What Happened to Pricing in Searches?

JB6
Level 4
Johnson City, TX

What Happened to Pricing in Searches?

For the past year, we've averaged 5-7 bookings a month for our cabin.  In March, the bottom dropped out, and we had only 1 booking.  April was not much better.  Because of complaints from guests about Smart Pricing, we narrowed our range to 110-125 in February.  Where our cabin used to show up at the lower price (110), sometimes 115, now it shows up at 136, a price we've never charged.  When you search by price (for example, everything in our area under 130) I used to see a lot more places than I see now.  Even properties that are fixed around 120 show up in the 130-150 range.  When you click on the property, assuming you go that far, the price drops to what it should be.  Why the change in how prices are displayed?  Is it to reflect the fees added by AirBnB?  How can we manage the price on our property when changing it (say for a weekend to 110) isn't reflected in the search?  I'm receiving a lot more emails from AirBnB that people have booked places for less; this is not helpful when the booking elsewhere was over the same weekend our property was already booked.  Normally, we are booked about 2 months out; that is no longer the case.

2 Replies 2

@JB6 some people have noticed that the price displayed in searches now includes the Airbnb fees.

However, it should not disadvantage you, because added fees should be true for all the listings.

If you were $5 cheaper than your neighbor before fees were added in, adding fees to both your listings should mean you will still be roughtly $5 cheaper than your neighbor.

Airbnb is testing this to see if the guests prefer seeing the final price (instead of being surprised by a higher price when everything is added up).

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Maybe turn 'Smart Pricing' off till experimentation is over? Specially in such a price-concious competitive environment.