What are your Check out/Check in Times?

Geoff22
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

What are your Check out/Check in Times?

I've been doing check-out at noon and check in at 3.  I haven't had any trouble with either of these, and a 3 hour window is plenty for me, it usually takes me about an hour to do a complete job if both rooms (2 br unit) were used.  However, this last weekend my daughter stayed at a nearby airbnb that had check-in at 2:00 PM.  Thinking it over, it seems more of my guests leave early and, not infrequently, I get a guest that would like to check-in sooner, so perhaps 11-2 would be better, but I'd like to hear what other hosts are doing, and why.

14 Replies 14
Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Geoff22 I do a 12pm check-in and 12-pm check-out. For me, I found that many of my guests were coming from a significant distance so they would arrive in the late afternoon or evening. I could make it later, but I like to offer some flexibility for travelers with different situations. Similar to you, I've found that many of my guests are out by late morning. I think it all depends on the trends that you see with your guests. In your experience if you feel that your guests would appreciate a slightly earlier allowance, then I suggest you make the change!

Daniel

between 12pm and 12pm, when do you have time to change the sheets?

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

Ah! Forgot to mention that I have a day gap for preparation.

if you cut that day gap down to 3 hours, you could rent all those "middle days".

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Geoff22I do 3 pm check in and 11 am check out. This is standard for most hotels, and I figure they have way more money to invest in market research than I do. We get requests for both early check in and late check out, so the 4-hour window gives us some flexibility. If one person is cleaning it takes 2 hours or so, and if two people are cleaning it takes a little over an hour, so still lots of room for flexibility if needed. Alternately, if there is a situation where something is excessively soiled or broken, it still gives time to fix it. For example, over Christmas a guest derailed our shower door, so we needed the 4 hours to get it fixed before the next guest arrived. We mostly host guests back to back, so it's important that there is some kind of buffer for us. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Geoff22

I realized that I have to set it earlier than it suites me so even if someone is an hour late - no problem

check out until 11:00

check in from 14:00 (studio) / 15:00 (apartment) to 19:00 h

Geoff22
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

I have the luxury of self-check in via a code lock so I don't need to be present when people arrive.  Their unit is completely separate from where I live.  They can check in as late as they like, just don't come when I'm still mopping the floor.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Geoff22. I am currently using 10:30 check out and 4pm check in, but I keep forgetting that I moved the check in time later and welcome them at 3. This is actually fairly tight from a cleaning point of view following any guests that were a bit sloppy. Plus, I need lunch. Can't ever forget lunch!

To accomodate guests that have earlier flights or who need to leave later, I offer to let them keep their bags on the first floor. There is a small 1/2 bath down there so they can use the facitilites before heading off with their luggage.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Geoff22, every host's situation will be different, so check in and checkout times are going to vary. Some hosts work 9-5, while others are at home all day, some have self check in, some have gap days, etc. etc. Apart from all these factors, I agree with @Alexandra316 that a 3pm check in and 11am checkout is appropriate (this is what I have) and generally not an issue for most guests. However, if an 11-12 check in time would work for you, go for it! Just bear in mind, though, that you will need to set your checkout time earlier to allow for cleaning and maybe not ALL your guests will want to leave that early.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

4pm check-in, 11am check-out at our vacation rentals and 10am at our basement guest suite. We offer early/late when we can and find that early check-in is popular but late check-out is not used much.

I do checkout at 11 am and checkin at 3pm. Takes 4 hours to clean and reset. Exceptions only in rare cases.  Most hotels I go to have the same hours,

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Geoff22: We do a 4pm check-in and a 12pm check-out. Its takes us roughly the entire 4 hours to change over the studio for a new guest.

How long is your typical guest booking?  If I had to spend 4 hrs for every overnight guest I think I'd quit right now.

I also do 11AM check-out and 3PM check-in (standard in the hotel industry). This gives me some flexibility to do the turnover (tiny unit takes about an hour) and also allows me to be flexible and offer early check-in and late check-out if someone needs it, which guests then see as a perk. Makes them feel good. 🙂