What are your hosting goals for 2022?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your hosting goals for 2022?

515034_GettyImages-769720227-foryou (2).jpg

Hi everyone,

New Year, new start? Those familiar words can feel a bit difficult in the current climate, but we all do try our best to make the most of it, regardless. Whether it’s getting in shape, learning a new skill or quitting a bad habit, the majority of us try out a resolution for at least the first week of January! 

For Hosts there are different goals based on our previous learnings, experiences and successes - be they ratings, revenue or relationships.

What are your hosting goals for 2022? And how to plan to meet them?

If there’s one term we can use for Hosts, it’s highly adaptable. I look forward to hearing how you’re adapting your business to meet your goals!

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

29 Replies 29
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

I would definitely like to follow @John5097 's example and use quieter periods to do more home improvements/maintenance, which seems never ending at my house!

Most of 2020 and the first half of 2021 were very quiet indeed due to the pandemic. When the weather was good, I spent quite a bit of time working on the garden, but otherwise, I really did not use the time wisely. Looking back, I could have got so much more done. I don't know if I had some sort of 'lockdown brain', but I kept starting things and not finishing them.

Things have picked up considerably in the last few months, but I am still getting cancellations and date changes which open up gaps in the diary, which provide the perfect opportunity to get some things sorted around the house.

The list of improvements is way too long to include here, but some of my priorities are:

- Find ways to better insulate the house, without breaking the bank.

- Sort out any leaks. Keeping the house water tight is an endless battle. Last year I had four of these issues sorted but there are at least another five that need attention now!!

- Find someone to renovate the staircase. I made a big effort to do this last year but got precisely nowhere. It's a big job that no one seems willing to tackle.

Hopefully I can then get to the fun stuff.

- Quite a big spruce up for the whole kitchen diner area, which includes repainting walls, ceilings, wood work new wallpaper and painting a LOT of furniture, putting up pictures and a few small repairs.

- Finish redecorating/updating the entrance hall/study area. This is sort of the look I'm going for, although not exactly. I have bought a similar (but more affordable) mural for one of the walls:

7e8c8859e4e102e6aca8981882b556fb.jpeg9bee81aec22973e057cc4bb090e5ed0d.jpegd9add41b945831a19923e0829d5878a7.jpeg

My goal is to find out the best pricing for my area and style of home.  I will spend this time to revamp my ad.  Good luck, all! 

Oh my goodness, love the look!  I have a simple bungalow/cottage on Airbnb here in York, England but my own home is a Victorian detached which is craving a makeover.  I am constantly repairing, replacing, working on the cottage and my own home doesn't get a look in.   This year my goal is to concentrate on longer term lets of 1 month + so that I can free up some time.  I've been letting out my cottage for holidays for the past 5 years.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alison880 

Long lets work for me. As I am hosting in my own home, there's still a lot of work involved as I have to tend to the guests' day to day needs + I have three guest rooms rented out on separate bookings.

However, if you are renting out a separate property, sure that should free up time. Just please be aware of UK tenancy rules. I don't have to worry about this too much as I rent in my own, primary residence, so that means my guests do not have tenants' rights. At most, they are lodgers/licensees, and the rules are very different.

Before you start doing one month + stays, do make sure you are thoroughly au fait and up-to-date with what right they may or may not have under the tenancy laws, what is involved if you need to evict them (Airbnb may well not help you) etc.

I don't want to scare you, but it's best to be fully informed.

On a happier note, best of luck with your renovations on your Victorian home. Would love to see before/after pictures and, if you have the time, do please post them here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Before-and-after-pics/m-p/486728#M110692

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0, I love this style! 

-----

As older hosts, we have had our in-home listing inactive during the global Covid 19 pandemic. We have opened it back up for late winter and hope to be able to host guests again. Meanwhile, we already have a reservation for the fall, so here's hoping the pandemic is well behind us by then.  M.E. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Let's hope so @Scott-and-Mary-Ellen0

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Quincy my goals for 2022 is to get my tax spread sheet done ealier than last year.

Make new cushion covers for lounge and the outside furniture. try and stick to the blocking my before and after guest book in, so that I am not as rushed with change overers. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Looks like you'll be busy for some time @Laurelle3!

-----

Ginger3
Level 3
Shepherdstown, WV

We usually close for January, and this year is no different. Most years we use this month for renovations at the Airbnb. This time we are remodeling our home, so we've moved over to our Airbnb. We are having a wonderful time. It really feels like we're on vacation!  

2021 ended up being our favorite year for hosting. People were so ready to travel. Most of our guests come from the DC metro area.  After a year of working from home in tiny apartments, people really appreciated getting out and stretching their legs.  The littles especially loved running around outside and playing in the stream.  We had to make some adjustments in booking due to covid, but we still had a really good year financially. 

Here's hoping for an even better 2022 everyone!

20210618_202502.jpg

What a lovely spot you have outside for your guests, @Ginger3 !  I have found the same thing with folks from big cities as we are an hour north of Philadelphia and 2 hours west of NYC.  We're not really in the most luscious vacation area (like YOU appear to be!!) but honestly, folks are so delighted to have a cottage, even in a busy area, that looks and feels fresh and clean and is just different from the same old, same old they have been stuck in for so long! 

I actually just booked a cottage on a farm for myself in February,  just 18 mins away!!   I'm getting my Staycation and I don't have to do laundry afterwards!!  LOL

Anyone else taken a Staycation nearby your own Airbnb just to get a weekend away? 🙂  

Anyway, cheers to all for a successful 2022 (we certainly deserve it, don't you think!?)  

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I second that @Jill861 has said! This looks absolutely lovely 😊

-----

Shawn499
Level 2
Brentwood, TN

It sounds like some of the top things everyone has on their list is maintenance for the start of 2022. I'm right there with you.. Jan./Feb. in Nashville, I dedicate to upgrading my properties..new pots/pans, towels...in some cases furniture...and new paint.

That aside, my top 3 goals are: Repeat Guests,  A Set Goal on the number of 5 star Reviews, and some sort of CRM to manage information about all of my guests. 

-S

DSC07118.JPG

Oops, looks like loading a photo has changed since I last added a post. That's The Guest Suite used in the email about "setting goals". It's my property and I don't set any goals.

LOL, I have no goals except to do what I always do. I'm laughing, because you used my property and income to head up this topic.

I do have some tips. Go with your gut when making decisions. When I was told to lower prices to attract more bookings, I resisted, then when sufficiently annoyed, I raised my pricing, several times, until I noticed that I was no longer being solicited to lower prices. I also maintained a steady stream of bookings and realized that I was not losing bookings.

I raised my minimum night stays because I live in a city visited by a large number of tourists each year.  While not everyone is in this position, I encourage anyone who is to try that. It takes just as long to clean up after a one night stay as it does for a 4 night stay, but your income has quadrupled and your work has been minimized. If it doesn't work you can always reverse it. This accounts for a good portion of my increased income.

I don't charge extra fees for anything. Everything is included in my pricing so I don't appear to be nickel and diming potential guests. I am flexible with check in hours and allow the guest arrival time to determine check in time, even if inconvenient for me, because I still remember waiting 6 hours for my Airbnb in Amsterdam, only to knock on the door to find the other guests had not left and the cleaning crew took another 20 minutes to "clean" it for me. My first priority as host is to keep my place clean enough for guests to notice. I put effort into it. Try to not keep guests waiting for an arbitrary check in time. I wonder why so many hosts select 3:00 p.m.  for a check in time, when they can compete better with hotels by offering an earlier time.

I decided to not underprice comps in my neighborhood, because it was like comparing apples to oranges and felt like a race to the bottom; we are all so different. I don't compete with hosts, but with hotels.

I have no instant booking nor self check-in. I need to meet guests and have time to email them several times, to offer personalized service and build some kind of rapport. The charm of the traditional B&B always included talking to the host and getting their input, while learning a bit about their culture. Without that, it's just a bed.  Being friendly and hospitable costs nothing, but not putting out that effort can cost a lot. You have the advantage in this business if you really like people and show it.