We can see star ratings of guests!?

Answered!
Alexandre205
Level 9
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

We can see star ratings of guests!?

Has anybody noticed this also? We can see the star ratings of booked guests now!

In the Messages window, under "About this guest" in the left column, I can see the Overall rating of each of my guests (past, present and future). And when I click, the detailed ratings appear (Cleanliness, Communication, Observance of House Rules). Surprisingly (unsurprisingly), some always reviewed as clean, easy, respectful ... don't have 5* everywhere.

Maybe the game will be fairer now, although there could be more categories. Some guests will think twice before misbehaving ...

1 Best Answer
Caroline443
Level 4
Braunston, United Kingdom

It looks as though you can only get access to the star ratings of your guests if you agree to do instant book.  This doesnt seem right!

I have hosted over 88 different trips since January and am fully booked most of the time. I do not use instant book as past experience has shown me that you can at times prevent problems if you can communicate with people before they book (e.g when they want to bring pets) . People's messages can also be quite revealing and there are times when it makes sense to decline their request (e.g a hen night).      As a very active (super) host I feel quite strongly that I should be able to see the guests' ratings, especially as they can see mine as a host!

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42
Alexandre205
Level 9

You disagree, and then what?

How do you want guests to do Instant Book if they have to show their star ratings before?

Airbnb already gives you the option to prevent guests with thumbs downs to book, it's not bad.

Besides, there are for sure some bad guests who still carry 5* everywhere and only positive reviews, it can happen.

Instant Book also means no work to convince people to book your place. So there must be a compromise.

Airbnb can cancel Instant Books without your consent, if the guest has bad records in their system.

It already happened to us. Booking confirmed, and 30 minutes later, canceled.

Airbnb probably avoided us a little nightmare. There wasn't any review, but maybe it was a recreated profile.

If you don't accept a part of risk, you shouldn't do this. Nothing will protect you 100%.

If you attract guests with 1 star ratings, then your listing might have a problem.

There are ways to discourage horrible people from booking your place.

You should treat your guests equally, great or not great. Some will give you more work and worries than others, that's all.

But if they pay more or less the same prices, they must get the same services.

By the way, we didn't really rehabilitate the guest in question.

Although she fell in love with our place and our hospitality, and gave us 5* everywhere, she didn't deserve our full support after we saw how she left our place. Nothing catastrophic though. So she got a mitigated review.

We let customers proving themselves (or not), before assessing them.

If you're a serial complainer (like other participants in this forum), you will draw bad reviews from bad guests.

We can see them for past, present, and future guests. This is amazing. The guests that were a problem of course have lower stars! We've never canceled because we were always unsure and that gave us some awful guests and experiences, so this is a huge and awesome thing for us now. If we are unsure, and they have low stars, we can cancel and feel good that we dodged a bullet. We have had some seriously awful people in our home and once they are here you are stuck! We'd like to avoid this.

I totally agree with you.

I keep thinking that written communication with guests is our best tool to assess them and make our own opinion.

If the average ratings are really scary, not from 1 or 2 trips but far more, you may prefer to cancel because the guests are likely to repeat their wrongdoings with you.

But if you find out that there was a problem with a specific host, you can ask some oriented questions to reassure you.

For me, prompt and structured answers play in favor of guests.

It is a new Airbnb feature which was in my AIRBNB messages when I sat at the big computer the other day, I saw they announced it. No reward or requirement. They simply added the feature. It can be useful. 🙂

Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

So now we'll have a level playing field! Will all reviews be published or hand picked? 

Alexandre205
Level 9

As far as we are concerned, we can see the average ratings of all our guests, from the very first to the furthest, instant booked or not.

MariaDeLosAnge1
Level 2
Havana, Cuba

Hi all,

I cannot see yet any star ratings for guests. I assume that will be possible in the near future. Thanks for the heads up @Alexandre205.

You're welcome, @Maria.

You should be able to see them in your confirmed reservations, Instant Book or not (imo).

Whether it's applied worldwide, or only in some zones, or only if you meet some criteria, that's the question mark ...

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

I am starting to look at guests reviews that they write for hosts. I just had a guest that dinged me for noise in the park accross the street. There were children playing on the small swingset and we had a small Police appreciation picnic that I invited thme to attend.

In the next sentende he said the streets were bare and although he thought it was safe he did not feel safe. and he said my historic neighbor hood looked run down and old. the house here are not perfect and pristine but there is no low income housing in my neighborhood. Owners are from all walks of life and we have a lor of artisans. He also said it looked low income from bare streets. My neighbor rents a parking space in my driveay for her brand new lexus ' When I looked at the reviews he wrote for psrevious hosts everyone said so ans was a wonderful host but picky picky made up or probably exagerated. He also gove me 3 stars even though he said I was a wonderful host. I think airbnb should throw out reiews like that you should not be allowed to say the apartment is lovely the host is lovely and then give 3 stars. I am going to spend the time to read the reviews they write and let them know I am turning them down because they gove too many bad reviews .  It should be easier to look at them. that way we vould avoid whiney complainers.

MariaDeLosAnge1
Level 2
Havana, Cuba

Hi @Alexandre205, You were right, I can see the  star ratings of booked guests. I was looking before in the incorrect place.

Thanks!

I noticed today that I can only see the star ratings on the mobile app and not the desktop. Wonder why that is?

More confusion for your pleasure!

Stacey115
Level 4
Boulder, CO

Still cannot see potential guest ratings and I have IB. also another poster mentioned being able to see how guests have rated other hosts.  I cannot find that either. I’m on iPhone app and safari browser on my Mac laptop, if that helps.