We'd like to see a Super Guest category, then be able to turn on Instant Booking for them.

William3
Level 8
Coburg, Australia

We'd like to see a Super Guest category, then be able to turn on Instant Booking for them.

Any hosts out there interested in having Airbnb set up "Instant Book for Super Guests" only?
There are Super hosts, why not have Super guests? Then ask Airbnb to have the functionality "Instant booking for SuperGuests". We're not allowing Instant Booking without Better assurances, verifications are not enough, nor are "positive reviews". Why not a 5 Star question, "Do you recommend this guest for SuperGuest Status?"
Cheers, Bill

83 Replies 83

I've rented my guest apartment (winter rental) out now for 12 years by other means; not Airbnb.  Last week my first Airbnb guest arrived - it felt weird not knowing anything about them.

I would very much appreciate a Super Guest category (and be able to turn on IB for them) because at this point I don't trust the current Airbnb system.  My very first Airbnb guest was a big disappointment and an educational experience for me - I learned that I just do not care for the fact that there is a stranger at my house - I hand them the keys and I really know nothing about them .... sure they are verified, and have one good review; however this person is really the strangest guest that I have ever had in 12 years!

I would like to see this.  My current Airbnb guest & I were just speaking about the lopsided review structure. I have had a couple of problematic experiences w. guests who were booked by a reviewed family member.  Ex. recently a well reviewed sister booked her learning disabled brother w. me. Prior to this, a son booked his elderly non English speaking mother.  In fairness, I didn't feel right about posting a host review for these (non) guests. Currently I maintain my own file w. notes on guests.  I must say that my guests, over the past years, have been overwhelmingly good (by my standards) and the majority I would classify as Super Guests!

Hello !  

A super guest would be great and also correct. 

Why at the moment, the star rating we, as hosts, give to guest do NOT appear ANYWHERE ?  It's just a fiction, in order to give the host the impression that he can say something.  

I don't know if you realized it but we're all doing this ratings for nothing !! Only the ratings given by a guest appear somewhere !  That's not nice treatment from Airbnb ! Sorry ! 

I must agree with Alin .... after getting a review from my very first guest yesterday - I agree that the review system stinks for hosts.

I waited with baited breath for a little hint of feedback from my guest during her stay; even asked “is everything is okay”, “are you comfortable”, “do you have everything you need?” ….. this and that ….  and felt that they kinda knew that but didn’t want to tell me until the ….... taa daaaa ….. big REVIEW.  Maybe it was so then their feedback would be a SURPRISE …. like a surprise knock on the side of the head.

I realize that most guests are probably not like this but .... dang!  ..... I wanted my first review to be perfect.  😞   What she said in her public review could have very easily been said in private feedback because it is quickly and easily corrected and done with; and now that REVIEW is there on my profile forever.

Also Airbnb asks you to price your accommodations dirt cheap until you get those "great reviews" so in the beginning you are at your guest's mercy just for the reviews and not making much.  If you are unfortunate enough to get someone that can't be pleased no matter what - then you are screwed!   Also what I made on this person did not even cover all the prep work, window cleaning people, new kitchen small appliances, etc.  Well, I know I need better pictures that is going to take some time - I just got a new computer – and I am older – not very computer literate; one thing at a time.

Well I have now raised my price up a little because having the price set too low did not work for me.

You are so right Alin, "That's not nice treatment from Airbnb !" 

Sorry - I'm venting here ... but I am so glad I found this board and this thread.

I understand you perfectly. Good hosts can be screwed in a "Splish Spash".. Reviews take no account of the over expectations of the guest and the normally small price they paid.

I agree, I have just experienced a first time airbnb guest that I would not like to be immediately considered for IB. Not bad but discourteous and pompous, he found a typo in my guidebook that he decided to take advantage of.  (11pm check out as apposed to 11am) I have had the same guidebook with over 64 guests and no one ever tried to exploit that typo or tell me about it. Plus he didn't appreciate that I had body soap instead of bar soap.

I would like to see the thumbs up thumbs down to be more specific. I am seriously thinking of turning off IB without more screening assurances. As Airbnb tries to lure more of the business travel, this problem will increase.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello,

I am not a fan of the instant book as there are a couple flights a day which land at midnight from Australia so I don't like guests turning up in the middle of the night.  I've let guests book with their arrival time like this...but now I decline bookings if they are arriving that late as I know I can get other bookings now.  

Anyway, I have recently been in contact with @AirbnbHelp via twitter asking them why we give star ratings to guests and where that information goes as I would like to see star ratings on guests profiles.  I got a few patronising answers but one answer was

"Hi, the information is internal for now, we definitely hear where you're coming from and we truly appreciate your feedback. We'll pass this along to the right team. Thank you"

So I think the more people who query this with Airbnb, hopefully we can get some action around it.  

Cheers,

Punam

Yes. I think that is an excellent idea.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

It is fantastic to see so many responses and thoughts on this. It does sound like most of you give it the thumbs up, thanks so much for sharing.

Just to let you know I have just proposed this feature idea over to Airbnb from you all, which I have to say is such a pleasure for me to do. A big pat on the back and kudos to @William3 for his idea and for starting this all off.

I hope this will be the start of many ideas we can feed through to the team, which is very exciting, so please do feel free to start a topic.

Please do continue to add your thoughts to this thread, it is great to get as many opinions on this as possible. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Its a great Idea

Florencia0
Level 6
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Yes, absolutly. I totally support this idea!

A "Superguest", or whatever you want it to call, will give guests a true incentive to behave better on our places. In fact, I wouldn´t mind on playing with this feature a little further like by letting hosts add an extra discount for Superguests. I mean, who could not want to give an extra 5% of discount for those that treat your place with respect and who won´t want to shine as a guest if there are benefits on being one.

I also believe that to make this feature work we need to have a Guest Overall start rating to rate, and then the system could apply the same rules that applies on the SuperHost program. A Superguest could be someone that have travel at least 3 or 5 times, has reach 5 stars in Overall at least 80% of the time, that don´t have a cancelation and have a high response rate within the last year. I also think that Instant Booking could include a new filter to let "Superguests only" use IB.

Yes, and also guests who have not checked out early and got a refund more than once.  I think guests should be allowed to do that only one time because I believe that is very unfair to hosts; when there is no complaint and it is no fault of the host, yet hosts are still expected to give a partial refund for the days not used.

@Florencia0

I would totally host SuperGuest with even 10% discount. Though I am afraid if this information leaks into public, some guests(usually not so nice ones) will haggle to get that discount, claiming whatever excuse they use.....

Probably "not so nice" guests that haggle would not make super guest rating.

Belinda41
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Definitely!  I was actually thinking about it, which is why I googled it and came to this thread.  Guests should also have a rating to which they may aspire and get some sort of benefits as a result.  It will help the whole community, I think.  Belinda