What do you do to keep your drains clear? (asking after major sewer blockage)

Karen1114
Level 2
Portrush, United Kingdom

What do you do to keep your drains clear? (asking after major sewer blockage)

Hi guys, 

I am looking for some tips that I can use to prevent my sewer from blocking again, after last night revealed a massive sewer blockage due to baby wipes flushed down the toilet. The obvious thing is to put up a sign that says no wipes of any kind to be flushed but does anyone have any practical tips that I can follow to try and prevent blockage even when someone does put something down? I don't live on the property and obviously don't want to spy on my guests, but I also don't want to get confronted with raw sewage floating on my carpet like it did last night (no offence to those guests, they arrived and it was like that. It was most likely a previous guest with a young child however I can't prove it so I'll not try to get any compensation, it only gets me in an ugly discussion). 

I look forward to your suggestions. I'll be buying sewer rods to make sure in case of an emergency I'll be able to do some DIY salvage, but I'm very curious about anyone's recommendations for chemical/organic solutions that can be flushed into the drains! 

thanks

Karen 

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Karen1114  I don't think any chemicals would disolve baby wipes or plastic... it has to be removed manually

Here, print my sign, laminate it and tape it on the wall above the toilet 🙂

donotflushl.jpgdonotflushlgreen.jpg

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Karen1114 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

I have had the same problem with blocked loo in the Log cabin (no pun intended)

I now have a sign hanging above the Toilet paper holder ....

Do Not Block Loo.jpg

When they realise how much it will cost, they will take more care