Ways to exceed guest's expectations?

Luke73
Level 8
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Ways to exceed guest's expectations?

Hi guys,

In the past few days, I have shared with you guys some of my tips to boost “guest’s expectations” because I believe that “guest's expectations” is one of the key values on Airbnb. For those who haven't read my posts before, here are some tips that exceed guest's expectations.

First, it's a welcome guest basket placed on your bed or table if you have a budget for it.

Second, it's offering a local treat to your guest if you have budget for that.

Third, it's creating an inspiring picture embedded on the wall to motivate and aspire your guest.

So, what is your way to exceed guest's expectations? Can you please share it with me because I would love to hear all of your ideas?

34 Replies 34
Jack90
Level 6
Queensland, AU

Those are all great ideas! Accuracy in photos (not overselling your place) also helps, welcome drink, little guide to the local area, personal touches such as making the effort to welcome them at check-in instead of just dropping the key off. Personally, so many guests think my property is just an apartment and get a suprise when they realise it's actually a house. Kind of frustrating for me but a bonus for guests I guess!

Melody-And-Peter0
Level 3
Massachusetts, United States

Thanks for the great topic!
Ways that I hope to exceed guest's expectations:

I have fresh flowers in all the rooms and on the dining room table. A small bottle of wine and a welcome card in each room, cookies on the kitchen counter, chilled bottles of fresh water in the fridge, an attractive bag with sleep masks and ear plugs on each bed, and a basket in the bathroom with little travel size toiletries that people may have forgotten. One extra that I learned about here on the forums which is making a BIG hit with my guests is a set of small chalk boards on which I write a personal welcome note to each arriving guest. Our guests seem to love this and it also lets them know who else is staying in the house that night. I read somewhere here that one should "under-sell and over-deliver". Thats become my BnB motto! 🙂

Marco65
Level 6
Rome, Italy

I always leave biscuits, snacks, juices and mineral water in the fridge, candy in the bedrooms, if the season allows, I buy chocolate, in the bathrooms perfumes are available, different for summer and winter, now in the summer I make available Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Bulgari and Elizabeth Arden, and I make available all that is needed to remove the make up, including an Estee Lauder so expensive that they do not even buy it in my family! At the beginning I also left a note near the bedside table with a welcome phrase. In the refrigerator there are Italian liquors available to guests.

Do you run a business or a charity? 

Dear @Helga0, I can't help it, I like to buy things for guests, pamper them.Then I can tell you something else, I like to stand out and offer something that you will never find in any apartment or in any luxury hotel.This is a genuine passion with a touch of strategy.

However not everyone understands, I had a guest who called my apartment "functional"! And I said it all.......

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

I leave fresh fruit and veggies, wine, soft drinks, cookies, chocolate and fresh bread.

the worst guest is a hungry one.

also, i haven't updated my photos so when the guests arrive they are in shock.

new door, blinds,lighting,table,etc.

that way I exceed the guest's expectations.

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

I'm a brand new host and I'm trying my best to make guests comfortable and happy.  I leave bottled water in the fridge, crackers and snacks in a basket on the table, travel size soap, shampoo, etc., coffee, creamer, sweeteners and a Thank You card near the coffee machine. 

I have brochures for several points of interest and a small map of the surrounding area highlighting places to eat.  Still I don't know if my guests expect more.  Should I leave breakfast items?  So far I've hosted two sets of couples and one single man.  My next bookings are a group not staying overnight for a fashion photo shoot, a couple for one night and a single woman visiting from England for 4 nights.

@Carol-Lee1, I think it might be worthwhile to leave some basic breakfast items for your guests.  Here is what I leave:

1 package of 6 English muffins, usually about $2 (if it's a big group I leave two packages)

5-6 jars of Bonne Maman jams - $4 each, last through many guests (I also have about 2-3 jars of sugar free jams from other brands - they do get used too)

1/4 butter (half a stick usually plenty), about $.75

jar of peanut butter and jar of almond butter (lasts through many guests)

either half pint of 1/2 1/2 for coffee or half quart of milk (for British tea drinkers or family with kids)

Keurig coffee pods (Kirkland Bold from Costco - about $0.33  per cup) and a range of teas  including herbal, fruit, and black tea

sugar, packets of Splenda and Sweet and low

I think I spend less than $6 or 7 per group of guests on these breakfast items and they often mention how "everything was provided" 

I also almost always have fresh flowers from Trader Joes' - $4 per bouquet

Also have some packets of "famine foods", such as instant oatmeal and ramen noodles (surprisingly popular!) in the cupboard for starving midnight arrivals.  I also provide them with spices, oil and vinegar, and condiments like ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise etc. in case they want to cook.  These last through many guests.

Hope you enjoy your hosting experience!

Susie

I love that you shared the costs of all your extras, @Susie5!  My little bookkeeper heart is just tickled 🙂

@Nina0, I can't help it - I'm an economist! 🙂

Just had my first family that stayed 4 days in our apartment.  They left salad dressing and a bottle of ketchup in the refrigerator.  Should I keep them, or throw them out?  I was planning on going to our local restaurant supply store and buying single serving packets of ketchup, mayo, etc.  Leaving open, unused bottles in the refrigerator seems gross to me, but the waste is not good either.  What do other hosts do?

Things that come in bottles, where you pour out the liquid, and which everyone needs, do not seem gross to me. For ketchup or salad oil, it seems rather unprobable that someone drinks from the bottle neck. I leave such things and may use them too, when they are left. But I pour out all soft drinks and open water bottles. 

Johanna, if they are items that don't present a hygiene issue, we keep them in the refrigerator for our next guests. In fact, we keep the fridge stocked with common condiments. Our guests really appreciate it. 

@Carol-Lee1, I went back to see some of my reviews which mentioned breakfast. Here are a few recent mentions of the breakfast items I detailed in another reply to your post:

1. The kitchenette is stocked with basic food stuffs so we didn't have to rush out to a grocery store or restaurant (e.g., variety of coffees and teas, cereal, condiments).
  2. We really appreciated that Susie left us some tea, coffee, muffins etc. as we got in late and appreciated breakfast first thing!
  3. It was very thoughtful of you to get us those English muffins, we thoroughly enjoyed them with the preserves in the fridge
  4. Were so grateful to have some food, drinks and cereals, since we arrived at her place after a long flight and hadn't had the chance to go shopping the first day.