What Happens When Airbnb Treats Their Hosts Badly aka The Story of Not Made Possible by Hosts

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

What Happens When Airbnb Treats Their Hosts Badly aka The Story of Not Made Possible by Hosts

Hey, listen up @Airbnb , for I have a story to tell.  While it's not a beautiful "Made Possible by Hosts" video story, accompanied by soulful music with a happy ending, it is, nevertheless, a story you need to hear. 

Once upon a time in the magical month of December of the year 2020, I had a guest who booked my guest suite at the last minute,--so much so that she begged to be allowed to check-in within hours of booking.  However, due to the fact that I had guests who had just departed hours before and COVID cleaning protocols, I had to insist that she check-in the next day.  Within an hour or so of this conversation, my guest messaged me to say that she was so very unhappy to see that my guest suite did not have a full kitchen.  While I was puzzled as to how she was under the impression that it did, (my description and photos clearly depict a kitchenette only), I told her I certainly did not want her to be unhappy.  Due to the last minute booking and my cancellation policy, she was not entitled to a refund, however, out of the goodness of my heart, I told her I would refund her. 

As I had never had a back-to-back booking and cancellation, I was unfamiliar as to how the refund process worked, so I, with no small amount of trepidation, picked up the telephone and called, what I had come to know as the "Airbnb Customer Routing System."  I was told the amount of the refund would be debited from the bank account associated with my Airbnb account even though I had not yet been paid for the stay.  This made me slightly nervous as during the summer, I had had many battles over delayed payments, and in one case, a payout that completely disappeared. 

After a day or so went by, I noticed that no debit had been made to my bank account, so I called the infamous ABnB Customer Routing System again.  This time I was told the amount of the refund would be deducted from subsequent payouts until the refund amount had been satisfied, and then I would begin receiving payouts again.  Okay,--that made logical sense, however, I continued to feel uneasy. 

The month of December flew by in a happy/busy rush.  On the 22nd of December, I called to make sure that my payout which was scheduled to be released on the 23rd, would indeed, be released and there would not be any "hiccups" or problems.  I was assured that all was well.  (Cue "anticipatory" music here.....)

December 23rd dawned, I had return guests who were staying with me for their 3rd time, my daughter was coming down from Austin to stay with me over Christmas Eve and life was good.  At some point on the 23rd of December, I checked my email, and sure enough, I had received an email with a payout ID.  Great. 

Email dated December 23rd, 2020 WITH a payout ID that never happened.Email dated December 23rd, 2020 WITH a payout ID that never happened.

But then.....I noticed nothing had changed in my app.  The payout was still listed under "upcoming" and not completed.  My heart sank.  I knew it hadn't been released.  I knew if Airbnb didn't release it until the 24th, (Christmas Eve), they wouldn't actually be paying out the money until the 28th due to the holidays and weekend.  Of course, I called the now very infamous Airbnb Customer Routing System on the 24th.  I was livid.  I was told that they had no control over when my bank would show the deposit.  I had to argue and argue and argue that this was NOT the point,--the point was they had promised a payout on the 23rd, yet they had NOT released the payout on the 23rd as promised (verbally), and as confirmed in the email.  I finally was able to get someone who confirmed that my payout was not released until the 24th of December,--just as I had suspected.  They finally sent a (very blurry!) screenshot to me:

The very blurry screenshot someone at Airbnb provided me proving that my payout was never released until the 24th of December 2020.The very blurry screenshot someone at Airbnb provided me proving that my payout was never released until the 24th of December 2020.

Although at this point I had asked that only a supervisor contact me, I was tormented Christmas Day by one "Support Ambassador" after another until I asked them why they continued to harass me as I had only requested a supervisor. 

I was so very angry.  I asked that the refund amount that I had given back to my guest, be refunded back to me to cover fees I incurred in the account connected to Airbnb due to their withholding the payout.  Airbnb kept blaming my bank.  I kept explaining, (and of course, Airbnb knows this!), that my bank cannot claim funds that were never released.  And, the funds were NOT released on the 23rd as stated. 

Although I fought the good fight, I was informed by Marvin, a Supervisor, (or so I was told),  on March 23rd, 2021 that nothing could be done and I was mistaken.  My screen shots that I provided were continually "lost" and I was the liar.  I told Marvin, I expected nothing more (or less), from Airbnb, as I bitterly watched the "Made Possible by Hosts" commercials playing in the background.

I promised myself that no matter what, I would NEVER refund anyone again.  Airbnb can if they wish to do so, but I will not.  What I HAVE done, is offer my guests who have had unfortunate circumstances the opportunity to book a different time/date.  That way no money has to be refunded.

Today,  I was contacted by a guest who had to cancel her reservation.  She had taken advantage of my non-refundable rate, which means if they cancel for any reason, they cannot get a refund.  As much as I would like to refund her the full amount, I will not.    Estuardo, from @Airbnb, I don't know if you are a Support Ambassador, or a Supervisor, but I see that you have made it clear that if I so much as hit "reply" to the emails (I see you have sent 3 within the span of 3 hours! Wow! If only you responded as quickly and prolifically when we needed help!!), you have sent me today, I will be agreeing to refund my guest in full.  I'm not responding to your messages for a reason.  You don't have my permission to refund my guest anything.

I AM encouraged to believe what my mom always used to say, the truth always comes out in the wash,--even if it's a mighty dirty wash.

When will you learn @Airbnb that we, as hosts, are the face and backbone of your company?  Without us, you are nothing.  Yeah, a few commercials seeking to portray that to the world are meaningless when you treat (most of) us like you do behind the scenes. 

P.S.  @Airbnb FYI, just a little bit of goodwill shown and NOT taking 3 months to tell me you weren't going to do anything, (not making me feel like a liar and constantly "losing" my screenshots), might have resulted in a HAPPY host, one who would have, in a heartbeat, agreed to refund my guest in full today. 

Julieanna
13 Replies 13
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Julieanna0 

So in the end this long story learned us a payout was released on the 24th instead of the 23th....

What a great disaster !

@Emiel1  Yeah, I know it doesn't sound bad, right?  Sad part is because they didn't payout until the 24th, (Christmas Eve which is a holiday), it wasn't actually available or paid out until the 28th.  My bank "claimed" it the next day, the 29th.  Had they actually paid out when the said they would have, my bank would have claimed it on the 24th.  Sometimes 5 days makes a difference to some of us hosts.  I'm one of those hosts.  Also, I suppose this was the "icing on the cake" as this was not my first incident last year.  Numerous delayed payments, and one that completely vanished.  And, do keep in mind, ALL of this started because I went the extra mile and refunded a guest who was entitled to ZERO refund.  As they say, no good deed goes unpunished, or apparently, uncriticized. 

Julieanna
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Julieanna0 

I’m truly sorry for your experience, it’s was all Airbnb fault.

You stated, 

“ When will you learn @Airbnb that we, as hosts, are the face and backbone of your company?  Without us, you are nothing.  Yeah, a few commercials seeking to portray that to the world are meaningless when you treat (most of) us like you do behind the scenes.” 

Wow, you ‘re absolutely right.Most host aren’t smart to realize that.

Nevertheless, you’re not going to like this.

Well, I think, this phrase “Airbnb are nothing without the host”  or “ Airbnb are everything of the hosts

Nobody can be
“nothing” without anyone whether its your partner or a friend ? 

So, for instance, in case, you have Airbnb to support you/ I and you/I can do anything . So, what will happen if at some point you/ I leave the platform ?

Earlier, you /I were dependent on Airbnb, but now?

Earlier, Airbnb was everything to you/ I and you/l considered you/ I were nothing without Airbnb, but what now?

If by nothing you mean nothing, then nothing else matters except everything. Because everything is matter, and nothing is never nowhere. If you are telling Airbnb that I am nothing to you, it means nothing to you and nothing to me, because host mean everything to Airbnb. Everything is just how we percieve it, but nothing is how we always think Airbnb thinks we are. Even if we are nothing or everything, nothing matters. Only matter matters.

The host and the guest are all equally to Airbnb. 

I hope you and others host can figure it out.

Airbnb

Make Possible By Host 

@Dale711   Thank you for your perspective.  Not sure why I decided to post this today.  I think it was due to receiving emails from Airbnb at 2:35PM, 3:08PM and 3:38PM, urging me to refund my guest who had cancelled, even though they booked under a no cancellation discount.  I only wish they were this responsive when I actually need a problem resolved, instead of taking three months.

Maybe I should have just sucked it up today and refunded all of their money, just like I did back in December.  But,--for some reason, I'm tired of being a doormat. Instead of Airbnb admitting any fault in anything, (referring to the above incident from December), I was called a liar,--my payouts have been delayed or, in one instance, just flat out gone.  In the above instance, all I set out to do was refund my guest, which I did not have to do.  Perhaps you may understand why I'm just a little angry at being "pushed" to fully refund a guest today.  And, in truth, if Airbnb had shown ANY empathy, had been honest and took ANY ownership of what happened in December, I would feel differently.  Instead, they denied, denied, denied and then today they expect me to jump and refund my guest within minutes of cancellation?  I don't think so. 

Airbnb's customer service department and Support Ambassadors need lessons in how to empathize with guests and hosts,--not lessons in narcissism.  They are alienating guests as well as hosts. 

I think I see a little bit of your point, however, am not as intelligent as you and Dan are.  Of course, I do count on Airbnb's "name" and platform,--so yes, I need them as well.  However, Airbnb is just a "platform."  They are neither the guest nor the host.  If there was any competition that would come along and do what they did, yet treat their hosts and guests with kindness, empathy and respect, WOW, what a business they could have!  I have been encouraged to see that there are new companies popping up to help the individual break away from platforms like @Airbnb such as https://www.safely.com.

Again, thank you Dale and Dan for taking the time to share your thoughts. 

P.S.  I just had to edit my comment and thank you for the best laugh I have had all day!  J'adore your "Check For Cat Arm B4 Closing" photo!  😂

Julieanna

The guest gambled by doing the no-refund to get the discount. It is their bad much as prepaying for a rental car to get a lower rate would be the renter's bad.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Julieanna0 

I am totally agree with you. Side by side! 

“ in truth, if Airbnb had shown ANY empathy, had been honest and took ANY ownership of what happened in December, I would feel differently”

“Airbnb's customer service department and Support Ambassadors need lessons in how to empathize with guests and hosts,--not lessons in narcissism.  They are alienating guests as well as hosts.”

“However, Airbnb is just a "platform."  They are neither the guest nor the host.  If there was any competition that would come along and do what they did, yet treat their hosts and guests with kindness, empathy and respect....

I truly understand how you feels and how frustrated you are. Your intentions of the original thread is to expressed your disappointment. Indeed, Airbnb late reactions and feedback to you after 3 months. Honestly, is a bit late. Yet, being late better never. 

Airbnb, you need to do better, treat much better to the hosts.

That the reason, we’re have the CC and hopefully all the hosts can join and participate in here.

Airbnb is necessary to do a step ahead to the Superhost, remarkably to the @Julieanna0. Cause, you’re not only the Superhost for Airbnb guests, you’re also the Support Superhost and the Loyalist Superhost of Airbnb.
 Therefore, your values can not be determined.

In fact, back to 2012, I used to thought as you are and love hosting.I’m  in and off from the platform, I has remaining multiple listings in other platforms and retain the dormitory room listing in the Airbnb. I’m still learning in the services and the the hospitality field. It’s really help me be more inclusive and interactive person.

Refer to the cat Arm photos, it is the reminder to  my guest to be aware to  keep their foods in the refrigerator. Times to times, guest lost their foods in the refrigerator, I believe once’s in a while, other guest or the new guest are hungry and being laziness to go out to buy foods or either no passion to wait for the delivered  foods services, they usually grab anything in the refrigerator without asking other person.Some guest are kind and generous, but some are not willing to share and feel irritated.

Well, It’s was my great pleasure to know you and Hat off ! 🌹
Ways to go! 

Happy Hosting 

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I detest @AirbnbI detest @Airbnb

2 Days Later and No Response2 Days Later and No Response

Julieanna
Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Update as of Monday, April 5, 2021.  (You can't make this stuff up!) 😂

After days of badgering to refund my guest, now they can't?After days of badgering to refund my guest, now they can't?

Julieanna
Skye15
Level 2
United States

AIRBNB played me when all my guest cancelled right when Covid hit - 1st they sent a message that we would lose our Super Host status if we gave cancellations. Then 2 weeks later sent out an email saying that if we didn't honor cancellations we would be penalized. Then September 2020 that started holding back pay outs pretending they had already been deposited but it was a lie.  I know this trick from working for commercial real estate developers.  They hold the money longer, delay payments to use the money for something else and stall. i.e. they float your money like a bank to invest elsewhere while you are left hanging.  Heads up that for the last couple years they are buying hotels & office buildings to convert to STR's. i.e. directly to compete with homeowners.   But that's okay because like me, people want to have a different experience that walking through lobbies, taking elevators and I want to have an immersive experience in a neighborhood or city....some private homeowner TLC.  

@Skye15 @Airbnb is playing everybody right now because they’re desperate.  All COVID did was hasten the exposure of Airbnb’s underhanded tactics.  It appears there are finally some class action lawsuits:

Airbnb hit with proposed class-action lawsuit from host missing payments

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/airbnb-hit-with-proposed-class-action-lawsuit-from-host-missing-paym...

https://skift.com/2020/11/05/airbnb-accused-in-lawsuit-of-ripping-off-hosts-and-guests-with-covid-re...

Julieanna

Wow. Hadn't read any "community" posts, but am glad I have! We had 3 guys stay in our little 1840's cabin over a week ago, and they left a big mess, all their meal plates were just stacked with coagulated food, eggs and grease flung about the new stove, etc.  House rules are "leave it like you found it". We are in our 60's, do all our laundry, sanitizing, etc ourselves, and this was just disgusting and hurtful, as well as adding to the time if took to reset for new guests arriving that day. In addition, the offenders had been allowed early check-in, and were late checking out, putting us further behind. I reached out to the guests, requesting $25 for extra cleaning. Airbnb has a 72 hour response window, and of course, the request was ignored. I escalated the issue to the "resolution center", where it was ignored for two more days, now am getting all the phrases you fine hosts have mentioned about Airbnb not taking sides, what proof do I have, and each message is followed with "I won't be in the office tomorrow until midnight, but be assured your concern is important". Today's message was that he may be able to get me $20, as they can't charge a guest without their permission". WTF? My big concern now is what if someone absolutely trashes the place?  Really uneasy about Airbnb's protection of their hosts. I did rate that we would NOT rent to him again, but if he doesn't rate me, will it be posted, so you hosts know not to rent to him?

@Libby-And-Kerry0 

There is a reason reps will say to you...."I am going to be out of the office for the next 24 hours, rest assured I want to help resolve your problem and I will get back to you as soon as I return"!

When a rep takes on a case and opens a ticket they are required to respond to it within a certain amount of time....5 minutes, 10 minutes, or else they are penalised. The reason for this is to let the customer know something is happening, someone is on the case. They don't have to give a positive answer.....they just need to respond. So what they will say in the initial communicae  if the question is a curly one is "Thank you, your call to us is important and I will discuss your problem with my supervisor and get back to you when we have a solution" That satisfies the response algorithm and gives the rep a bit of time to play around. A solution does not fall readily to hand so you will get a support message that says..."I am going to be out of the office for the next 24 hours, rest assured I want to help resolve your problem and I will get back to you as soon as I return"!  The office these guys talk about is their home! They are individual contractors who work for Arise Virtual Solutions or Zendesk and can be based anywhere in the world, using a central framework.

As far as your review of the guest is concerned, if you have written a review in the required timeframe and the review does not contravene Airbnb's content guidelines, the review will be published on the guests profile after 14 days regardless of whether the guest has reviewed you or not!

Cheers........Rob 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Libby-And-Kerry0  When you star rate a guest and check that you wouldn't host them again, the only hosts who see that information are hosts who use Instant Book. Those of us who require guests to send booking requests can only see the written reviews, so always make sure that the written review also makes the guest's behavior clear.  No need to go into detail about the dirty dishes, etc, "Extensive cleaning was required " is understandable to all.

Not all guests are going to leave the place as clean as you would like. And some leave it really clean and tidy. It usually balances out. It feels like you've been disrespected when they leave a mess, but if they haven't actually damaged anything, it's best to just accept that it's part and parcel of hosting and try not to let it upset you- some people are clean, some live like pigs.

The wording "Leave it as you found it" is used by many hosts, but I don't like it, myself. For one thing, "like you found it" would be a big thorough clean, vacuuming, sterilizing the bathroom, all the things hosts or their cleaners do when preparing for a new guest.  And it's too open to interpretation. Guests' idea of clean probably isn't your idea of clean a lot of the time.

I think it's better to leave a short check-out list of the specific things you want done- dishes washed, stovetop and counters wiped down, all garbage in the designated spot, etc.