What are the biggest mistakes you made as a new host?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

What are the biggest mistakes you made as a new host?

I am a "new" host to Airbnb having just started in January of this year, but have done event planning at our space prior to using this platform. I am still learning from my mistakes daily 🙂 What advice would you give to new hosts about mistakes you have made  and things to watch out for? Any best practices to share?

For my own part I DEFINITELY recommend having a doorbell camera. It has been incredibly helpful for us and saved us a few times. I would love to hear what others share from their own cache of hosting wisdom. 

21 Replies 21

I've been hosting for two weeks, learned that I have to draw guests' attention to the rules as soon as they book. I don't include kitchen use and my two current guests have pushed against my boundaries on that. I gave in but I won't be doing so again. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Being nervous about how to handle a situation that wasn't okay. The way I ended up handling it turned out to be probably the best way I could have handled it, (what could have resulted in bad blood between me and a guest and ensuing bad reviews turned out not to be, because I followed my gut, since I didn't "know" what to do) but I should have been more confident about my own ability to judge and act rather than being nervous that I "should" have been handling it otherwise.

That's why now when new hosts ask for some general advice on hosting, I always say to just be yourself- don't think that a host has to act this or that way- if you stay true to yourself, then you'll have less to be nervous about and will likely have fewer problems than if you try to follow some perception you might have of what a "good" host acts like.

Janice317
Level 2
Vero Beach, FL

My biggest mistake was accepting a reservation from "Aubrey"  He booked as if he was a single, but brought 3 additional guests with him.  I discussed it with him, but when he whined that he would have to leave I let them stay.  They were my worst guests so far.  Left the place absolutely filthy and wrote an awful review.  My second biggest mistake was not defending myself and my property from his review.  I just wanted them to go away and thought that if I replied to his review it would start an online war.  Now the review stands as it was written with no explanation from me.  We are still learning, but a doorbell camera is going in next week.

We host in our home with a two-night minimum, and also 70 minutes away in the mountains. When we put our two-bedroom condo in the White Mountains online, we first made the mistake of having a two-night minimum. We very quickly realized that was not sustainable as we both have "regular" jobs. Depending on the time of the year, we have a three-night or four-night minimum now. We will experiment next summer with a weekly rate. Welcome to Airbnb! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do. M.E. 

Amy1129
Level 2
Portland, OR

I am only in my second summer of hosting a guest suite in my basement.  At first I expected guests would actually read my listing specifics and house manual but learned that rarely happens. Through helpful information in the Community Center conversations I have updated by listing details and booking notes to highlight important points.  

I increased my cleaning fee after I had to spend many extra hours with my housecleaner to clean up the mess left by several guests.

My laundry is agacent to the guest space but behind a locked door (it is also my pantry). I was giving access to anyone who asked, but have since changed to only giving access to those staying over a week.  I had too many guests coming into town for a long weekend asking to do laundry before they went home. 

I am still learning. 

I find it so tedious repeating stuff that's both in the online manual and written down in the room and was explained verbally at checkin. I need to find a way to not be annoyed about it or it will drive me crazy.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

Hi- my biggest mistake was relying on my guest’s own common sense. This has forced me to make things so incredibly obvious! 

To give contents I would use our induction cooker as an example. It’s only a year old and works perfectly but for some reason people keep on confusing the child lock (key sign) for the on/off button and then complain that it’s not working. I have had three guests write to remind me that induction cookers requires “special pans” *SMH*. I go into an unnecessary panic mode thinking it’s a faulty unit and realise after rushing there it’s on childlock. Some even go on to ask how do they know the induction cooker stove is on... it’s hot. 

So now, I have written a very specific house manual explaining this and will leave a waterproof label explaining this soon. 

As someone said to me- common sense is not that common so start by assuming they know nothing. Even if it is condescending in context as long as it’s explained through humour and kindness people can be explained these things. 

Also now if someone asks for a favour we consider it, if they request it- we simply say no. As in our family, entitlement and lack of manners get you no-where! 

Good luck everyone!