We may inherit a goat-- anyone do a farm stay at their Airbnb?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We may inherit a goat-- anyone do a farm stay at their Airbnb?

So in addition to everything else going on right now in the world, I was just informed that we may be inheriting a goat from a neighbor at our cottage. Pygmy goat, neutered, long story as to why this is happening that I won't bore you with...could be a temporary situation or not. We have the skills needed to provide goat care at least on a temporary basis and have the ability to do fencing and housing fairly quickly. Its not 100% that this will happen. Kind of a crazy thing.

ANYHOO if we do get this little guy, we would have nowhere to put him with enough space in a rural environment except at our Airbnb. Which means that guests would interact with him in some way, assuming we have guests in the next few months. He is a friendly goat and we already have chickens from the neighbors who wander into the yard that our guests enjoy watching. (There are two roosters next door now. Adolescent. Guests don't enjoy the crowing as much especially at 4am.) 

Anyone here have a farm stay or any kind of livestock on their Aribnb property? Do your guests interact with your animals? What sorts of safety and other guidelines do  you have in place? What is your advice? 

6 Replies 6
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 - Someone in Denmark, I seem to remember from the December story pages? ...... Maybe you need someone closer to home......?!

@Helen350 I would be interested in any perspectives right now. This is as the news media likes to say an "emerging situation."

Barbara2157
Level 3
Canonsburg, PA

My daughter just spent a weekend immersed in a goat farm in Spain.  The pictures were adorable.  The goats were the exclusive draw for spending a weekend at this property.  I don't know about precautions or concerns but I know she and her boyfriend loved spending the weekend with the livestock.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I've never seen a Pigmey Goat and have no idea how much care this goat needs. Goats here are raised only at some very distant mountain villages, where the conditions are very hard. And they need a lot of care.

If you can open this link: (http://photoplace.bg/photo/631394 ), you will see a picture, showing where the goats normally live. There is no Airbnb's there. And no tourists at all.

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

One thing you might want to check into is liability issues, especially if children stay there. What if the goat bites someone?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I've had an Anglo Nubian goat at accommodation,  but as he was 100kg and guests sometimes went in paddock this was too dangerous. But a pygmy might be ok. It will probably headbutt, they do. Mine would try cracking your femur. You'll need secure fencing because goats are buggers for getting out