Washington, DC rates

Audrey66
Level 1
Washington, DC

Washington, DC rates

I've had a 2-bedroom apartment on AirBnB for 2 years. I'm a superhost in Columbia Heights with excellent reviews and ratings. Yet, the amount I can rent the place for has gone done dramatically. Has anyone else noticed that in D.C.? I'm wondering if there is a glut of people making their places availble, driving down the costs.  Ouch!

7 Replies 7
Cathy8
Level 8
Sydney, Australia

@Audrey66,

you are correct. The market is acting the way markets do supply increases at a really fast rate, and faster than corresponding demand,  I understand your area is the most populous for Airbnb listings now.

So the way to charge more and still remain competitive? Look at all your competition i.e. Listings in your area which offer the same number of bedrooms, baths, amenities, etc, then offer something they don't offer. There has been a lot written about this on the forum so I would recommend you search for wiser information than mine. But a few things come to mind - if others charge for cleaning and you don't, can you do without the cleaning charge; chocolates laid out on the pillows, fresh flowers in the house or room, a smarttrip card with money on it, all of these personal touches make your home stand out from the rest and this will be represented in the reviews your guests leave after their stay. For me, it's the one on one conversations I share with guests that makes me able to charge what I wish in my competitive neighborhood. 

Dan62
Level 2
Washington, DC

I'm also renting in Columbia Heights and if anything prices seem to be going up and a lot of the listing of places which never had a guest seem to be harder to find. That said November thru February were pretty slow last year and that pattern seem to be repeating

Abby7
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hi Audrey,

I host in Columbia Heights as well. However, I am experience a boom in business especially New Years Eve and the week of the inauguration. My 40 dollar a night room is reserved by the Million Woman Marchers at 400.00 per night. I'm so mind boggled I cannot do the math. I just basking in the Glory of what my places are bringing in.  I must agree with the other commenter: personal touch and personal conversation is KEY.

Hi looking to stay over the night

Manish14
Level 2
Ashburn, VA

I am planning to host in Columbia heights for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath brand new condo. It will be about 1100 sq. ft . Are there any tips which you can advise?I am looking for info about rates, housekeeping, maintenance, any DC regulations I need to be aware of? 

Thank you so much.

Manish Paliwal

I hosted in started hosting in Columbia Heights in 2016. I did good business and was a well reviewed hostess. You should consider co hosting to get started. I would be happy to come look at your place to offer you some advice or perhaps talk about a co hosting agreement.

Victoria80
Level 3
Washington, DC

There is absolutely a glutted market in all of DC and Columbia Heights especially.  I've rented out a one-bedroom apt as a vacation rental  in my Columbia Heights home since 2007,  long before Abb  (on Craigslist.)   Eventually I listed on VRBO/Homeaway and ABB.  I used to easily rent 300+ nights a year at $125.00, or $140.00 peak season.  Now I work hard to get maybe 200 nights at $125.  ABB wants me to drop my price to $75.00 a night - um, no.  

We have also suffered from all the recent shootings.  Another host I know had two reservations cancel after the last one.

Chocolates on the pillow and fresh flowers are not going to make any difference.   Luckily I have over 140 five-star reviews on VRBO, and reviews DO make a difference.  Good photos make a difference.  Comprehensive descriptions make a difference.   But the fact is that most people visiting DC are doing the tourist thing and just looking for a bargain place to sleep that isn't too bad.

Until the market does sort itself out, as people eventually realize the income to hassle ratio might not be worth it, we just have to make do.