Weird, anti-social auto-bot messages sent to guest?

Emily156
Level 1
Malden, MA

Weird, anti-social auto-bot messages sent to guest?

I was using the AirBNB text method to communicate with my guest, and for some reason, it looks like it sent (FROM me) three messages to him quoting messages he'd sent from me and saying that I "Disliked," "Emphasized," and "Removed a like from" the content of his message. See screenshot below; the green messages mean they are from me, and sent to that AirBNB phone number that sends you reservation info and lets you communicate directly with guests.

I took no action to warrant this (no disliking, no emphasizing), did not even know that was a feature, and that's pretty embarrassing if my guest saw this, as it makes it look like I was disliking or harping on his message  - especially since I was trying to clarify something and he sent a very direct (but respectful) response. It makes it look like I was complaining about his message via AirBNB and he got cc'd, like an embarrassing reply-all faux pas, but in this case I honestly didn't do anything and wasn't disliking (or even thinking about or looking at) his message.

Did I butt-dial some AirBNB feature to cause this? Why does this happen and how can I make it not?

Most of all: Did my guest indeed receive these same automated messages as being from me, which is quite awkward especially since he's checking in later today? Frustrating and embarrassing to have to apologize and try to explain that I didn't do anything to cause this and did not "Dislike" or "Emphasize" any of his messages, since it looks like I just got busted complaining about him. Grrr weird new AirBNB features I do not understand.

weirdairbnb.jpg

3 Replies 3
Roxie3
Level 2
Golden, CO

Emily, I just got one of these too. But it looked like it was sent from my guest to me! I don't get it. All I did was send my welcome letter with nothing about the emphasized topic (bed size)...then this weird message popped up instantly...odd.

@Roxie3  Best to keep your messages within the Airbnb app as opposed to using text messaging.  The text messaging through Airbnb is notoriously buggy. 

I got the same thing and thought "What did I do to deserve a dislike???"

I thought it was some Airbnb feature I didn't know about (I'm new to the platform), but I wonder if it's the iPhone "like," "dislike" "haha" etc. that you can use to reply to a message by touching and holding on the screen. Sounds like it, now that I see others have noted "emphasis" on messages.

My messages -- to and from my host -- also get totally chopped up, arrive out of order, words/letters missing. It's a mess.

I'd been using the Airbnb site to communicate, but after reading advice from others, will download the app and see how that works.