Website for bad guests?

Tommy135
Level 3
Toronto, CA

Website for bad guests?

What do you guys think about a website where airbnb hosts can post their experience (with proof) of bad guests so other hosts are aware and reject guest bookings? kind of like a a blacklist for guests?

ive had guests ruin my cottage by leaving food all over the cottage. living room,  dining room, everywhere. It was horrible. 

also had a guest leave me a 3 out of 5 star review on things that i mention on the house rules, which I told her TWICE.. which she fully ignored when I told her to read it. 

I think having a blacklist for airbnb guests would be a good way to prevent these bad guests booking again and ruining host's airbnb business.

32 Replies 32

I hear you on all those tips for vetting, however, I had a guest who I had a dialogue with on the message platform. She received  over 10 great reviews and one really bad review from the host who went on for a whole page. I thought the host was a little over the top. So I hosted her. In her stay, she requested to stay a few more days and her  credit card was declined. She was the perfect Guest but never paid! Air bnb never did anything to give me a pay out! She loved her stay and had no complaints. Anyone ever hear of anything like that happening? How do you avoid that?

Excel thanks for the advice

Adir3
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Colleen, thank you for taking the time to give me a piece of very good advice. I am down and to a point that I want to sell the Condo, all the while I continue fighting back with the guests through the resolution center.  It is heartbreaking having the couch cut in several places to make a flagpole for the little boy's forte.

P.S. I just heard from Airbnb, and I will be reimbursed for the couch, now is the battle to overcome the "1-star rating given as a retaliation"

I will follow your advice in tightening up the rules. 

Thank you!

Emily491
Level 2
Washington, DC

I've had similar experiences!  I'm a superhost and have a 1 bedroom apartment that I rent out with a maximum of 4 guests.  Recently I've had 2 separate reservations book for 2 guests but they brought in 12 guests instead and partied all night.  For one of them there was vomit in the entry way and trashcans, and for the other there was marijuana residue and smell when they left.  Not to mention the noise they made throughout the night clearly bothering neighbors!  In my house rules, I list clearly that there are fines for breaking rules like bringing extra guests, partying, or smoking, but the real problem is that Airbnb doesn't enforce these rules.  If a guest doesn't want to pay a fine, they just don't and there's nothing that Airbnb can do about it according to their policy now.  I think the only way to help hosts trust that their guests will follow the house rules and be respectful to our properties is if Airbnb changes their policies and allows hosts with evidence like video surveillance or pictures of vomit, cigarette butts or marijuana, to actually charge these fees and have the guests pay them.  Right now, guests act however they want because they know they don't have to pay any fees if they break the rules.  Instant book or not, hosts need to be able to rely on enforcement from Airbnb if these blatant violations happen and right now this just isn't the case with Airbnb's current policies.  I've submitted feedback to Airbnb and I encourage other hosts to do the same because that's the only way they might listen.

After nearly 2 full years of being a Superhost, multiple arguments with bad guests and AirBNB who makes it so difficult to recover damages from crappy guests, I have decided to remove my listing from AirBNB.  If AirBNB decides to change their policy, I will consider using them again as as consistent platform.  I just had to lay off my housekeeper.  AirBNB is NOT listening to their biggest client - HOSTS.  Without us they don't exist. 

Michael3577
Level 3
Jamestown, NY

Lol. You hosts already have the review system railroaded. 

Airbnb hosts - they want fast, easy, cheap.. and if renters don't like it, they'll aim to defame, too! 

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Michael- After that review I just read about you, it would seem your airbnb days are done. That was quite an event. Spouting tenancy laws is a good way to turn an already tense situation further downhill. There is a way to defuse things but it seems you two one upped each other to the point of severe aggregation

It's good for hosts and other airbnb guests to know both sides of the story however I think the majority of votes wins in this case. Any host or host turned landlord would be foolish to host you after reading all of that and for good reason.

David3789
Level 2
San Diego, CA

After nearly 2 full years of being a Superhost, multiple arguments with bad guests and AirBNB who makes it so difficult to recover damages from crappy guests, I have decided to remove my listing from AirBNB.  If AirBNB decides to change their policy, I will consider using them again as as consistent platform.  I just had to lay off my housekeeper.  

@David3789

Hi david, I'm in LJ and we own and operate 2 WindanSea homes

We list on VRBO ( Best ) and Airbnb (Worst)

You really get what you pay for and you get zip from airbnb, especially when there's a problem in terms of non compliance to House rules regardless if a Police action occurs, Airbnb is NEVER there to support the property Owner. Instead, they REWARD the bad guest behavior.

Weather Owners are trying to collect for over occupancy? Smoking?, parties, pets, odors. - GOOD LUCK.

I positioned\ priced my listings so that only 10% of boking derive from ABB and 90$ from VRBO.

When I get a ABB inquiry, I tell them they can get a 10-15% discount booking on VRBO.

Then their Security Deposit ($750) and (500) are at stake if they violate the rental Agreement, or House Rules.

It may cost $499\yr to list with VRBO but it is like upgrading from a Volkswagen (airbnb support)  to a  Aston Martin (VRBO). You call VRBO and someone answers and quick. 

If you chose to charge or withhold Guest Security Deposit, that is your decision. (Although there must be a valid and legal reason for doing so, VRBO just doesn't let Owners "Steal" Security Deposits and they do reverse them when justifiable.

By far, the Airbnb platform, their software, their arrogant attitude towards Owners, and their LACK OF STANDING BEHIND OWNERS is APPAULING.

I would advise you to also list on VRBO, the best listing money you will ever spend. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Telling guests who inquire on Airbnb that they can get a discount by moving onto another platform is a good way to get your profile banned from Airbnb. @Roland31 

yes 

Where do you advertise then? So far Airbnb has been the best and I've never had major problems except with one of two guests, but then I live in the ho use, so that makes a huge difference. I can control things.

what I can suggest is to leave guest a review about what they have done to your listing(you can follow the steps on this link on how you can give review or feedback to your recent guest: https://m.wikihow.com/Leave-an-Airbnb-Review ), for you to be able to control your bookings even if your instant booking is turned on, it will be better to the additional requirements such as recommendation from other host and goverment-issued ID

please go to this link for further referrence: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/484/how-can-i-control-which-reservations-i-get-with-instant-book

I totally agree

Roland31
Level 2
San Diego, CA

@Colleen253 

I vet through and document bad renters here.

**Content removed in line with Community Centre Guidelines