What IS it that is bleaching my towels and sheets?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

What IS it that is bleaching my towels and sheets?

Another bleached hand towel. And a bleached pillow case. What are guests putting on themselves that is causing this? And how do they keep their own linens from getting ruined?

Is it acne cream? Or could it be something else? I just seem to have had too many issues with this in a very short time. I've only hosted 40 or so stays and already three of them have resulted in bleached hand towels, sheets, and pillow case.

Suggestions?

8 Replies 8
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Proactive. The bain of hosts worldwide. I haven't had a guest that uses this yet. I seem to get fake bronzer which I can, with lots of effort, remove from towels.

I suspect that their own linens are also getting ruined, but the level of stainless-ness [is that a word?] for personal items being used by the owner is different than the standards that we have to have as hosts.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Susan151

Ahh, that makes sense. I wonder if there's a tactful way to address this? Offer a special pillow case and hand towel for any guest using Proactive or another cream?

*sigh* Probably not.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Suzanne302same thing here... colored towels get stained in just few months. We are back to white towels and linens . I also wonder what is it

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Any acne cream can bleach colors. Why I use white. 

Jillian63
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

I use white sheets and coloured towels and so far all is well with both sheets, pilow slips and towels.  but then I have only been an Airbnb host since the middle of September, so I will be looking out for any such bleaching.  

I have a question or two.  At this time I have a gentleman staying for a month who has come to the area because he and his 19 yr old son are moving here.  I specifically told him that my home is 34 minutes away from where he wishes to live but he said that is not a problem and he has of course paid up for the full month.  Now after only one week he has found a very convenient place to rent and has ben accepted but has to move in on 22nd November even though he has paid up for my Airbnb until the 6th December.  Now he has indicated that he will be leaving 1 week or more before that time he has paid with me.  Should I now re-imburse him for the time he won't be staying at my Airbnb and if so how should I go about this re-imbursement?

@Suzanne302 wrote:

Another bleached hand towel. And a bleached pillow case. What are guests putting on themselves that is causing this? And how do they keep their own linens from getting ruined?

Is it acne cream? Or could it be something else? I just seem to have had too many issues with this in a very short time. I've only hosted 40 or so stays and already three of them have resulted in bleached hand towels, sheets, and pillow case.

Suggestions?

@Jillian63

long term stays are not refundable regardless how long your guest will stay. You will not be able to rebook remain days as they are blocked on your calendar.

He probalby got a monthly discount for the lenght of stay too.

@Jillian63

The guest can cancel if they want to but long-term bookings follow the long-term cancellation policy which is no refund for the next 30 days or if the remaining duration is less than 30 days, then no refund at all. 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1361/how-do-changes-and-cancellations-work-for-long-term-reserva...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/448/what-does-it-mean-to-enforce-or-waive-my-cancellation-policy

Whatever the GUEST decides to do, as a host, DO NOT CANCEL. 

Do not accept or agree to a message you might get that says "The guest requests that YOU cancel" - agreeing/accepting this will also make it a "host" cancellation. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/BEWARE-of-quot-Guest-requests-that-you-cancel-quot/m-p/4...

In order to open up your calendar, the guest will have to cancel and accept the fact that there will be no refund. IF the guest cancels, then you calender will open up for the remaining days so you will be able to accept new guests for the remaining dates.

(If it's what you want) you could approach the guest and say you will provide a partial refund based on no. of nights that are re-booked by new guests. This could encourage the guest to cancel without a refund for now, but you should also make it very clear about the amount you'd be willing to refund so for instance, say that for every night that is rebooked, you will refund X amount. Just a thought~

Good luck~!

I would offer a partial refund if HE cancels. I have given refunds when a guests sister died and when our water heater died. These are unavoidable situations, but just because he wants a place more convenient, we’ll let him go for it but also let him know convenience costs. That is why first class plane tickets cost double.