What constitutes a calendar update?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

What constitutes a calendar update?

It has been posted here frequently that updating your calendar regularly makes a property go up search results. But what constitutes a calendar update? Changing rates? Blocking and unblocking dates? I update my rates twice a week both for the purpose of them being relevant (I lower them little by little as days remain unhooked starting about a month out) and to keep the calendar updated for the search results. Is that sufficient or should I also block random days and unblock them?  I saw several people posting about doing that. 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Inna22 

I am not convinced such updates affects the ranking (where is the evidence ?). And if so: when everybody will do this "tricks", we all just end up in some kind of carousel. Promoting a listing outside Airbnb is much more effective.  Do not rely on Airbnb search only.

Some old bt still usefull posts:

Do you use direct marketing for your Airbnb

Your top questions about Airbnb Search

@Emiel1 I do not think I have the patients and the time to do that. @Ben551 had some great posts. I wonder what he is up to now

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  At one point I tried those things like "updating" my calendar, tweaking wording in my listing, etc, but I couldn't see that it made one bit of difference in my search ranking.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

The minute you lower your rate, even if by 1

$1-2, your listing will be boosted with the tag “ new lower rate”. 

Switch up your rates regularly. 

Also, when guests “heart” your listing, over time, that works as well. 

Update your listing regularly; whether it’s pricing or pics. 

Refresh your pics-during holidays, I decorate-great opportunity to update your photos. 

Start or add to/beef up your guest guide. 

All of the suggestions above are proven techniques.