What do I do if a snoring guest causes others to leave

What do I do if a snoring guest causes others to leave

I'm pretty new to hosting, and I wasn't able to find other articles that catered to my situation. I rent the upstairs of my home to Airbnb. There are three bedrooms that are next to one another. And one of the rooms there is a guest who has an unnaturally loud snore. I almost wouldn't even call it a snore as they are constantly gasping and sometimes even yelling in their sleep. The noise is extremely loud. My daughter who sleeps in the basement can hear them. They booked the room for 13 nights, I have received complaints from the other guests, but luckily none so far have canceled and left. I have provided them with ear plugs, but I don't know if they're using them or if they don't like using earplugs in general. I'm worried because during the times that the snoring guest is here I will have others arrive as well. I am at odds here. Do you think I should let the upcoming guests know that there is a loud snoring person? What do I do if I start having cancellations due to her snore? Help!!!

12 Replies 12
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Bernarda9 This guest is better suited to an entire place listing, not a shared scenario. I would address it with the guest as tactfully as possible, but with a view to having them find a more appropriate place to stay. You can send the guest a change reservation request with a new check out date. They will be refunded nights not spent.

Hi Colleen,

Does the guest and host get the Airbnb fees etc back in this scenario?

Thanks,

Rob

@Robert5844  No. No one gets Airbnb fees back.

@Bernarda9 @Colleen253   I'd be extra cautious about making the guest relocate, as the cause of the hardcore snoring (e.g. obstructive sleep apnea) might be considered a disability if the guest made a discrimination complaint. Snorers aren't a protected class under civil law, but Airbnb's policy often goes further than the law obliges it to.

Assuming you've had some interaction with this guest while awake, what's your read on this person's attitude?  You can't always predict the consequences of making a current guest feel unwelcome, but sometimes there are clues in your communication. I wouldn't worry too much about the other current guests -  you've gracefully accommodated them with earplugs, but involuntary noise from other rooms should be an acceptable inconvenience to people who choose to stay in a shared house instead of an Entire Home unit.  But upcoming guests might appreciate being warned, especially if they're still within the grace period for free cancellations. 

In the Listing editor there is an opportunity to disclose "potential for noise" causes, even ones that you'd think would be common sense. I've gotten similar "noise" complaints about children playing outside and birds chirping in the tree outside their window.  But I declined to take any action against the kids and the wildlife.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Bernarda9  While unfortunate, I don't think it would be appropriate to ask a guest to leave due to snoring. Guests renting in a "multi-room" situation should know there is a potential for noise from other guests. If he was deliberately making excessive noise, that would be different.

It's a shame he's booked for so many nights, but supplying ear plugs to your other guests is really the only thing you can do. In the future you might consider supplying noise machines in each room or dehumidifiers make great white noise to help drown out any potential noise.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bernarda9 

Bernardo, I understand your guest has long gone but hey, I have your solution.....100%!

Buy a pair of size 30 mens underpants, cut the 'pant' section off just leaving the elastic top section, explain to the offending guest the issue, assure him the article has not been previously worn, it is new and ask him to slip the elastic section on his head and under his chin on retiring for the evening!

Yeah, go on laugh.....but it will work and everyone will get a peaceful nights sleep.

I know because a few years ago when I put on some weight the strategy was forced on me. Fortunately I have lost weight since then and the need has disappeared but, Ade said that was a time in her life she really appreciated mens underwear! 

Cheers........Rob 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Bernarda9 as a new host I would advise against taking bookings for more than a week, especially in a shared home situation. Get your feet wet before you allow guests to stay longer term. And you need reviews in the early days to pump up your score.

This man sounds like he suffers from a sleep disorder which is a medical condition that may rise to the level of disability. It certainly has the potential to disturb other guests. Though not much can be done at the moment, save asking him to leave (which I don't advise) I might add something to my listing saying that as you are a shared home you can only accommodate.  guests who abide by your "quiet time" hours and do not disturb others who may be staying. This will give you grounds to address all kinds of loud snoring, romantic activity and late night TV or musical escapades. You might also look into trying to soundproof guest spaces if it makes sense financially. Some homes are awful for privacy as the walls are thin and sound carries.

I would chalk this up to a learning experience and be extra nice to your poor guests who have to endure Senor Snoresalot. The earplugs are a great idea. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Bernarda9 @Laura2592 @Robin4 @and all others on this thread...I know its many months ago...But what I found so interesting is we ALL, every one that posted assumed it was a man....even me, until I re read the last line of the post...."What do I do if I start having cancellations due to her snore? Help!!!" 

Its a woman....wild, how we all assumed it was a man. Anyway, curious how you dealt with it and what was the outcome on all sides? Peace Clara

@Clara116  The loudest snoring guest I had by far was female. 

Years ago my ex boyfriend told me I snored, but assured me it was a "quiet ladylike snore". 🙂  My guest's definitely wasn't.

@Sarah977 love it -- ladylike snore!  Sweet actually.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bernarda9  I purchased a white noise machine several years ago for 2 reasons.  Initially it was for me to use because I had a guest who snored very loudly.  Since then I have  begun offering it to guests to use because I am a very early riser and, while I try to be quiet, I now have a cat that insists, loudly, I feed her when I rise.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Clara116  Yes, I think he was trying to soften the blow 🙂