Welcome #Mendocino Hosts

Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

Welcome #Mendocino Hosts

Hello! Any other #Mendocino Hosts in the Community yet?

This post is a welcome to all hosts from Mendocino, #California, USA. I am the moderator of the Mendocino Group in the original Airbnb group forums. We are a small county in Northern California on the coast in the redwoods and wine country.

As of now there is not a way to create a similar local group in this new Community Forum. Hopefully that will change. There seems to be a lot of feedback from hosts requesting local groups be represented here. 

For now let's use the hashtag #Mendocino in our posts regarding local issues and see how it goes. We can use the search feature to find each other's posts using the same hashtag and hope to stay in touch that way.

Also, please follow this link to our Mendocino Group in the original Airbnb Group Forums. It will be available to view until February 25, 2016. https://www.airbnb.com/groups/3296

To start let's each post a simple hello on this thread so we can start a list of hosts from Mendocino County. Specific questions and topics can be discussed by starting a new "conversation"/post and threads. Remember to include #Mendocino if it's a topic specific to our area.

10 Replies 10
Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

@Marjo0 Would you please move this post to Cities > Worldwide? I thought I posted it there but it is not showing up...Thanks! Also, wondering if there is any word about whether or not local groups will continue to be supported in the new community? Hope so! They are such a wonderful part of the existing groups.

Hi, we aren't air b&b hosts yet, but we are moving to Fort Bragg soon and will want to rent out a cottage that is on the property. Is it legal to Air b&b in Fort Bragg? Does it require a business license? Also, any insight on how much business you could expect year round? Thanks for any advice.

Hello! I am wondering if you got any useful feedback about your post? I don’t see any replies and I have similar questions. Thanks! 

Scarlett0
Level 1
Berkeley, CA

Hello, 

I am a #Mendocino host looking for information in the light of the new county ordinance. I only list a bedroom on Airbnb, in the home that I live in full time. It has been a great arrangement but the county denied me a business license when I applied a month or so ago. I have stopped my listing for now but my understanding is that renting out a room from inside your own home was exempt from the current ban on vacation rentals. Any advise from other locals? I'd really like to continue to host guests as it has been a wholly positive endeavor so far. 

Cheers, 

Scarlett

Hello! 

#Mendociono host here as well! I was just reading that the ban did not go through. Have you heard or know more now? 

Scott659
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

I am considering buying a home in unincorporated Mendocino County (inland zone, not on the coast) and would like to post it on AirBnB.  My understanding is that we would have to apply for a business license and a use permit, in part because the property is on a private road, like many properties in the County.  The business license is not a big deal but the use permit looks to be a big project.  I got a quote of $6,900 in fees from Mendocino Building and Planning Services and an estimate that the process would take 4-12 months.  The process looks to be the same as if I were going to raze the house and build a 10 story Westin Hotel, which seems like massive overkill.  I wonder if other AirBnB hosts have followed this process and if there are any shortcuts.  I do see online some stories about people who have gotten caught by the County for not having the appropriate permits.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Penelope67
Level 2
California, US

i read that to its disgusting the county out of control with its permits...i dont think its legal what they are doing ... did you find anything out

Penelope67
Level 2
California, US

just spent 5 years remodeling my place that was a hotel since 1938 to be able to host in our granny apartment , now I find Mendocino County wants to charge thousands so we can host more than well make in two years....as we only wanted to host on weekends in the summer. The county is out of control and making it impossible I lived at this house AKA old hotel for over 26 years... we may have to sell the house as this was my retirement plan.. we don't want to rent year round because we have elderly family we have to house on and off.... so depressing 

Penelope67
Level 2
California, US

any tips our info would be helpful, their are almost no Air BnB in inland Mendocino and I listed a few times but with it all blocked so you could not book and I got a lot of enquirers.... but thanks to Mendocino Countys greed and control issues....I afraid to even try and get it going its all ready...

has anyone managed to get their place thru the county planning and building just to rent a room out or a granny flat in their house..... we also have a tiny house we like to rent ... it would bring in a bit extra money to the county and not effect county housing stock as we not willing to ever rent long term....I rather sell my house and move away.... I did rent long term once and it was a nightmare.

so help anyone have any tip how to get thru this...

@Penelope67 

Hi - I was looking at some property in Mendocino with the hopes of renting or Airbnb parts of it.  Seems quite expensive to get an opinion from the county and they seem to be against the format.  Did you learn any more on your project?  Thanks and good luck -Michael