Weehawken Hosting Ordinance and Rules/ Making Airbnb legal in Weehawken

Weehawken Hosting Ordinance and Rules/ Making Airbnb legal in Weehawken

Hi everyone,

We have been hosts in Weehawken for a little while and the township is asking us to cease hosting. There doesn't seem to be a specific ordinance banning Airbnb but, in the absence, I think we go by the Rooming and Boarding Act, which prohibits rooming and boarding except for licensed businesses. But we could try to get the same kind of ordinance that was just passed in Jersey City to allow people living in their houses to host on Airbnb as long as they are present when the rental happens. This would prevent people from buying apartments in condos and then using them solely for Airbnb (which is a nuisance to neighbours) and let people like us with their own multi-family houses choose to host people for short term rentals. Has anyone tried to contact the township to work with them on this? Is anyone interested in joining in this effort? It might be worth it. I am also trying to contact the Airbnb legal department to see what to do.

Antoine

9 Replies 9
Selin7
Level 2
Weehawken, NJ

Hi Danielle, 

I would be happy to join you in on this effort, if you can please give me a text in the am, I am going through the same problem with the town, would appreciate your insight on how you are going about this supposed ordinance against short term rent laws. 

Thank you! 

Selin

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Selin,

For some reason, I didn't see your responses from December. If you are still interested, let's try to connect. Since we can't post phone numbers here, we have to find a way to communicate or meet. Let me know if you have any ideas. 

All the best,

Danielle and Antoine

Danny-and-Jane0
Level 2
Rutherford, NJ

Yes I would be interested also-

Danny-and-Jane0
Level 2
Rutherford, NJ

Hello I would be interested to joint also how do we get together

Hi Selin and Danny,

For some reason, I didn't see your responses from December. If you are still interested, let's try to connect. Since we can't post phone numbers here, we have to find a way to communicate or meet. Let me know if you have any ideas. 

All the best,

Danielle and Antoine

Hector313
Level 1
New York, NY

Hello guy 

Hector313
Level 1
New York, NY

I want to join let me know when please 

Yvonne639
Level 1
Denver, CO

Have you found out if there is an actual ordinance that bans short term rentals in Weehawken.  If so, what is the exact ordinance?

Margaret1084
Level 2
Weehawken, NJ

Danielle and Antoine,

Im interested as well. How can I get in touch with you?

Margaret