What are the best board games for guests?

Betsy60
Level 3
Johnstown, NY

What are the best board games for guests?

We’ve only been hosting since last October, and the private apartment for guests has a large screen tv with HBO, Showtime, full cable channels, and movies on demand (we’re using the honor system).

I have slowly realized that a lot of people don’t watch that much tv...so other than a pack of cards, I’d like to get more games. I’m definitely getting Scrabble, but does anyone have other ideas for board games that guests would enjoy? 

16 Replies 16

I think no matter from what areas or countries your guests come, there are a few games universally liked by all, and if you round up as many as possible, chances are that you'll please everyone coming in. Monopoly, Scrabble, backgammon, Catan, Jenga, trivial pursuit, to name a few. If you really want to spice things up, maybe even add a little something different to the mix, like a foosball table or an air hockey table that you can find a good deal on. **

What's important is to keep the interest of your guests in mind as much as possible, as not all people come to visit or party. Some just want to rest for a while away from home, and for them, you must provide entertaining activities.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Ticket to Ride is a popular board game, and there are different version with different geographical areas, and more difficulty.  Dutch Blitz is also a card game that would be inexpensive, and if you buy the expansion pack, it can be played by up to 8 people at once, and is easy to learn.