What do I do If I double booked and found the people a better place to stay, do I need to refund all

Jacalyn2
Level 1
Bend, OR

What do I do If I double booked and found the people a better place to stay, do I need to refund all

11 Replies 11
Jacalyn2
Level 1
Bend, OR

My niece double booked the rental next door to ours, and ours was open, so we let the people move into ours.  She gave them a full refund and told them they did not need to pay anything for ours.  She ssid that was protocol.  We think that is really strange that they should get to stay in a nicer place for no paymet what so ever.  Please help us with this problem.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jacalyn2  So you double booked and contacted the guest (s) who agreed to go to another listing, right?  Did you then cancel the reservation?  Or are you keeping the reservation on the books with Air BNB  and when you get paid you will refund the guests because you are also booking through another platform?  Or are you paying directly for them to got elsewhere?  Guess I am a bit confuse...:P

So actually my niece double booked a home next to mine, and I graciously gave my rental right next door which is much nicer than the rental was double booked.  Then my niece told them they would get a full refund and stay in mine for free, because she thought that was the rules.  I told her she must be wrong, but she insist she had to give them lodging for free and a full refund.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That makes no sense. Is your nice the guest? The co-host?

Why is your nice booking on behalf of other people?

@Jacalyn2  Family...got to love them.  Up to you to honor the deal your niece made or set up a booking in your place.  Sounds like your neice wanted to avoid a host cancellation, which good, but now you have free guests.

I guess my question is is it the law that you give them back all their money and have to pay for them to stay somewhere else. I don't care that I am not getting any rent from them, I am having trouble believing that Airbnb requires you to give them back all their money and then pay out of your own pocket for them to stay some place else, it seems a pretty big punishment for a manager who is barely making a living!

It is not the general practice to refund and pay for other accommodations.  Some hosts might arrange that to induce a guest to move and not complain.

Jacalyn2
Level 1
Bend, OR

Better explanation.  I live next to a house that my niece manages.  On the other side of that house I own a vacation rental.  She double booked the house she manages and I came to the rescue and let the second group .of people move into my vacation rental for the week! They got a nicer place but she gave them all their money back and did not charge them for my rental 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Your niece has pulled the wool over your eye's.

I presume non of this has gone through the airbnb system, so that your niece did not get a 100dollar fine, loss of superhost status and her listings lower in the rankings due to canceling a booking.

Thats a mighty fine niece you have.

She should have phoned airbnb and had the guests booking moved to your property if she does not manage it.

If she does manage your listing it was only a couple of clicks to move a booking without penalty.

She should at least share the earnings from her rental that week.

As @Linda108 say's Family...got to love em (sometimes)

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Jacalyn2In a nutshell, she over did it. Just the act of putting them in a better place for the same price would have probably sufficed to keep them more than happy. On the other hand, I would think most people would have realized her 'mistake' and insist on paying or refused the refund.

@Jacalyn2

Long story short, sounds like your niece made a total mess of things, has no understanding of how Airbnb works, and is now trying to get you to pay for her mistakes.