What amenity do you provide that guests rave about?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What amenity do you provide that guests rave about?

Room

Hello everyone,

It is crazy how quickly a month can fly by! The August Host Newsletter went out last week and this was the first newsletter to include comments directly from your Newsletter posts here in the CC, which is fantastic to see. If you missed it, or if you want to rejoin the thread, the discussion continues so do take a look: 'How you use your hosting income'. 🙂

We are now looking forward to the October Host Newsletter and this month's subject is: What amenity/equipment do you provide that guests rave about? 

Feel free to share photos and more comments, and we will feature some of them in the newsletter! 

I can't wait to hear more. 🙂

Lizzie

Not currently receiving the Host Newsletter? Click here to sign up.  

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

66 Replies 66

Ok scratch that I did recieve but it never said host newsletter anywhere in the newsletter. I overlooked it but just found it. The subject is "Improve search ranking and learn how hosts use their extra income"

And looks like my quote was used (though I'm not in NYC). I guess there goes by 30seconds of fame.
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Bill50
Level 2
Wax, KY

The heated bathroom floor is the most commented on.

I also have a Tempurpedic adjustable bed - most people love it, but I had a recent guest say they didn't like it at all. They seem to be a love it or hate it item.

Most - maybe all - of my guests have commented on the Continental breakfast.

Several have mentioned being pleased to have use of the bike.

Other amenities (e.g. iron, raincape, umbrella, exclusive use of the bathroom, etc.) have also been mentioned.

I rent my entire condo and I live 4 hours away (resort area so I use my home in the off season) so I've had to be creative in making my condo special.

Before their stay I send guests a list of grocery stores close by and restaurants and activities that I recommend. I also send them information about other local activities they may wish to try.
I stock the bathroom with a basic first aid kit PLUS items like aspirin Benadryl sun screen (30+Spf) and personal bug repellent (lots of mosquitos here). You don't directly see this mentioned in my reviews but people use them and I consistently get 5 stars
Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

I put a folded card on the bed welcoming each guest by name. I also provide bottled chilled water, chocolates and locally made chips and depending on the season, fruit or brownies. I also have a basket of small size toiletries and disposable rain ponchos (it's Vancouver folks!). The room also comes with a binder of places to visit, brochures, maps etc.,local restaurants menus.

The guests really enjoy the full cooked breakfast and it's a great chance to converse with them. I give them a menu the night before and they mark off what they would like.IMGP3482.JPG

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey guys,

These are all fantastic and creative ideas here, I am really enjoying hearing them. It's also a great way to pick up little ideas!

Thanks so much.

Keep them coming! 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lisa187
Level 3
Portland, OR

I am in Portland, OR, so I want guests to have that Portland vibe in all aspects of the guest experience.  That is what airbnb is all about!  Not only did I decorate my place mid-century modern, but I provide local craft brews, flowers from my garden, lots of books on the city, local organic snack bars and the Oregonian newspaper arrives each day.  I buy local magazines as well.  Good Portland coffee is crucial and half and half as well. 

I also like to provide good quality shampoos, body wash and conditioners - I don't do travel size, because of the cost, but I keep the bottles clean and full. 

I invested in very good hotel quality towels and linens - WHITE - for sure!  Many of my reviews mention the amenities specifically, and the decor as well.

Hosting only a month, but I love it!

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

The site to sign up doesnt allow me to include my name and other info-- its grayed out

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

IMG_0172.JPGIMG_0172.JPGMy guests always mention that I bake as part of the light breakfast itmes I provide. They also mention constantly that they love the sheets and towels I provide. They are 100% linen- so not are they amazingly comfy year round, but it also accomplishes a few other objectives:

100% linen is anti-microbial, so it doesnt hold body smells-- they wash completely everytime with very little laundry soap, and air/line dry to an ironed look. Its cool and crisp for our sub-tropical envirment  in the summer and its cozy warm in the winter.  The towels dry very quickly when hung up, unlike cotton terry towels.

Linen doesnt wear out like cotton or bamboo, and doesn't look tired or dirty after hundreds of washings-- it always looks brand new even years later.

This decision required an investment, but it hasnt failed me and the guests always ask me where I got everything-- my suppliers let me know they get constant inquiries, so I know they (the guests) are impressed enough to follow up when they go home.

Lizzy will have to get approval to let me send along the websites if you are interested, as I'm certain Airbnb will redact if I post them here.

Nanc

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6535475

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10354798

Hi Nancy

Your linens sound wonderful! Would be nice if you could let us know where you get them. For years with my family I ironed cotton sheets but found it too much after starting Airbnb 3 years ago since my guests stay a max of 3 days (usually 1-2 days).  I discovered microfibre sheets that feel like the finest percale that go through the washer and dryer in an hour and back on the bed. Strangely, guests comment on how nice the sheets are and like you, ask where they are from!! I feel embarassed to admit that they aren't cotton but I hadn't considered linen.

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary! If it works it works!
As we live in Charleston, and it gets so hot and humid here,people are just sweating all the time. Bug spray and suntan lotion along with lotion and oils kill my sheets and towels. The linen works for us because I noticed smells lingered when I was using cotton. And the white towels became dingy after a few uses. We also have so many sunny days it's easy to pop them out of the wash and line dry. It does, however require multipal sets. I get the sheets from a woman in Poland who employs friends and neighbors to help hand craft them. She is Shumahandmade. You can google her. She has a shop on That site where you get handcrafted items that starts with an "E" The towels also come from a shop on the same site called Linen for Home. You can start a convo with her on the site to get what you need if you chose to go that route. Linen for home does some wholesale pricing for Airbnb hosts-- so don't let the prices freak you out. It has a rally been cheaper in the long run than having to re-buy and replace constantly. I do small orders monthly to build the collections for both my spaces. Cheers!
Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

The amenity most mentioned as our Guests most favorite is the hot tub.  We take good care in keeping it very clean, changing the filter after each booking, changing the water frequently, ensuring the chemicals are balanced before each visit, and putting beautiful lavendar scent in the water.  They also love the fire pit, and the personal note that I leave for them with a gift that is perfect for the family or the weather.

Patricia86
Level 4
Chico, CA

We are near the airport and most of the women who stay with us are in between flights or interviewing at an airline.  We offer bathrobes, house socks, and a grab and go breakfast bar.  When there is fruit on the trees, some of them love to pick their breakfast. And, at other times, I give them a packet of home dried fruit for the plane rode.  The one thing that they appreciate the most though, are the rides we are often able to give them to and from the airport.  

Jake0
Level 5
Coeur d'Alene, ID

My main listing was designed specifically to attract families so I renovated the basement and made it into a  gameroom featuring a console system,hdtv, airhockey table, poker table and pool table and a toy chest for kid appropriate toys. I also made sure to add in a hottub as those are typically a great return on income for the investment.

gameroom.jpggameroom.jpggameroom3.jpggameroom4.jpg

Squeeze Pods - Cute one use toiletries and travel toothbrush/toothpaste.  I don't list as amenity but it is much appreciated by people who arrive late and have forgotten to bring their own. Squeezepod also support women family shelters w/ their 'Gimme Shelter' pack.

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 11.43.36 AM.png