What are your goals as a host for 2020?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your goals as a host for 2020?

20160720_SeasonalQ2_Jen_Portland_Elliott_0836_RET.jpg

Hi everyone,

As well as New Year’s resolutions, we may also choose to set specific goals when it comes to both work and personal life. Hosting often meshes those two parts of life together so when we succeed it’s a double whammy of positivity! But we have to make sure we aren’t stretching ourselves too thin so our goals remain achievable. 

Have you set any hosting goals to aspire to this year? 

Whether it’s profitability, renovations or good ol’ fashioned survival, we’d love to hear your plans!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

29 Replies 29
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie  and @everyone-else

My number 1 goal is not to have any more accidents and injuries!

2019 will be remembered for having a few of those and on a very positive note, as some of you will recall, a cross section of Guests including those involved in the Medical Profession, and those who are needing Medical Treatment, all of whom are more than welcome to cross my path again and come and stay in 2020!!

I hope we in New Zealand see the return of people visiting from the UK and those who postponed or cancelled visits to this part of the world due to the tragic case involving backpacker & UK  visitor Grace Millane.

I personally would like to see the removal of the discriminatory $35 charge to those who visit NZ who are not from the selected countries that are not exempt as I have reason to believe some have felt unwelcome to NZ, and it has impacted on Tourist numbers, we are all one people regardless of where we are from.

@Stephanie

@Laura and others @Airbnb

I hope to see you and your colleagues visit this part of the world and Australia on more than a whistle stop visit.

It's timely that those places that have had disasters and operate Open Home Programs in place are on the ABB agenda, and to physically support with a hug and thank all those who have been impacted on.

Looking forward to meeting some of you here in Community Centre and spending happy memories with all my Guests, some of whom are also Hosts who may be needing respite from your stressors to "Nurture with Nature."

See you soon!!

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera, Auckland

New Zealand

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yes @Helen427 PLEASE NO MORE INJURIES!!

Well yesterday we were talking about what new and exciting things we can do with this community and one of the top items on the agenda was more online and offline meetups!

Watch this space,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thanks @Stephanie  and others, I thoroughly enjoyed my first swim this year with my hand finally in the water!!

It was bliss.

I have learnt that even when one has injuries there are ways and means of still getting into the water and benefiting ones health without getting water on wounds.

Whilst I had some funny comments with a glove on my hand as I was recovering, it was a chance to help educate and talk to others I would not normally have a chance to.

May we all have swimming pools back in schools and in every community.

HI Helen427,

We must be hand injury buddies of 2019.  Feb. 24, 2019 I shattered by dominate wrist (left) and had 3 surgeries over 9 months and followed by 11 months of weekly therapy.  It was the year from (H E double hockey sticks!) to say the least.  We opened up our Airbnb in Nov. 2019 (delayed due to my shattered wrist) and within 48 hours had our first booking and now it's March 1, 2020 and we have 14 bookings for a total of 150 days.  We are NOT in a tourist area of the world (Northern IL, with snowy winters) in a very small town so we didn't think this would go over at all but to our surprise people come to small towns in winter and need places to stay so we are so happy we've joined the Airbnb community.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

My goal for 2020 is to welcome the maximum guests i can in order to allow them to discover Mauritius island!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I want to raise my income and optimize occupation rate.
I want to slightly better a bathroom of one of my listings.
I want to change slightly the layout one listing.
Those are my goals for 2020, so far.

My goal for 2020 is to invite the most guests I can to Birdsong, in Barbados and really treat them well

John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephanie  @Helen427  @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0  @J-Renato0  and everyone else that stops by to let us know your aims for 2020 - which I'm sure we'll all hope will be - in each of our diverse ways - better than last year, whether that's by giving an even better experience of the hospitality each Host affords their Guests, whether by adding more facilities, providing more information about "What's On" in and around your accommodation during the year, by being able to make a bigger profit, having more bookings, or by just keeping well (and disasters of all types being kept well away)

I'm sure that most Host's would love to both do and have all of the above, but as @Stephanie 's question was aimed more at us as individuals, that's how I'm going to say what I have planned for 2020, as well as how I'm hoping the year will pan out.

Rather than my say the reasons why (ok, it's cos I tend to let words run away on the 'page' once I get started!) what I'm going to do for the moment is to list what I'd like to achieve in 2020, and find out whether any other Hosts' are hoping to achieve the same, so here goes!

a). My prime aim is to end the 2020-2021 financial year having actually MADE a profit (and if possible, a healthy one!)

b). Out of the loss I made last year (!) I am aiming to purchase new beds, curtains, replace the TV, maybe get a couple more for the bedrooms, and if I'm not in the paupers' prison after all that, to have an en-suite added to the master bedroom.

c). Find time to do a bit of gardening each dry day

d). Get on top of my Tax Return early in the year instead of rushing around like a b.a.f. at the last minute.

e). Find time for my wife and I to have more "us" time together, other than when we're at our cottage ensuring that when our Guests' arrive, everything will be as perfect as possible for their stay.

Oh yes, and perhaps the one thing that has been on my mind in recent months, and that is to find out why it is that apart from the likes of Facebook, and - if there are any, anywhere other than in London - why there aren't lots of Groups of Hosts around the UK, where Hosts' can chat with, get help and guidance from, as well as come up with suggestions etc, for their particular area, that would be beneficial for Host's in general, and Airbnb in particular.

Apart from all that, I'll probably think of something else, but for now, I'm off to bed, as it's just gone 02:00am!

Night-night one and all!

Mark3058
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

Our hosting goal for 2020 is to start hosting business travelers... but it seems Airbnb has made this impossible (see https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Policy-change-to-quot-work-ready-quot-listings/td-p/1200...

I have to have a business review to be seen by business travelers. Business travelers cannot see my listing. Therefore I can never have a business review. Airbnb has created a Catch-22 by which a host can never become "work ready" and survive the "work trip" filter.

Really boring list, mine:  Get the garden sorted, tidy up and paint the outside of the house, fit some lights down the front path, and grow all our own veg by 2021.

And (of course) make ends meet, which is what brought us to Airbnb in the first place!

We just had a review which included  "Easily the best place I've ever stayed in and probably will ever stay."  Wow! Flattering.     So, yes, some more like that please! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie  the last New Year's resolution I made was years ago and that was to stop making New Year's resolutions!

But hey, let's call them goals so I don't break that last one 🙂

Mostly it's to get a lot of jobs sorted around the house. Stop making excuses, procrastinating and instead make time and prioritise that a bit more. That is easier said that done as my life is quite booked up by work, hosting (so much laundry and cleaning) and family and then I squeeze in friends and fun when I can. 

However, there is so much satisfaction in getting a job done and sometimes it's actually fun. I want to go back to spending lots of time on the garden (as I did before I started hosting) and I kind of enjoy slapping paint on stuff.

I guess the other goal is to stress less about hosting. Much as I would like the place to be spotless most of the time, that just isn't possible when you are hosting multiple long-term guests. I have stopped worrying so much about bookings and reviews. I have found that the bookings come in anyway and the reviews/ratings have improved since I worried less about them. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

Another goal would be to find a fabulous cleaner and some decent, reliable builders, plumbers, handymen etc, but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

My hosting goal for 2020 is making guest happy. I am going to paint the house and make the garden tidy and maintain more colorful flower in front.

Boris222
Level 2
Dubrovnik, HR

Hello everyone! First of all, I am very happy to be part of AIRBNB community. In June 2019 I started as a host and without doubt I did not expect to earn superhost status straight away, especially because my listing is seasonal. I am still new to AIRBNB despite fact I have superhost status. My goal for 2020 is simple, be better as host than in 2019. We will add some more flowers in the apartment, welcome gift last year was bottle of local wine and for 2020 we will add something like a homemade snack. Personal touches has to stay at high standard, quick responses, cleanliness etc. 

Leon78
Level 2
Launching Place, Australia

my goal for 2020 is to hope Airbnb customer relations improve and stop inviting known thieves to other Airbnb hosts whilst asking me to compensate my guest with the offer of a free nights accommodation, then taking months and countless emails to come forward with any sort of resolution. I have been afforded super host status and if you check out ALL of my reviews you will see what sort of person I am ( Room with two beds, Launching Place)