Way too many annoying changes in our listings - almost every day now...

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Way too many annoying changes in our listings - almost every day now...

I constantly notice some minor changes in my listing: these changes may be small and seemingly unimportant - yet they are annoying, especially if they are not helpful at all but rather make a decent description from before more obscure and actually incorrect.

So I  just stumbled upon one of those changes this morning: while before it said somewhere in my listing that there are animals (cat) on the property, it now shows up in house rules, as an extra point at the bottom:

Screen shot 2017-04-29 at 2.27.50 PM.png

I am annoyed because:

1.,) There are way too many of such changes, seems like almost daily. I like to have a firm understanding of my own listing, and where to find certain things in there, so to find such changes almost constantly and having to adjust to it, is rather irritating.

2.) these changes  are always done without the host's knowledge, so one has to stumble upon them, as if by accident. As someone who takes care of her listing and how things are worded, I don't like the fact that I only find those changes by luck or by coincidentally looking at my own listing.

3.) If those changes were beneficial to the listing, to clarify things for hosts and guests alike, okay, I would just go with the flow and  get used to them - but often enough, those changes made are not an improvement over how it was before, in fact they actually contribute to more misunderstandings about a listing:

examples:

a.) this new change today, "cat lives in the house" could actually alarm the guests:  to preempt any kind of misunderstanding about where my cats are, I had to now put a clarifyer into my description, that the cats we own are not ever in the guest apartment.  It was much better before, whereas it simply acknowledged that the host was  a pet owner and that there was a pet "on the property".

b.) a few weeks ago, we had a change in the basic description, where suddenly Airbnb classified the lodging types differently from before. My listing was suddenly an "entire house" : no, incorrect - it is a separate apartment, connected to the house, but surely not the "entire house". I manually corrected it to "entire apartment".

Makes you wonder which brilliant minds come up with all these changes....

4.) A number of us hosts here are happy to help newer, more inexperienced hosts with something about their listing or their bookings: these constant changes only make it harder for us to extend quality advice and suggestions, as we need to constantly be aware of yet another change that came down the pike...

All in all: I wish Airbnb wouldn't  spend their energies on  fixing what ain't broke - but to put their energies into what truly needs fixing.

43 Replies 43
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I couldn't agree more. The pimple faced coders seem to have no real worl experience. I shuddered when I watched some of the Airbnb Q&A videos

I agree too. I have previously remarked that I think AirBnb as an organisation should divert staff into support roles and away from further enhancements of the IT platform. Most of the time the 'enhancements' are not enhancements. But the real issue is how the changes are communicated to the hosts. Can we have a 'What's new' community where changes can be announced?  It would be interesting to know why the changes were implemented, but failing that just an announcement of what's new would help. 

@Dennis-And-Gwen0, a while back I had (naively?) proposed  here in the forum to get informed about changes, just as you are suggesting now also, thinking that surely that wouldn't be too difficult to do. But as I now see changes in the platform all the time, I realize that info about it is just about impossible, as 5 minutes later it's different again.

@Annette33

And changes may not be rolled out globally, so what is a reality in the US may not be so around Europe or elsewhere.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Annette33

All in all: I wish Airbnb wouldn't  spend their energies on  fixing what ain't broke - but to put their energies into what truly needs fixing... like :

1. calendar issues
  2. pet fee option added
  3. Airbnb contact informations added
  4. easy and quick access to help desk 
  5. toddlers and infants do not stay for free by default
  6. calendar option  for multiple rooms in one house 
  7. calendar sincronization between listings 
  8. security deposit and effective , quick and fair damage claim process
  9. reviews in cronological order
  10. better explanation of cancelation penalties without small prints
  11. better explanation of star rating system to guests
  12. more libaral star rating system ( 4 is very good and not a fail )
  13. value and location removed from star rating
  14. currency convertion fee removed if guest can pay in the same currency
  15. default instant booking turned off

continue the list....

16. Added option to block a particular guest from booking

That's a good one. I hate how our response and acceptance rates go down if we don't preapprove someone or respond to them. I have people who don't read any of my description then literally ask all the main ideas of my listing. How many beds? Do we get the whole place? (Its under private room). Can we have more than 2 people? (It sleeps up to 4. They actually get an apartment that is within my home, but that's another categorical complaint about a much needed airbnb improvement). What is worse is having guys email me as if it was a dating site trying to get to know me with heart emojis as if its a dating site. What am I supposed to do with that? To keep my stats up I have to reply. I can't preapprove them obviously. Airbnb micromanages peoples lives. It is just way out of hand. They have to back off a little.

Now your ad need to be asked to continue after point #15 and when I clicked, it did not - so you only have presumably half your comment showeing.

Jj0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

I totally agree - find Airbnb have long become too controling and too much in my face trying to do the thinking for us, and come up with more intricately ways to organize just about everything in there to a T, when they should just leave things be. Seems they've employed too many people and need to keep them busy.

I also find that Airbnb is very stringent with hosts having everything verified and up to snuff, or we were out if we do not push the 'agree' button. They had promised the same from guests so hosts know who we are inviting. However, most guests seem to quickly sign up on the spot with no hussle, so they can start browsing. Much is left missing, and barely have their country of origin included, let alone a profile photo of them. It is most often that grey shaded box that I get where a photo should be. It is upsetting when I know they have more on me then I have on them.

Airbnb has conveniently also found a way to omit what commission they are taking from the guest pertaining to our booking.

@Jj0 , I think Airbnb charges something like 10-15% service fee to the guests. Since that part has nothing to do with the payout to us hosts, it would only be confusing to a lot if hosts if Airbnb were to include it in the financial summary emailed to us with the booking confirmation.

About hosts needing to be verified: like guests, there are plenty of hosts out there who do not have a complete name or profile picture up, but an abbreviation of a name and pictures of houses or seaside. The missing disclosure goes both ways.

Yes that bothers me too. Why should someone know everything about me, obviously where I live, have access to my belongings... which is all expected. BUT why wouldn't we have their person info? Why shouldn't I know how to file theft charges on them if something was to occur. I have to go through airbnb and hope they have all that info to REQUEST a reimbursement? Why wouldn't trashing a place or theft be up to us to file a report against them. If they are in our homes, around our families, etc, we should have access to their ids or any other security info airbnb supposedly collects. We actually don't even have verification of what airbnb actually has on them.

Good point!  Yes and #7 is desperately needed. I have lost many guests because they could not track my other listings. All I can give them is the name of the post. Tried giving them the reference # but the systems thinks it is a phone # and blocks it for them. Guests give up and I do not hear back from them when I had the perfect choice for them. Happens often.

I have just had a guest who says his telenumber in his profile is wrong and has changed.

?????

How much should we TRUST air's guarantees?

In the context of this post about system changes that cause hosts to have to re-learn the platform, I am confused about your posting.  A guest changed the phone number and you are concerned about Air BNB guarantees.  Could you elaborated a bit please?