Washington DC AIRBNB Regulation Eliminating AIRBNB Rentals

Marla12
Level 2
Washington, DC

Washington DC AIRBNB Regulation Eliminating AIRBNB Rentals

Hi All

Anyone know whether AIRBNB has lawyers fighting back on this? We were once contacted by AIRBNB legal to testify at hearings of proposed elimination of AIRBNB rentals in DC but we could not. This is a real concern adn if it prevails we will not be bale to List any longer in DC. Trying to figure if AIRBNB reads these threads and will answer our question - Have they got lawyers beating this back?

The opponents are saying AIRBNB reduces affforable housing but I think we can all agree it has nothing at all to do with that- in fact poor neighborhoods in DC have little to no AIRBNB and all of the other neighborhoods here are competitive with other major cities- this is the hotel industry losing a lot of money. We wonder of setting about proving who is really behind the opposing effort could work? A 'fake' attempt to 'protect poor people from affordable housing" if you will  - we need only to follow that money trail. 

AIRBNB is good for any economy- we bring in hundreds and thousands of people who spend their money and the municipality gets hospitality tax paid from AIRBNB directly to them. As Hosts we are making it possible for thousands of people to visit/experience/enjoy places where they just could not before.

So AIRBNB is clearly a big money maker all around for any municipality

11 Replies 11
Karen215
Level 2
Bethesda, MD

Earlier this week, a coalition of anti-short-term rental groups have committed to funneling $500,000 dollars to push for the passage of Councilmember McDuffie’s short-term rental bill.  Councilmember McDuffie’s short-term rental bill would impose burdensome restrictions to severely limit your ability to short-term rent your property.

A group of homeowners have come together and created the DC Short-term Rental Alliance (DCSTRA) to push back against the anti-short-term rental group’s efforts.  We need you to get involved by joining the DC Short-term Rental Alliance and by writing your City Councilmember to make your voice heard!

Visit our Take Action Page to tell your City Councilmember to vote NO on the anti-short-term rental bill.

Thank you in advance for your efforts in preserving our vibrant travel accommodation options.

Autumn-and-Mitch0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hi- How can I get involved with DCSTRA- I do not see a way to do this on the website currently. I have reached out to my City Councilmember and offered testimony. The unit we rent is used only as a part-time rental for when my mother is not using the unit when she is in town to help with our son with special needs. This unit would not be offered for a long-term rental due to our circumstances so does not impact the DC rental market. We really need the flexibility and income this unit provides us. 

Carolina2
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hello all,

It seems like they will vote on Tuesday!! Please, please talk to the Airbnb staff and be present at the Wilson building to represent our Airbnb community. The hotels are investing a lot of money on this, we need to invest our time and hearts. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-council-to-vote-tuesday-on-barring-residents-fro...

Thank you!

Carolina

Founder of Belong Here DC

Interior Decorator for Airbnb 

*personal information hidden*

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Daniel269
Level 2
Washington, DC

Can anyone share a link to the text of the revised bill?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If you are hosting an entire house or apartment, as opposed to a room or suite in your home, or a vacation home which you yourself make use of at some times, which you wouldn't rent out long-term anyway, then yes, you are, in fact, reducing the availability of affordable housing for those who live and work in your city. Affordable housing does not mean "cheap housing for poor people". It just means there are sufficient places available to rent for local families on a long term lease which are within their housing budget. That doing STRs brings money to the local economy is beside the point.

Daniel269
Level 2
Washington, DC

Here is the bill. Its confusing. 

https://t.co/6XdjYVBBSy

Nora50
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hi, I was at the hearing on Tuesday.  The vote was delayed until Nov 13th

two things should be done by ALL DC HOSTS:

1-contact ALL council members (not just your council member) and tell them why short term rentals are important and address issues like:

the current bill only allows for a renting up to a total of 90 days per year

the current bill only allows people to rent out a unit located at the primary residence - NOT for someone who rents out a townhouse across town.

an amendment was proposed that said the unit had to be within 1 mile of your primary residence - do you qualify?  address these issues

a counsilmember said their consitiuents complained about 'having different people in the house next door every weekend" - well that can be true for year round renters if they have lots of parties or even owner occupants who have parties - heck, if you lived next door to an embassy/chancery you would have different people next door every day - with all the events they host

BE AT THE HEARING/VOTE on Nov 13th - get there early - the hotel union had bus loads arrive at about 7:45am; so we need to get there earlier.

go on airbnb in your neighborhood and contact others nearby who may not be aware of what needs to be done - 

Selena9
Level 2
Washington, DC

It is my understanding that DC regulations will not permit hosts to use their property for Airbnb for more than 30 days starting November 2019.  What is the plan?  Are we expected to unlist our property and go back to renting long term?  I personally do not look forward to this, as landlord/tenant court is no fun and though the court may rule in the landlord's favor, it is at least six months before you can get the non-paying tenant out of your house and it is my experience that you never receive the unpaid rent.

Actually the Bill says the limit is 90 days if you dont live in the property.  If you do, you can rent your place as much as you like.  I think congress has to decide on if it will pass and I think that will happen in May.

I have a 2br 1 bath unit in Brookland area looking for cohosting.l have a video of the space. This is the link

https://animoto.com/play/PHhEAsLLlDKgqaHziV1tZA

Sheila Weaver 6785484358

Matt755
Level 2
Washington, DC

Glad to see this bill taking effect. My neighborhood has been ruined with airbnbs.