What's your thoughts on Weather cancellations?

Answered!
Justin8
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

What's your thoughts on Weather cancellations?

We have rentals in South Florida.  So, everyone comes here for the sunshine.   When guests book through out website we Strongly urge them to purchase travel insurance that allows them to cancel and we still get paid.  We tell them them medical emgergencies and come up and Miami Beach can have hurricanes.  The cost of the insurance is usually only $20-$50 but rarely does anyone purchase it.  So, those few times when someone needs to cancel due to a medical problem or a pending hurricane, we tell them to contact the travel insurance company that we strongly recommened they purchase.  When they say they didn't want to spend the extra $20 on insurance they realize it's not responsibilty to cover their cancelation. 

Now guests that book through airbnb are not offered that travel insurance and we have 5 bookings this weekend that want to cancel their bookings because Hurricane IRMA Might hit Florida.  It seems airbnb is agreeing to refund them their bookings and pay me nothing.. Why should I as a host have to cover all the housing expense of a cancelled booking by a guest that didn't purchase travel insurance.   Airlines and hotels don't cancell bookings and refund customers because a hurricane Might happen. 

Any thoughts?

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justin8

Unfortunately it's one of the T&Ca that you have agreed to. Adverse weather is one extenuating circumstance.

You can't force people to take out insurance - and even if they do, it will be much easier for them to claim from AirBnB than go through an insurance company. It's part and parcel of hosting.

Luckily (so far) in the UK (London) we don't have such adverse weather conditions, yet flights still get cancelled etc. and we just treat it as part of doing business. If it's one night and they arrive the following day, without asking we give them 50% (in cash) back from the unused night - pretty much guarantees you a 5* review.

I would try and turn this climate event into an advantage. Recognise that you are really trapped by AirBnB's policy - however, you can emphathise with the guest who was looking forward to their stay and tell them if they rebook you will give them a 10% discount. That would be my approach and I would be delighted if I was a guest and my holiday was ruined to get an email from a host with that offer... I'd rebook!

Keep safe!

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Scott241
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

We are in the same boat, but the guest actually stayed for 5 out of the 10 nights.

Do we have to return the cost of the other 5 nights?

@Scott241 - you need to read about your cancellation policy and what is refunded by Airbnb.  If the guest meets the Extenuating Circumstances policy, Airbnb will refund them.  If not, you will be paid for the amount allowed by your policy.  If you want to give the guests a larger refund, you can do so using the Resolution Center.  

In my ideal world, guests would have travel insurance to protect them and hosts from these cancellations.

Since airbnb does not yet offer insurance and since unfortunately many guests don't buy it (maybe exactly because they feel they can cancel anytime for extenuating circumstances), then in this situation, if there is a hurricane and guests have to evacuate (we of course want them to be safe), host should at least keep 50% of the cancelled nights. That would be just fair for both parties. 

@Justin8 - It is one of the refund policies that Airbnb has and you agreed to with the Terms and Conditions.  It's called Extenuating Circumstances.  It works to protect us as hosts too if we need to cancel because of weather, death or illness.  If you choose to board up your rentals right now and cancel all the pending reservations, you would be fined as much as $100 per reservation as well as all the other penalties that go with a host cancel but because there is a weather-related issue, you would be covered.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/149/what-is-the-airbnb-cancellation-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1341/are-there-exceptions-to-the-host-cancellation-penalties

If this doesn't work for you, there are other platforms other than Airbnb to post your listing.  

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

If you feel that safe, why don't you just sit where you are and watch a nice film on Netflix?

To tell you the truth, if I had guests booked for this weekend, I'd be messaging them right now urging them to cancel and go somewhere else.... Like Colorado.   While it's impossible to tell what this Hurricane is going to do, it is obvious that it will effect you more than it will impact me, and I feel damned uncomfortable right now.  I care more about my guests safety than I do about losing a weekends income.

You've got loss of use on your insurance policy don't you?  Perhaps it's time for you to get in touch with your agent, and find out how to file a claim.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is no Insurance a Guest could buy that would be as braod as the Extenuating Circumstances Policy of AirBnB, no Insurer would offer such cover.

David
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Justin8

Unfortunately it's one of the T&Ca that you have agreed to. Adverse weather is one extenuating circumstance.

You can't force people to take out insurance - and even if they do, it will be much easier for them to claim from AirBnB than go through an insurance company. It's part and parcel of hosting.

Luckily (so far) in the UK (London) we don't have such adverse weather conditions, yet flights still get cancelled etc. and we just treat it as part of doing business. If it's one night and they arrive the following day, without asking we give them 50% (in cash) back from the unused night - pretty much guarantees you a 5* review.

I would try and turn this climate event into an advantage. Recognise that you are really trapped by AirBnB's policy - however, you can emphathise with the guest who was looking forward to their stay and tell them if they rebook you will give them a 10% discount. That would be my approach and I would be delighted if I was a guest and my holiday was ruined to get an email from a host with that offer... I'd rebook!

Keep safe!

Maria1803
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

hotels do full refunds for this cases

Captain-Cathy0
Level 2
Matlacha Isles-Matlacha Shores, FL

Alberto is this year's 2108 first named storm set to drench the Gulf Coast of Florida. With this is the threat of flash flooding, rip currents, strong winds, coastal flooding and tornadoes. It is expected to strengthen this weekend. My neighborhood is flooded and the rain is constant. We have witnessed funnel clouds just to the south in Naples, FL. We expect winds gusting over 30 mph with isolated tornados and very rough seas. There is a flood watch in place. These conditions are projected to last through Memorial Day. I reached out to my guests to make them aware of the conditions here in SWFL. My goal is to make sure my guests have the best experience with Airbnb. I felt it was my duty to inform them of the local weather conditions and forecast. We discussed options and agreed it would be best to reschedule at another time.

Joel357
Level 1
Royse City, TX

Your worried about your money and your expenses from the concellation I get it, but I think the safety of the customers is more important. I believe Abnb did a good thing by refunding them. 

John2504
Level 2
Austin, TX

Rain cancellation is nonsense. 

A hurricane or tropical storm is different. 

If it rains they can do plenty of indoor things and enjoy their trip.  It is not your liability if they decide to go swimming in something like a thunder storm or ignore a tornado warning.  These are unpredictable.

If you start cancelling because of any "storm" you'll start getting renters who want refunds for changing weather patterns during their stay.

Cara94
Level 1
Fort Wayne, IN

what do u have to cover lol u are letting someone use your property it seems u want to keep a lil bit of they money for services not rendered 

Kelly-The-Concierge0
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

This just happened to me with Hurricane Dorian. Why am I, as the host, also the uncompensated insurance company?  I will cancel my account with AirBNB and will direct all four of my rental units to a competitor. 

Agreed! We hosts should not be penalized in these situation, especially if we have Strict Cancellation policies and are even going the extra mile to suggest in advance that guests look into purchasing travel insurance. 
Airbnb extenuating circumstances give guests a lot of protection and almost no protection to hosts. Travel insurance is very affordable and airbnb should definitely offer it to guests, as their competitors do.

Someone above mentioned that hotels cancel for refund. Well, not all hotels and also we are not hotels....Airbnb business model is very different from hotels. Also most airbnb properties' night rate are a small fraction of what hotels of the same size/location would charge and that's one of the mains reasons guests decide to book through airbnb. Most of us hosts don't benefit from economies of scale that hotels benefit from and every cancellation translates into substantial financial loss for us. For hosts in locations prone to storms, cancellations can simply make our business unsustainable. A lot of people want to cancel due to storms (not just for actual hurricanes) and that's understandable but with the high frequency of storms in some areas, these cancellations happen way too often and it's impossible for those of us hosts with just a few properties to survive. Airbnb should find a Travel Insurance solution asap! That way all parties in these rental transaction are protected. 

In case of Hurricanes (not storms but real hurricanes) of course we don't want any guest to risk their lives by staying at our properties but the same way the hurricane wasn't their fault, it wasn't ours so we should at least share the financial burden in these situations. We don't stop paying the bills when the property is vacant due to guests' cancellations for bookings they voluntarily made. 

Moreover, if Airbnb can not offer Travel insurance, they should at least allow hosts to elect exactly which circumstances they would refund guests and let hosts decide if hosts want to completely deny extenuating circumstances. As far as I understand, airbnb team are not claim adjusters so how can we guarantee they know how to correctly evaluate and validate claims/documentations for extenuating circumstances?
Hosts should have the ability to decide if they can afford flexible cancellation policies or not and for those hosts that can't afford and so they elect strict policies, no refund should be given to guests who (voluntarily!) booked those specific properties with strict policies, after all no one is forcing a guest to book our property. They are adults and have to understand their risk. We elect strict policy for a property exactly because we have to match it to our risk tolerance. We can't survive in this business if guests cancel for every storm that happens in our area. It's up to the  Guest to read the clear cancellation policy and decide whether they want to take the risks associated with that booking or not. 
My family often rent properties with very strict policies and we understand the reasons behind those policies (many are in areas with volatile weather conditions) and before booking we have to decide if we will just absorb the loss should we have to cancel or if we will be buying travel insurance to mitigate the risk. Plain simple decision to make and it's up to us (who are guests in this scenario). We book the property if we want to take the risk. 

Whoever suggested above the "loss of use" clause on hosts insurance policies is probably not very familiar with what that means and for which situations it is applicable.Please read your policy carefully to better understand what you are covered for.