What do i do if a guest accused me (host) of being a scammer

What do i do if a guest accused me (host) of being a scammer

I had a couple from Buffalo stayed Sept 8-Sept 21 $85 per night for 2250 sqft heated pool home in SW Florida.

Sept 9 morning they told me that they found somebody underwear in one of drawer, the pool water was too cold(86F), the house isn’t clean as it should be and the hand soap dispensers only halfway full. The condition of the house give her anxiety because she’s a phobic. She said she will be sending all the pictures to me. I were on a family weekend trip about 3hrs away. No picture was sent. I turned my car around to get to the house. When I were 30minutes away, an Airbnb support memeber called and suggested sending someone to clean as she wanted. I said i will be there and clean as the way she wanted. I apologized guests and sending pictures to my cleaning team. I trusted my cleaning team we never had any issues before. 

Sept 10 afternoon the guests want to know why the jacuzzi isn’t working. I told them it’s not working and i’m waiting for the new pump. They said i was lying to them about the listing. I also told themin the listing I didn’t list jacuzzi or hot tub. They said they’re not happy with that  and this is their first time vacation and honeymoon after 37 years of married. They wanted me to do something to make them happy. Instead of buying dinner or wine, i refund $100 to make them happy.

No issue until Sept 18th at noon, they told me the air conditioning wasn’t working. I came over right away. I called my home warranty (AHS) at 1pm and it usually take them 24hrs to response. My dad and i know how to fix it ourselves. We started fixing and getting new capacitor. It turned it wasn’t only the capacitor but the whole fan was blown. We couldn’t do anything beside waiting for home warranty. I called Airbnb support and told them the situation. They told me go tell the guests that there will be no air conditioning and the guests should make their decision of staying or leaving. They will get refund of the nights they didn’t stay.  The guests decided to stay because it was late (8pm)and raining outside. I asked if they need more fans but they said it was ok. Sept19 at 8am, Airbnb support called to check on the repairing status. I told support team that the home warranty team will respone in 24hrs which is in 5 hours away. The support said they will let the guests know. I got on the phone with home warranty , got transferred back and forth between air conditioning service and  home warranty. Per American Hoem Shield contract, they have 24hrs to assign a vendor and vendor have 48hrs to come to repair my air conditioning. I told the guests that and couldn’t get fix as early as they wanted. They had to make decisions leaving or staying. They didn’t response to my message. They left the house and wanted the whole trip to be refunded. An Airbnb supervisor is working on the case. The guests called and yelled at me for being a scammer, ruined their vacation, lying about home warranty, why do i have to fix myself if i have home warranty, the house isn’t under warranty, i should have paid for their hotel room, i don’t want to fix the A/C.... please share some thoughts, advices and experiences.

6 Replies 6
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Charge more money ! You'd be lucky to find a days inn for $85 / night. If they stayed the night, you get to keep the money - only refund if they left early.

Anybody that says it's easy to make $$ on Airbnb is lying. I would only do a whole house if I lived nearby and could keep a close eye on the whackos Airbnb will deliver nightly 😞

Martin27
Level 10
Berlin, Germany

Dear @Andy287,

having this kind of guests is always a pity. Whatever one is doing, they wont ever be satified and you will get a bad review too. Just try to take it as business and kind of bad luck, as it is happening to every host once in a while. As you told it is their first vacation for decades and honeymoon trip too - so there are quite high expectations from guests side.

Increasing the price may help and never let any hagglers stay at your house. 🙂

Best

Martin

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

Double your prices.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Andy287. You can not make this stuff up, can you? For whatever reason, this couple upset Murphy so much, that Murphy's Law was inflicted on your household. I do not understand the connection between how much you charge and the air conditioners not functioning, 

Clearly, this vacation was supposed to be "perfect" which is never a reasonable expectation for travelers. To be honest, I would, at this point, just be overly sympathetic and hope that they leave. You are not going to get a good review. The best you can do for yourself is to be a decent human being, not allow them to take advantage too much, and get that A/C fixed for your next guests.

Deep breathes!

Thanks Susan. I wish i could make this up lol. I don’t really care about bad reviews, no one perfect 100%. After they left, i just stressed out about how to be a better host and how to prevent this happen again. We’re getting the A/C fix in 2 days. Have a great day.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Andy287

Sorry you have had these very bad guests. Your guests understand that the best defensive is a strong offense. 

Unfortunately, Airbnb is NOT a good venue for long stays like this.

Airbnb has a VERY arbitrary refund policy, so "normal" maintainance issues may become a reason for a 100% refund 😞     

With luck, you'll get a good CS manager, who will rule in your favor, but why put yourself through that stress?

Keep your financial risk low by limiting your maximum stays.

If you really want to rent out long term, make 2 listings. The long term listing will have huge disclaimers. NO A/C, NO pool, NO jacuzzi.  Good luck.