What are the airbnb city rules/regulations for Lakewood, colorado?

Ryan332
Level 1
Denver, CO

What are the airbnb city rules/regulations for Lakewood, colorado?

We own a house in Lakewood and we are trying to figure out what are the rules for listing your home on airbnb in Lakewood? We see a lot airbnb listing in the area and our neighborhood but we have been unable to find anywhere in the city website information to wether is legal or illegal or any guidance at all. We found a draft from mid 2016, it seems they wanted to incorporate in zoning and allow for some area in Lakewood and limit others but at the end of 2016 when they council met to review the zoning rules they eliminated the paragraph that was explaining airbnb. Since we see people hosting around the area, can someone tell us if they have further information?

4 Replies 4

Did you find out any information about Lakewood?

Kirk22
Level 1
Thornton, CO

So the law in Lakewood, CO states that it can only currently be done with a special use permit (extreamly hard to get) in specific zoning requirements. The city is looking into options and it would appear they are going to follow denvers lead with the primary residency requirements. Golden and Aurora have already addopted a similar law. 

Chana9
Level 1
Lakewood, CO

Dear Fellow AirBnB Members,

We are writing you to gain your support in achieving legal, and attainable, status of Short Term Rentals (STR) in Lakewood. Whether you are aware of this or not, Lakewood listed STRs under the same rules as Bed and Breakfast which requires a commercial business license among other rules governing sanitation, property size, etc. and they say STRs are illegal without this compliance.

Earlier this month Lakewood City Council held a little known Study Session on the topic to hear from the community. Unfortunately there was little turnout and the Council is overwhelmingly in favor of an outright ban that will impose fines and other measures to stop STR activities.

Watch the little publicized city council study session regarding STR’s from May 6, 2019 here:
www.lakewood.org/CouncilVideos/

There’s power in numbers so please email your Mayor and Council Members to voice your support and views.

Mayor Adam Paul apaul@lakewood.org.
Find who your council members are and their contact info here; www.lakewood.org/WardMap/

You can also pledge your support to us by providing your contact information so we may begin to form a committee to discuss next steps on this issue. It’s important that we act now before permanent laws are put in place.

(I’m sorry I will be gone and off the grid June 2-8 but felt this message needed to start getting out asap. I will respond upon my return.)

Chana Guy
Michele Barnett
Shana Yates

The City of Lakewood amended their rules regarding Air BnB.  Enforceable as of July 1, 2019 all Air BnB must have a license to operate and a sales and use tax license.   https://lakewoodspeaks.org/short-term-rentals-licensing