What are AirBnB Refund Policies about MOSQUITOES?

Nikita6
Level 4
Venice, Italy

What are AirBnB Refund Policies about MOSQUITOES?

222.png

Can anyone point me to the document which AirBnB uses to decide what is a valid claim for guests to recieve their money back.

I had a guest stay with us and get 2 bites on their arm, they woke up and left without warning and later asked for a refund of the night they did not stay.

Note... We provide: repellent, window nets, and even a bed canopy which can be used for protection against mosquites too, but the guests may choose to open the windows/nets.

I sent AirBnB support a message asking if we should issue a refund... (I know bed bugs are refundedable) but mosquitoes?
and the answer was mixed, at first they sided with me, but in the end gave a refund to the guest.

The information was not consistent, so I am curious where I can find if mosquito bites really do qualify for a refund?

15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nikita6  That's downright insane. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Nikita6  Absolutely bonkers. I travel every few months as a guest, and based on the posts I've read here, I could probably stay for free every single time just by complaining about something real but petty, or simply make up a story. It seems ABB hands out refunds like candy on Halloween.

I would never do that, but I probably could. Hosts are supposed to prevent mosquito bites now? Craziness.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

....yet another effortless victory for the scammers, courtesy of Airbnb's elastic and blatantly guest-centric "policies". Nothing new there, then. 

Airbnb - the easiest scam in town. 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Nikita6  Wow!! That is crazy!! I might as well close my doors if they start offering refunds for bug bites! And our bites can cause serious illnesses. The excuses people come up with really makes you wonder what is happening with the world!

Eugene78
Level 3
СПБ, Russia

A guest from China once complained about the presence of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are everywhere in all countries except, probably, Antarctica, so I gave him a fumigator(Repellent).

Looking at the electric part of it, he said that he would not use it because "this is dangerous."

I replied that it is totally fine, made in China.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I wouldn't be surprised to read a host post here one day that Airbnb refunded the guest because the guest broke a nail punching in the lock box code.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I was almost eaten alive on a recent trip to Venice. I stayed in  a hotel and can imagine the management in fits of giggles had I asked for a refund. Bonkers.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Nikita6, totally ridiculous. Next they'll be refunding for bad weather. 

Toni230
Level 1
Woburn, MA

We hqve no precautions and had to **bleep** the windows when my husband woke up after 90 minutes of sleeping covered in mosquito bites.  Now we are sweating and hot with the windows closed.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Toni230 Well that sounds like a miserable situation. If you are staying for more than one night, ask the host to provide you with a stand-up fan. If you set it on stationary (not oscillating back and forth) and set it up next to the bed so it blows across you, it will keep the annoying critters away from you. That works for me here in the tropics where the insects are numerous and I don't have screens or AC.

Sibel24
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Sorry everyone, but being eaten alive in the middle of the night is not fun. I’m literally on this thread reading about refunds after being bitten 5 times in the past two hours. It’s 2:30am. Who wants that on their vacation? It’s uncomfortable and no one should  have to put up with that. 

@Sibel24  did you read the reviews of the place you're staying in? did others complain about mosquitoes? If so and the owners haven't installed screens, you might have a valid complaint. 

if it's unusual to have mosquitoes, it's not the host's fault, it might be a weird seasonal thing. 
If they live in the tropics, it's pretty normal. Are there screens? Did you open a window at dusk and let them in? Is there air con? turn that on. 

Sibel24
Level 1
San Diego, CA

There were no complaints about mosquitoes in the posting’s reviews. The host left windows open prior to our arrival, no screens. We closed them immediately but it was already too late. And of course, the loft is uncomfortably hot with the windows closed, but the host is asking us to pay extra to use the AC. It’s a lose / lose situation and it’s very frustrating. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As someone who mosquitos are particularly partial too (my ex used to say I was the best repellent on the market as he would never get bitten as long as he was with me) and who has travelled for months and months at a time in the tropics, and also areas where malaria was rife, I have never considered it to be the accommodation provider's responsibility to keep the critters away from me.

Of course, I am grateful when they do provide stuff like window screens or mosquito nets, but I always make sure to travel with all the precautionary measures!

I do very much know what it's like to be 'eaten alive' and also to have allergic reactions to this, to the point where I have brought to tears and had to seek medical assistance, but to expect a host to refund the stay for two mosquito bites is ludicrous.