We can see star ratings of guests!?

Answered!
Alexandre205
Level 9
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

We can see star ratings of guests!?

Has anybody noticed this also? We can see the star ratings of booked guests now!

In the Messages window, under "About this guest" in the left column, I can see the Overall rating of each of my guests (past, present and future). And when I click, the detailed ratings appear (Cleanliness, Communication, Observance of House Rules). Surprisingly (unsurprisingly), some always reviewed as clean, easy, respectful ... don't have 5* everywhere.

Maybe the game will be fairer now, although there could be more categories. Some guests will think twice before misbehaving ...

1 Best Answer
Caroline443
Level 4
Braunston, United Kingdom

It looks as though you can only get access to the star ratings of your guests if you agree to do instant book.  This doesnt seem right!

I have hosted over 88 different trips since January and am fully booked most of the time. I do not use instant book as past experience has shown me that you can at times prevent problems if you can communicate with people before they book (e.g when they want to bring pets) . People's messages can also be quite revealing and there are times when it makes sense to decline their request (e.g a hen night).      As a very active (super) host I feel quite strongly that I should be able to see the guests' ratings, especially as they can see mine as a host!

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Alexandre205 I must be blind... Can you post a screenshot? I guess Airbnb yet again is dividing the whole world of hosts into different setting groups.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Alexandre205
Level 9

@Marzena, this is what I see on the Messages window:

_ for guests.jpg

And when I click Overall rating, a popup window opens:

_ for guests 2.jpg

We're superhosts, in case that would be a factor.

To complement the screenshots from the desktop platform, here are screenshots from the mobile app:

app1.jpg

app2.jpg

It is said by the app itself: "As an Instant Book host, you can now view how guests are rated by other hosts."

Hi all,

To keep from having to scroll down so far this is what I understand.

You get star ratings for guests if you use Instant Booking.

Instant Booking promises you you can cancel without penalty if the guest doesn't answer any of your questions and if you find out they will be breaking one or more of your rules.

And - some think if you turn on IB for awhile (not sure how long) that the star rating for your reserved guests will still be displayed after you turn it off.

I have used IB successfully in the past for a bedroom and think I will use it for my pool house and see how it goes. Check out IB in the help section for all the particulars and perks they give for using that feature. I've never really had a problem of someone else wanting to book it within a couple hours - some of you who have more popular places may have that issue so the IB  will cost you a bit of time.

HOpe this helps and keeps it simpler for you.

Lisa36
Level 5
Australia

Oh thanks for that.  I couldn't find it but you've explained where it is.  You have to be an Instant Book  host, though.

Alexandre205
Level 9

Yes, we are on Instant Book.

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

Past, present, future guests...even those not using IB?

Alexandre205
Level 9

I did the test to turn off IB, and I could still see the guest ratings after that.

For those who don't use IB, just turn it on for a short while to see if it has any effect.

Unless it's temporary and localized, I expect official update news from Airbnb.

But for the time being, I can only suppose that it might be a privilege given because you meet certain criteria?

"For those who don't use IB, just turn it on for a short while to see if it has any effect."

Those of us who don't use Instant Book, don't use it for a reason.  We don't want that effect.

I am new to Airbnb and I'm concerned that just anyone can come and stay in my home where I live.  Can you tell me a 'work around' how i can check out my guest before I accept them?

I believe IB has to be turned on for you to see the guest's star ratings. For those guests that have booked with IB off, no star ratings even if you turn IB on after the guest has booked. In order to see the star ratings of guests the IB must be turned on prior to the booking. I assume it is done this way as a perk for having IB turned on. Clear as mud?

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

That’s a load of hose poop that you can only see star ratings for guests if you use IB. What is that? Some kind of reward or something? I have an outside space that’s IB and an inside space that’s not— c’mon kids at the wheel. Give us a break, please ? 

Karen307
Level 4
Durham, NC

@Alexandre205 Thanks so much for pointing this out. I don't think I'd have notices it otherwise. 

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Alexandre205 That's great thanks for the heads up!