Weird guest

Мария15
Level 8
Moscow, Russia

Weird guest

A guest made a booking for 2 people on my first day at Airbnb on July 3d. At the very beginning I followed Airbnb recommendations to a T on price and discounts suggestions. As a result the price per person per night was $8 or 7Euro. They were among first 3 guests who received a 20% discount.

The guests are the young couple but the girl is the one who made all communication, the boy was almost silent all way through, literally only Hi and Goodbye. They booked via IB two nights starting from yesterday. After I received booking I send them a message offering directions to my place. They replyed they don't need it. A couple of days before arrival she contacted me and wrote they will arrive at 4-4:30pm. I also got a message on the check-in day at 11am that they are on the way. No more messages or phone calls prior to the estimated time. At 4:30 I send her a message asking when they are planning to arrive. She replyed "in one hour". I've been waiting for them in the apartment and they checked in at 6pm.

I showed them the apartment, explain how certain things work. They were not very attentive though complimented me on the colour of the bathroom tiles. I kept the apartment tour short and left the young couple alone, mentioning that if they need smth they should not hesitate to contact me.

I've got a phone call today at 1pm and she asked me to come as soon as possible because their plans changed and they have to leave early. I dropped everything and in less than 30 min I was in the apartment. I said that I am sorry and that I hope they are leaving not because they are unhappy with their stay. The girl said - yes, they don't like the premises. Her 2 complaints were:

1. They moved the sofa (what for, I wonder?) and found a cat toy that makes noises and it scared her to death. The cat toy is a bird that chirp very similar to real bird. The girl is probably around 30 yo and she has a boyfriend by her side (to protect her from a cat toy LOL).

2. The apartment has no mosquito net and they kept the windows open at night and the insects flew in (the weather is warm), to be precise it was a harverster who came into apartment. I offered her a fumigator but she declined. She admitted however that there were no mention of mosquito net in the listing.

So they left. And I stayed completely puzzled.

Except the sofa they've moved (which is rather heavy), they took more towels from the storage when some towels in the bathroom (new and fluffy) left untouched. Of course I will wash all of them.

They didn't mention refund, nor they claimed it so far (as far as I know. I don't know how does it work. The payment had been already transfered to my accout). I am prepared for a bad review but I am puzzled. She is from the same climate zone, I can't believe she never saw harvesters.

In my bewilderment I decided to make some search on that guest and found out that she graduated with an international BSc in Hotel Management. I have an impression that she's been making some market research or mystery shopping. Am I wrong and just paranoic?

One more thing, she's been registered at Airbnb since 2018 but no reviews. I know it means nothing.

11 Replies 11
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Well...there are some thing to work on.

Furst, always check for all kind of surprises under your furniture. There should be nothing. No toys, no spider nets, even no dust. Hotels have special prescriptions for the cleaning staff about this. Its very disappointing, when a guest asks for refund, because of the wafer piece, found under the sofa.  Maintain the room like you are managing a 5-star hotel , where 1 night costs....1000$.

Second-install nets on the windows. Immediately! And bug zapper, if you have a big open area-garden, etc. near your house.

@Dimitar27 Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.  There is not dust under the furniture. The cat toys get stucked under the sofa, I could see them if I lie on the floor but can't get them even with a stick because they stuck in some parts of the sofa. Guests moved the furniture and thus rescued them.  I clean the flat like I would do it for myself. My first 4 guests all gave me 5* on cleanliness (actually 5* overall).

As you see, something very small can cause a great harm. The devil is in the details.

I remeber one-long, black piece of hair inside the minibar. 5 star hotel, 480$/night. All cleaners were required to wear hats as part of their uniform. ..

Guest was very angry. Asked for another room+refund.

@Dimitar27My guests paid $8 per person per night. They didn't find hair, they moved furniture in order to find something. They got comfortable bed with ironed cotton/linen bedding, set of fluffy towels, full kitchen, bath and shower, complimentary tea, coffe, sugar, cream, shampoo, shower gel, etc. 45 sq meters all their own. I spent two hours waiting for their arrival.

The more I think about it, the more I have a feeling that I've been tested. During check-in she didn't listen to me, but interrapted and asked me if they need to pay smth. I was surprised with this question and reminded her that they have paid already via Airbnb. I can't believe she didn't remember this. Looks like they wanted to check whether I ask for some additional payment outside the web site.

@Мария15 wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I have a feeling that I've been tested.

Its possible.

@Dimitar27 I have never seen a net in Russia. it is not customary and therefore I personally do not think @Мария15 needs to worry about it, not at $8 per night anyway

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Мария15 

I've been on Airbnb for 3 years and hosted around 600 groups. I am on this forum almost daily and I never ever heard about any testing done by Airbnb. And I really don't know who would be interested to test you or your apartment, it is very unlikely.

Your only mistake was to turn on "smart pricing". Lower price = worse guests. Do research of your competitors here on Airbnb and adjust your price accordingly. 

Net on the windows is necessary only in the area with a lot of insects and mosquitos. You know your area so it is up to you to decide. My experience is - guests don't open windows anyway, they just use the A/C all the time.

Not by ABB.

By local property management companies. It`s like..."well, you have a nice flat, but you cant operate it alone, there are so many things you don`t know, you are making so many mistakes...so let us do it for you".

Very unfair strategy, but...very common.

Thank you @Branka-and-Silvia0 You are 100% right, I have already realised my mistake,  when I followed Airbnb lead on pricing and discounts but it was my first day at Airbnb. Since that time I have already screened the prices on similar offers in my area and adjusted my price. It is still a little bit lower but I am new and have only four reviews so far.

As for nets, we have such a  short summer, I don't feel they are necessary. We had two warm days and forecast for the next week is +15C. Who will wide open the windows? No need in A/C as well, even when the weather is warm, the flat is cool, there are tall trees in the courtyard. Mosquitos also very rare, they appear once in several yearsr, and plug-in diffusor works perfectly well.

As for testing, I also think it's quite improbable. I am just trying to explain guest's behavior, she acted like a princess on the pea.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Branka, we do see lots of posts here from hosts who say they have been unfairly treated because the guest complained about....insects, mosquito's, bugs! Their reaction is, "Well that is nature, I can't do much about it if guests leave doors, windows open, and besides there isn't many bugs here anyway"!

That is not the point, we know that insects exist and at times they are going to clash with humans!

About 3 months of the year, on the odd night there will be a few mosquito's around here!

I consider the mosquito contributes nothing to the environment apart from being a food source for a few river fish, and all it does around the world is spread disease and misery. I cannot understand why authorities haven't staged a concerted campaign to wipe the species out!

But having said that, we do have to live with them!. We have bug spray and repellents but lots of guests don't like insecticides so I have a net permanently set up over the listing bed........

IMG20170826213430 b.jpg

Nobody has ever complained that it is there when it shouldn't be...... and a few have said how good it was to just pull it over themselves if they heard that annoying little drone during the night!

A mosi net costs very little and I think should be a required amenity in a 'stand alone' listing.

It's not whether it is used or not.....it's just that it's there if it might be needed.

And nobody has complained to me out mosquito's 

@Dimitar27  @Мария15 

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4I understand the mosquito nets could be a necessity in certain climate. I wish my guests to be comfortable and don't brush away their complaint. As I mentioned, I offered the guest a plug-in diffusor, it works perfectly and odorless. She declined.

Some people do install mosquito nets on the windows but I am not for it for several reasons. They will eliminate sunlight in the room. They are extra work for me because I need to take them off at the end of the season, wash, and find a place where to store them for 9 months of the year. I don't have much storage place in my small apartment. I think that plug-in diffusor is a perfect option.

The guest is still seems weird to me. When she booked she wrote that she and her boyfriend will come to Moscow for sightseeing and entertaining. I've hosted already that type of weekenders and have more similar  bookings ahead. This type of travellers try to arrive with a very early train or flight to make the most of their weekend. The guest in question arrived Saturday late afternoon, which means the whole day out of the weekend had been wasted. As if she arrived only to sleep in my property and then leave.

Could it be possible that some hotel chain or tourist assosiation or some investor is making a research of the private rent market?