West Virginia taxes

Jared2
Level 2
Morgantown, WV

West Virginia taxes

I have been hosting for a little over a year now and am looking for some insight on how to go about finding what I should be paying in terms of taxes for the Morgantown, West Virginia area. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on where I could find this information? Any help is greatly appreciated!

8 Replies 8
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Jared2 I assume you are talking about Occupancy Taxes, yes?  If so, I would start with your local taxing agency.  Where I live, the department that collects property taxes is the same place I send the occupancy taxes to.  You might have to start with City Hall and be transferred around, but I'm sure you'll find someone with the answer.  Also call one of your elected officials?  Another idea would be to talk to someone in the hotel industry in your area.  I'm sure they know! Good Luck!

Vicki15
Level 1
Wardensville, WV

You can sign on with the company My Lodge Tax who, for a fee, will process your occupancy tax for you once a month! It's a time saver. They do all the footwork for you. They will send you a reminder email once a month to report how many nights you rented out. Good luck.

Yocencia0
Level 6
Shepherdstown, WV

In WV you have to pay sales/ use tax as well as the hotel occupancy tax.   In Jefferson county you pay the occupancy tax to the sherif. 

Hi There!  I was searching the community for help with WV taxes and see that you posted some replies.  Was hoping you could help me..I'm a new host in Pocahontas county..  I understand my local/county taxes--talked to that office and have the forms for that(6% paid monthly).   However, I wanted to be sure that I enroll with the state properly.  I understand that Airbnb will remit the state tax for me(6%), but do I need to also register as a business 1st with the state?  Before I list?    Hope you don't mind me contacting you!  🙂   Chris 

We have an Airbnb property in Barbour Co.  Just for clarification:  Airbnb collects Occupancy Tax and pays to who?  And how often?   How do I know that we are getting credit for this payment, where can I check for verification. 

In addition to this occupancy tax that is charged by Airbnb; am I supposed to be collecting an additional 6% of WV State Sales & Use tax?  If so how do I add this to the listing?  Please advise.

Geri18
Level 2
Petersburg, WV

I'm in Grant County in WV and I pay 6% to the county and 6% to the state.  

Chris11321
Level 2
Warrenton, NC

Hi.  I just started a new listing in Snowshoe.   I understand the local/county tax of 6% and have contacted Pocahontas County for instructions on that.    My question though, for the state do I have to register as new business?, even though Airbnb will remit the state tax on my behalf?  Just want to have all my ducks in a row..THX.  

Hi Chris, did you ever figure this out?  Just started my Airbnb in Slatyfork and not sure what government agencies I need to be alerting