Weather cancellations

Answered!

Weather cancellations

Can anyone advise what happens with the Bad Weather and Cancellations on the day

As a Host do I have to give refunds etc ? (Glasgow Scotland)

1 Best Answer
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Derek94 If you have a guest who wants to cancel due to the weather, it's up to you if you wish to offer a refund, or stick to your cancelation policy. However, if you don't provide a refund voluntarily, the customer may still contact Airbnb and ask for a refund under the Extenuating Circumstances policy: see https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoida... for more details. Airbnb will review the situation and may decide to fully refund the guest regardless of your cancelation policy. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Derek94 If you have a guest who wants to cancel due to the weather, it's up to you if you wish to offer a refund, or stick to your cancelation policy. However, if you don't provide a refund voluntarily, the customer may still contact Airbnb and ask for a refund under the Extenuating Circumstances policy: see https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoida... for more details. Airbnb will review the situation and may decide to fully refund the guest regardless of your cancelation policy. 

Many thanks Alexandra that is a great help to me 

Hi Derek,

I just wanted to  check what your actions were to resolve? I'm in Edinburgh and was due to have guests staying Thursday - Sunday. They haven't cancelled but have informed us that their flights were cancelled so won't be staying. Did you cancel or ask your guests to cancel? How did you arrange for a refund without being out of pocket yourself?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rachel

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Police Scotland is advising against all travel so pretty likely that guests will wish to cancel. BUT why should the host carry all the loss. This should be covered by travel insurance. But who gets insurance for travel in the UK. Also if the guest cancels earlier a rebooking is possible for people who wish to stay over. 

Here in Windermere there is some snow but all routes are open. I have had a call already from the guy coming in tomorrow. We are going to offer a switch to an alternative date. 

Marcus90
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

The cancellation policy does seem unfair to the host. I had a cancel yesterday and the guy has asked for a refund through the resolution centre not really knowing what to do I gave it to him. Now I have had another enquiry to cancel but going to offer another day instead. Seems like the host is the only one who looses out here.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Has happened to me, now if the weather is really bad, far worse than you would get in the UK, I would contact the guest. I have had Guests cancel by contacting ABB and claiming Extenuating Circumstances when it was just a few inches and otherwise a gorgeous day.

Where I am it would be akin to being able to cancel because it rained.

David
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Derek94 

Be careful what you refund through the resolution center or you can be seriously out of pocket. 

With your moderate cancellation policy and a late cancellation, the guest is only liable for the first night and will be refunded 50% of the other nights via airbnb.   

After a guest cancels, there is normally a promt from airbnb to refund more. When you follow this link, the correct amount will be refunded to the guest by airbnb.

If you would want to be 100% sure you get it all correct when using the resolution center, it is best to postpone the refund until after the payout.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies?guest_fee_policy=grace_period_48_hours#moderate

Or do not do a thing - ask the guests to contact airbnb.

Todd338
Level 1
Madison, WI

If there are unsafe driving conditions would you feel right about your guest risking their family  traveling on the road because they can’t get a refund? 

There is a cost of doing business. If a meal turns out poorly in a restaurant, sometimes you have to comp a meal. If a package disappears in the mail it’s the seller who has to eat the cost. If a product is damaged in the box, the customer gets all the money they have to pay back. The customer/merchant relationship is an uneven relationship and it should be. You’re not doing then a favor. They’re paying you for a service that provides you income. Take situations like this into account when you have a business plan. Your reputation as a business depends on doing right by your customers!