We’re reaching out because you were recently in contact with an account that was removed

Marvin17
Level 2
Columbus, OH

We’re reaching out because you were recently in contact with an account that was removed

Hello my fellow host. I am wondering if anyone else has unknowingly booked a fraudulent account? So I try to give most people a fair chance. I was contacted by someone wanting to book my place the day of. I asked my typical screening questions and there were not any details of the trip that stood out as alarming to me. So I go ahead and book the person. The same day I get a very general email from the Trust and Safety Team stating that I have been in contact with an account that has since been removed for violating Airbnb policy. I do not think too much of it as I interact with multiple inquiries every week although only a few of them book. So I assume there is no way this fraudulent account could be a guest that has successfully booked my place because every host and guest has to go through a very thorough background check. Even in the off chance that Airbnb did fail at catching the perp before allowing them to book, they would for sure immediately cancel the reservation of this fraud account right? NO! So not only does Airbnb send a vague email never saying which guest I was in contact with was a fraud, but they allow them to keep their reservation and not call me urgently to warn me. So now the safety of myself and my property have been put in great danger. All the while I am communicating and even meeting up with a criminal. As if this is not heinous enough, now Airbnb has decided to place a freeze on the money I was supposed to get from this booking. While I absolutely despise fraud, I still deserve to be paid. I could have just as easily allowed a trustworthy guest to stay in my place. It is not my fault that the Trust and Safety Team failed to do their job of actually keeping me safe. So now I am battling the terrible "Trust and Safety Team" about getting the funds remitted to me. It has been 6 days since this incident happened and they have not replied to any of my messages. Which seems to be a common theme from reading other discussions in the community. This is actually the second time I have battled with this department. The first time it was about getting reimbursed for damaged sheets which took about a month for me to get paid. I was only paid because the rep stated the investigation into the damages had taken so long that he would just out right pay me for my inconvenience. Be aware my fellow host. I have been hosting for almost a year now but Airbnb does not seem to be the trustworthy and safe company I once thought it to be. 

1 Reply 1
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Marvin17

Hosts and Guests going through a thourough background check? 

I would describe it as basic at best, sounds like you need to ensure you check ID on every arrival. At least that way you will know who is staying with you.

David