Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your cleaning tips?

Cleanliness Tips

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all good. 🙂

The cleaning process is something that all hosts go through, either by looking after it yourself or managing a person/company to take care of it. 

A few months ago, @Sandra126 created a great thread on ways to clean grouting, which led to a more general topic on how to remove stains, where many of you shared fantastic tips. With this in mind, I thought it would be useful to start a new discussion where we can share tips with each other on how you prepare your listing ready to receive your guests. 

How do you prepare your bathroom, shower, floors/carpets and towels/linens ready to receive your guests? Do you do it yourself or you use a cleaning service? Are there any special details you always make sure are ready? Do you normally have quite a tight turnaround to get your listing ready for your next guest?

Please share your tips below and I looking forward to hearing your responses. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

78 Replies 78
Robin173
Level 2
Silver City, NM

I agree that a routine is a must.  I always start with stripping beds and gathering laundry, then clean the bathroom first.  I use Clorox wipes on all light switches, door knobs, drawer pulls and handles, remote controls - pretty much everything.

Recently,  I’ve had a spate of guests either smoking or using diffusers in the apartment despite it being against the rules (it is self-contained and I don’t enter until they’ve left).  I have a 3-hour turn around to clean, how do people deal with lingering odors?  The last one was so bad that I had to open all the windows (in cold weather); spray Lysol and Febreze on all safe furnishings - it still smells offensive.  I didn’t know what to tell the poor arriving guests.  Worst part is the offending guest is also an Airbnb host - they should know better.

I require a $100.00 potential damage fee, Airbnb also charges. I would add to my RULES, any smoking will require a full-service smoke removal at your expense of $100.00 This couple would get a poor review and I would call Airbnb. When I first started I gave great reviews just because I was new and wanted to be liked. After the third stinker (one wanted me to prepare vegan food, I do not even offer my kitchen) One wanted to sneak two more people in the room- they were young) After that I wrote on my rules *good reviews will no longer be given just because it must be earned. I am a Super Host because I earned that designation by catering to my guests, offering extras, and keeping their area spotless. Good Luck!

@Robin173, if you set out a few saucers with vinegar in them, they will absorb a lot of the smoke smell, without leaving any smell themselves.  Good luck!

Spencer82
Level 2
Cedar City, UT

Buy a Bissel Crosswave. It has changed my life. It’s a wet/dry vac that I just go over all surfaces (hard floors, rugs, carpet, wood, etc) and it had saved my life. I use it for a entire house that we Airbnb and it picks up everything.