on the machine.

How can a coin go through the drum.

Sounds like some other fault. How long have you had it?