What are your hosting goals for 2022?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your hosting goals for 2022?

515034_GettyImages-769720227-foryou (2).jpg

Hi everyone,

New Year, new start? Those familiar words can feel a bit difficult in the current climate, but we all do try our best to make the most of it, regardless. Whether it’s getting in shape, learning a new skill or quitting a bad habit, the majority of us try out a resolution for at least the first week of January! 

For Hosts there are different goals based on our previous learnings, experiences and successes - be they ratings, revenue or relationships.

What are your hosting goals for 2022? And how to plan to meet them?

If there’s one term we can use for Hosts, it’s highly adaptable. I look forward to hearing how you’re adapting your business to meet your goals!

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

29 Replies 29
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Hi @Quincy ! 

I anticipated some cancelations for this month, so scheduled upgrades and maintenance, and when guest cancel it gives me a little more flexibility. Just installed a mini split that should help out but you never know. Will they love it or one more thing to complain about or break? 🙂 Time will tell! It was a fun project. Just finished up last night. Also inching up in rates to cover last minute cancelations, ruined towels, sheets, etc. 

I installed a thermoset as well. Seems like it will be easy for them. Although the room temp stays about 2 degrees warmer than the set temp. I set it to 69 and room temp says 72. Hope it works out as I only had a few hours to tinker with it. 

Yes its all about adapting! 

IMG_1665 2.JPG

IMG_1651 2.JPG66311934524__51138633-EFB3-4062-8383-CE1CEE4AD72E.JPG

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

Nice, take advantage of the time to make improvements.

@Patrick568 Yes! Just seeing this now. I'm still in the process of sorting out a few bugs. Got unlucky as the thermostat isn't compatible with the system that was listed as the only accessory thermostat and sold together from the huge online seller. Frustrating but hopefully new one they recommended will function better. I just installed a Nest thermostat for the central unit that has been flawless. Although if the new thermostat  is compatible it will allow a wide range of custom settings such as a temp range that guest could adjust, say between 68-78 degrees, and limit option seen on the screen to make it simple to adjust by just selecting heat or cool then press the arrow up or down.

But yes this worked out  pretty well. Had a few cancelations so getting a few things done.   

Edit: It also has a remote control but this set up really needs a thermostat. I only had a few hours to test it and make adjustments with installer codes. Although wish I hadn't ordered this one as it may not function properly with any of the LG thermostats or any other. The tech expert called LG and they reccomened one that says for commercial use only. Hope it works all works out. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @John5097, this looks very neat! Is everything working fine? 

-----

@Quincy Yes its working very well. I adjusted a few of the installer codes so the original thermoset is working as it ought to as well as the hand held remote. I'll have another day to adjust the settings, and new remote arrives on Friday, so will install that next week. 

Today I rebuilt an irrigation pump house. I had used a dog house and put the well pump in there,  so decided to build another. It was rotted. Still needs to be painted. I think green.

IMG_1679.JPGIMG_1675.JPG 

@Quincy 

Just an update. The new thermostat is working great. The first guest to use it last night with freezing rain and they opened the windows, and the little mini split didn't freeze up or break. Its 32 now and pouring out hot air and keeping room at exact temp set. 

One of the challenges for 2022 is the technical glitches and supply chain disruptions. A month after I purchased this mini split none of the on line distributers are offering a thermostat or replacement hand held remote for this unit. Can't even find one on eBay. So will use this one and keep the other for a back up. 

The remote can also be custom set to limit temp range, can display or hide functions such auto Auto mode, heating or cooling, scheduling, etc so for winter guest only option is heat, room temp, fan speed, and on off. In Spring and Fall they can choose Heat or Cool. In Summer just Cool.

Not sure it was worth doing it all myself as the supply chain issues make if more challenging, but was kinda fun. 

Hopefully guest like it. It is super quiet and working great so far.  

IMG_1713.JPG

Quick clarification: I had to update my house rules to include not opening windows in the winter. Before this I only specified not opening windows when the AC was on, as that could make entire unit freeze up its so humid and hot. I also don't keep constant watch over guest, and sometimes only see clues, such as unlatched windows after they have left. The good news is that utilities only cost $150 total last month for both living spaces. Also went up in rates 6% and still getting bookings just fine. 

My first goal of 2022 is to reach 200 five star reviews but don't think it will happen as some guest simply don't read anything in the listing. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Quincy 

We're done with Airbnb, losing SH status.  We cancelled 1 in our hosting since Sep 2020.  We are seasonal, so out of 7 months we are pretty much at a loss, by the numbers to consistently achieve SH.  Can't  figure out why we still have it. Pandemic?

No matter, a few days ago, I was "kindly" advised by CS that I will be losing my SH on Apr 1 2022. Apparently  the Jan 1 2022 SH is estimated on the April 2022 result.  As well, as noted on the Airbnb website, SH status is based on both guest and host cancellations.  IMHO totally unfair that hosts should be penalized for guest cancellations.

What makes me insane, is that I achieved SH within my 1st 60 days starting Sep 2020 during  pandemic.

Our goal  "walk away".

BTW - It took us less than 24 hours to find a private sale.

Wishing everyone on the CC all the best for future endeavors.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

All the best @M199 for your new adventures.

Hope we see you still pop in here as enjoyed your contributions from across the miles over here in New Zealand.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Helen427  @Quincy 

Thank you for awesome support and insights.  Best wishes for  all our dedicated hosts. Health, happiness and serenity for 2022.

Hola Helen soy cubana agradezco tus buenos deseos para este nuevo año e igualmente para ti que tengas un año cargado de ÉXITOS Y MUCHA SALUD!! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I've just read your previous comment, and I'm so sorry to hear about your SH status @M199 😞. I hope we'll still see you around on the Community. 

-----

Sue509
Level 2
Damascus, OR

This is the first time I've looked at the host Community Center. 2022 Goals peeked my interest, and I soon related to the comments here. I've often made improvements prompted by a problem guest. My 2022 goal is particularly helpful in getting through the low $ and slow season here in the Pacific Northwest. After hosting for 5 years I've discovered that the attitude that serves me and my guest the best is, "meet people where they are at". Slow and cold season historically brings a higher number of problems. Just one week into 2022 and I had a guest leave my place with the most costly damage I've had so far.  Taking my 2022 Host Goal in mind, I was amazed at the response I later got from the guest. It was a sincere apology, and she paid for half of the damage and losses. Now I will take the same attitude with Airbnb as I ask them to pay for the other half the damages. 2022 New and Improved Attitude!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no @Sue509! I hope everything will get sorted for you so that you can get off on the right foot this year!

-----