What are your questions on how Airbnb search works?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your questions on how Airbnb search works?

Search.png

Hello everyone,

I imagine many of you in the past have explored this detailed Q&A, where we asked the team behind Airbnb Search some of the most popular questions from the Community Center. We would like to go back to the team and ask them some more recent question on how Airbnb's search function works.

We will be including some frequently asked questions we have spotted, but we also wanted to check if you have any general search questions you would like them to answer.  

What do you want to know about how Airbnb's search function works?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

51 Replies 51
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen427,

I hope you are having a lovely start to the weekend. 

Good spot and I feel like someone has mentioned this in the past in the CC. Do you think there is a way to prevent guests assuming there is wi-fi? A name change perhaps?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Depending on where you are located some people may like the lack of wi-fi and the freedom it may give them. The majority of our guests request the wi-fi code immediately on check in and in our location I think we would miss out on a lot of bookings by not having it. I guess nowadays most people take access to wi-fi as being as basic a running water, although arguably not as essential to survival 😉

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thnak you @Lizzie 

I hope you are having a relaxing Queen's birthday weekend to,.

I'm awaiting one of my Chryalis's to pop out into a Monarch & hoping s/he will come out tomorrow, preferably when I'm there to watch & video it, as it would be fitting to have one born on HM Queen's Birhday that we celebrate!

One way to ensure Guests are aware & acknowledge it is in there agreement to terms Of Service of been an ABB user from the beginning.

And to include & acknowledge it when there's confirmation of bookings.

I don't really see why it should be changed in Amenities, although maybe to include that "Laptop friendy workplace, which may or may not include WIFI"

Alas as others have mentioned, Guests should read our Lisitings through in the first instance.

@Helen427   You could probably stop at "guests who look through amenities fail to pick up"....as this seems to be the problem; failure to look.  Perhaps you could add "Guest must acknowledge there is no Wifi" under "Other things to note" or to your policies/house rules they must acknowledge prior to booking.

Julieanna

@Julieanna0 

Thanks for your feedback.

I have it included throughout my listing including in House Manual.

Darren61
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Alan, I certainly understand your position on Wi-Fi although I have found that most guest don’t read the full descriptions of our listings. On the other hand just as far as my guests are concerned, they probably would not bring a laptop ( or perhaps not even consider your property) if there was no Wi-Fi. Actually when my guests arrive the first thing they ask for is the Wi-Fi password. I’m just curious, would it be difficult to get that service in your area? In my opinion it is top priority and you could be missing some bookings because of it.  

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I just want to understand how the decisions are made on which listings show on the top 3 or 4 pages.

We have been super hosts for many quarters in a row, we have excellent reviews, we have a low decline rate and have never cancelled a reservation.  We also check the listing and calendar every day.

A few months ago, I did an incognito search and our listing was LITERALLY the last listing on the last page!!!  We lowered the price, removed the cleaning fee and that bumped us up to the middle of the pack, but it seems like this listing should never have dropped to the bottom if airbnb's algo was configured to rewards hosts for the things that airbnb says it wants hosts to do. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Mark116  for your question here. It's a good one. 

Just out of interest when you searched, did you put anything in the filters? 

--------------------

@Lizzie  We did it two ways, both using  'entire house/apartment'  one for all listings, where we were dead last, and one for super hosts which put us in the end of the middle.

I understand that 'new' listings would always be showing on the first few pages, but that doesn't explain how a super host with good reviews a price that is only slightly above what airbnb says is the median price is, and hosts doing most of the 'tricks' of logging in, changing the descriptions etc. should have been the last listing in the search.  

@Mark116  Does Jersey City require you to have an STR permit?  I've just started a new thread here:  https://community.withairbnb.com/unqgh87863/board/message?board.id=Community-Help-EN&message.id=2174... as I am curious why some Superhosts show up in search more often than other Superhosts.  I too understand about new listings showing up on the first few pages, however, would like to know more about other factors, @Lizzie .

Julieanna
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

The question I'm sure we'd all love answered - when does Airbnb intend to clearly identify and separate small, independent hosts from large commercial entities and "professional" operators in the searches - as per EU Directives that Airbnb were supposed to comply with by the end of 2018 - on the grounds that not doing so is deceptive to consumers, and gives the "Pro's" an unfair commercial advantage? 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

https://ec.europa.eu/info/files/common-position-national-authorities-within-cpc-network-commercial-p...

2. Identification of traders and commercial content

It is understood, from Airbnb’s Hosting Standards5, that certain professional providers are allowed to use Airbnb’s platform to offer their accommodation services. However, when searching for accommodation on Airbnb’s website, the search result shows accommodation provided by both private individuals and professional providers with no distinction between the two. It should be noted that under Articles 6(1)(f) and 7(1) ,(2), (4)(b) of the UCPD6 a commercial practice is misleading if it is likely to deceive consumers on the nature and identity of the trader or if it omits such type of characterisations.

To comply with the UCPD, collaborative economy platforms should therefore prevent third party traders from offering accommodation/properties on the platform without clearly disclosing their professional motives. In particular, with a view to avoid omitting material information, the collaborative economy platform should, as a minimum, enable relevant third party traders to indicate to users that they are traders, and the platform should inform consumers whether and, if so, what criteria it applies to select the suppliers operating through it and whether and, if so, what checks it performs in relation to their reliability"

"With a platform like Airbnb, which enables accommodation sharing, the distinction between professional providers and private host peers may influence the decisions of consumers using the platform to book accommodation. In fact, on the one hand the distinction has implications for the question of whether the transaction is protected by consumer protection rules and, on the other, many consumers using Airbnb are looking for private homes with personal involvement and not necessarily for professional property owners. CPC authorities find that the lack of distinction between private host peers and professional providers on Airbnb’s website is likely to deceive consumers in relation to the nature of the trader, as set out in art 6 (1) (f) and 7(1) and (2), and is likely to cause a transactional decision that would not have been taken otherwise"

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-5809_en.htm

"The presentation of Airbnb's pricing, as well as the distinction between private and professional hosts currently does not comply with the requirements of EU law, in particular the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive"

"Airbnb must clearly identify if the offer is made by a private host or a professional, as the consumer protection rules differ"

"The company is expected to finalise its proposals and proceed with the implementation of the changes in all EU/European Economic Area language versions by the end of December 2018. In the case of non-compliance, consumer authorities could decide to resort to enforcement measures"

Susan, thank you for adding this information.

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Lizzie, just out of curiosity, could you list the "nearly 100 factors" that are referred to in this article:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/what-factors-determine-how-my-listing-appears-in-search-resul... Thanks so much!

Julieanna
Kaya2
Level 2
Merriam, KS

In reference to:

If I have to decline a booking because a guest doesn’t meet my House Rules, does this impact my search ranking?"

I frequently struggle with guests not seeing our Additional House Rules because they are hidden behind a link at is not even obvious as a link. This has led to many wasted conversations & time investment and ultimately declines as we are not the right place for all guests. PLEASE make Additional House Rules both visible and required reading before a guest can book!