Weird requests

Answered!
Neil408
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Weird requests

Hi all, this is just a fun thread but I received a really odd message a few hours ago. 

Of course, I declined the guest but I think this must rank in one of the more wackier things I’ve had to deal with. 😂😂

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I LOVE your blue bathroom @Neil408 !! 

I also hate cream/magnolia! - boring! - I've perused your listing before when you posted & think your whole place is GORGEOUS! Particularly the shade of blue in the other rooms.....

I even like your bathroom blue! - In the old photo of it being white/cream/ it looks drab & cold & boring! BLUE IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!!!! (I guess a slight problem is the  old beige tiles, SO popular 10-20 yrs ago.... - Your lovely blue would go better with white tiles, whereas beige tiles  don't lend themselves to complimenting colours... except maybe sage, or red if you're being bold!

You home share... So, YOUR HOME, your taste in colours! Guests have NO BUSINESS finding fault with your colour scheme; it's YOUR home, not a hotel! - (If I was painting an 'entire place' for guests only, I'd paint the colours I thought MOST guests would like - the ghastly ubiquitous grey these days! But, Your HOME = Your colour choice!)

View Best Answer in original post

94 Replies 94

@Huma0  I had an upholstery client who was something like that, but at least she was aware of it. She told me she knew what she liked when she saw it, but had zero idea how to achieve such a look. So she just gave me an idea of what colors she liked and not only gave me free rein on the upholstery, but also asked me to choose the tiles and paint colors for her place.

Like you and Ann, I pretty much always know exactly what I want design and color-wise, so it was kind of an eye-opener for me that not everyone has those skills or confidence.

And I also had to to argue with or ignore the advice of my male tradespeople 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

You might have seen on another thread that I have an enormous fridge/freezer/wine fridge combo in my kitchen. It might seem a bit excessive, but I normally have a house full of long-term guests so believe me, it does get filled up. Plus I have a large kitchen that easily accommodates it.

I'd been looking at a two door version like my previous fridge, when I saw the three door one at a really good price. l'll never forget though talking to the sales guy before I bought it. He  told me to discuss it with my husband over the weekend.

Can you imagine? I didn't correct him on the assumption that I had a husband (let alone one who only had time to discuss household matters at the weekend) and was not capable of making my own decisions. I simply bought the thing and I've not regretted it.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I really enjoy renovating and designing our spaces.  My husband and I tore down our first house to the bare studs, and renovated every room in the 1922 built bungalow.  We did all of the work ourselves except the electrical upgrade and removal of a popcorn ceiling that had asbestos.  I designed the guesthouse that we had built, and we have made some significant renovations at our present house.  I use a home design application to create the floor plans and placement of furnishings and fixtures.  I may go through several iterations before I have a final design. 

Many times when we've had tradesman on site, and they see our tools, they'll make comments about how handy my husband may be.  He is handy, but I often told them that XX tool is actually mine.  Which usually received a look of great surprise, and respect.

@Sarah977 @Huma0 @Ann72 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Do add some before/after pics here if you have them: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Before-and-after-pics/m-p/486728#M110692

Sorry @Neil408 , us ladies seem to have hijacked your thread and it's become less and less about weird guests and more about home décor.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Neil408,

I think the blue in the bathroom may look a little stark to some people, because the tile is pretty muted.  If the tile were white, that blue would be the pop of color needed to break up a sterile looking white room.  Don't change the color.  I doubt that the guest would have said asked a similar to one of his friends if he wanted to stay at their place for a couple of weeks even if he offered to pay them.

It's good to see that you've decided to continue hosting.  

@Huma0,

I don't have digital before and after pictures of the first house. I did post on another thread some before and after pics for the Atlanta apartment, and will add them to your thread. Our shipment of goods have arrived on island so we should start renovations on the guest rooms next week.  I will post the before, during and after pictures.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

'What a good idea, ill do that.' said no lesbian ever.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh, and the same builder, who is actually very good, kept insisting the basin I had bought for that bathroom was much too large and that I needed to buy one less than half the size. I told him I had done the measurements and it was fine. Once fitted, he had to concede that it easily fit and was actually perfect for the space.

There have been other builders that have tried to talk me out of this that or other choice and I always stick to my guns. I don't know why they think I have no idea of what I'm doing. I guess they assume that someone else designed the rest of the house and I'm getting involved for the first time or some such nonsense?

@Huma0  You're female- you couldn't possibly have any smarts or skills when it comes to construction matters- and lord knows, you certainly can't accurately read a tape measure or do basic math 🤣

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Ill be in that. I don't have a white bathroom either. But I don't mind it.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Neil408 
My children are fans of Star Wars and Yoda, I'm a fan of the blue-blue scale, especially beautiful blue and taupe, so may the force be with you! 😎
Repainting the house for each guest is what you would like? )

Neil408
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Haha it’s fine 😄 always interesting to see how colours really divide opinion and of course the interesting comments people make and the conversations leading from that.

You might be not be able to see it too well, but the artwork says ‘Do or do not, there is no try’ of course, perfectly situated above the toilet 😂😁

@Neil408   ‘Do or do not, there is no try’. Love that. I've said as much to guests who've posted here upset because they got a bad cleanliness rating. They said they "tried" to clean up. I said you either clean up or you don't, there's no such thing as "trying to clean up".

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anna9170 

I say yes, absolutely repaint (in a colour of your own choice) if the guest is willing to pay for both the materials AND the professional labour. I'd be more than happy to let guests pay for my walls to be repainted from time to time. Unfortunately, they have never offered!

My house used to be registered as a photoshoot/film location and clients can request to repaint or even wallpaper walls, but it is their responsibility to then redecorate them in your original décor after the shoot. I'd be happy with that but, again, it nevery happened sadly 😞

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Neil408  Haha, we can also say that this is Hamlet's theme  "to be or not to be" (с) ,  when positioned above the toilet 😂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I would probably paint the ceiling white and one or more walls in graphite or anthracite black.

This is a bathroom  in one of my apartments for rent, unfortunately, you can only see a small part of the walls but the left one is black, others are white

bbb.jpg