Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your best tips for hosting international guests? [Updated]

Welcome

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are are having a great week. 🙂

On a daily basis you welcome guests from all over the world into you home and in doing so have gained some amazing experiences. To celebrate this, Airbnb would love to write a blog article on our community’s best tips for hosting international guests! What are yours?

Are there any particular things you have updated in your listing to help welcome folks traveling from afar or perhaps you may have adjusted your hosting to anticipate what they might need? 

Please share your best tips here and we'll include some of them in the Airbnb Blog and in the Host Newsletter! 🙂

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

-----------------------Edited Sep 15th 2017----------------------

Update:

Hello everyone,

Some time ago you may remember I created this thread here asking you to share your tips on hosting and welcoming international guests! I am pleased to let you know that a selection of tips were collected from here (along with the other CC languages) and were turned into a blog post: Hosting International Guests

I want to thank everyone who shared their tips and participated in this discussion and congratulations to @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0@Helga0@Huaai0@Momi0@Kim-and-Jen0@Louise0@Beth44@Nina115@Anastasia5@Paul154@Amy38@Josie23@Mariann4 for being included, please feel free to continue sharing your tips, it is fantastic to hear them! 🙂

Enjoy!
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

108 Replies 108
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

OOo this topic is rather quiet! hehe 🙂

Some of the things that come to mind and I have heard mentioned in the CC before is that some hosts create little signs in the language of their guest to make them feel welcome and to highlight particular things in their home.

Also, perhaps you simply leave a plug adapter in their room? I now have quite a collection of different socket adapters which I have collected over the years, clearly showing the amount of times I have forgotten or taken the wrong one with me! 

Do you do anything similar? It would be great to hear from you.

@Rachael26@Jeet0@Annette33@Cormac0@Helen3@David126@Branka-and-Silvia0@Cynthia-and-Chris1@Alice-and-Jeff0@Lawrene0@Linda108@Gerry-And-Rashid0 @Ali40@Hilary-And-Ed0@Paul154@Marit-Anne0@Ange2@Monika64@Tim-and-Holly0@Bruce43, @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0@Dave-and-Deb0@Andrea9@Clare0@Steve143@Jessica-and-Henry0@Allison2@Mariann4, @Em4@Christine1@Paul154@Momi0@Farah1@Nutth0@Wendy-and-Frank0@Harry22@Helga0@Huaai0

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie I learned to take down all my Japanese wall prints when guests from China arrive.

@Bruce43    OMG......that reminds me of how I have to remove my birth mothers photo from my wall in order for my middle sister to come over and eat dinner!  LOL!!!!  Why can't people just move on, right?  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Josie23
Level 2
State of Bahia, Brazil

Wow!! Very good idea, thank you to share it!!

My idea is to, for the guest who stay more than 3 days, you can leave a local breakfast. As I am in Bahia, Brazil, I will leave some fruits, Tapioca/pancake and some local tea, because I would love to try the local food everywhere I go. I think it's a very good idea to the people who trust you and choose your house to stay.

Josie delfino

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Josie23 I do the same .... Local products is alway taste better.

I like the idea of having local tastes!

Thanks JoLynne

My daughter in law makes homemade bread, and gronola bars.  I always leave those treats, plus coffee and cereal options .. not many takers on the later, but the homemade goodies always are welcome.

Adapters was my first thought too!

I need to get some!

Thanks for setting up this conversation JoLynne

Get Google Translator on your laptop and be ready to type.

@Lizzie I usually set the TV language setting based on the nationality of the guests.

Tassos4
Level 2
Agia Paraskevi, Greece

We give to all guests local wine and olives/olive oil from our own olive trees.

Sometimes we also bring in between some local sweets, and if kids are coming, a few toys for them.

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Lizzie For me all of my guests is international .... so for me I took them to local restaurant. Spent time talking and share culture story. I try to do this with time. It work great for me.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds lovely @Nutth0, I am sure your guests really enjoy it and they also discover a good local restaurant in the process! 🙂 Are there any particular things you have found your guest like hearing about in your area?  

--------------------

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Lizzie My area is call Wat Umong area ( Wat = temple) Nowadays, got a reputation as an artist's village most famous is "Baan Kang Wat". On this road there are a lot of third wave Cafés, good-taste restaurants and artist studios with owner selling their homemade goods. You can also found Bunny cafe and Cat Cafe.

So I can say my area is Hipster area ^.^

I also have a booklet with Map for guests to explore my area.