What do you do when Airbnb's photographer is awful...

What do you do when Airbnb's photographer is awful...

We earn a free photo shoot from Airbnb and getting the person too forever and lots of time on my part to coordinate with the person. The photographer was friendly but his photos are awful. Bad lighting and composition...My photos I took which are the ones on my listing a much better...help I don't want to throw this person under the bus but I feel stuck. 

Thanks,

Nikki

22 Replies 22
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nikki-and-Danny0  I've read about this happening to other hosts. I wonder how they choose their photographers, someone's brother who needs a job? I guess you can just stick to your own photos and not use the ones he did. It was free, so you're not out any money. I hear you that you don't want to make trouble for the guy, but if he's incompetent, why should he be kept on?

Brianna38
Level 2
Portland, OR

I updated the linens and curtains shortly after my professional photos were taken, I just deleted the irrelevant images, no one is checking that you are using them- you aren’t at risk of throwing anyone under the bus

Stay-Asheville0
Level 10
Asheville, NC

Airbnb does a rather terrible job with managing the agents of theirs that fail epically.  I don't expect them to do much other than respond with messages that are robotic and non empathetic to your cause.

Totally! see what they said to me below in Lisa's comment. 

I talked with Airbnb and they said they will call or email me back. The dumb thing we did was we paid the guy extra for raw photos, expecting they would be good. 

I just got off the phone with the photographer who told me I wasted his time and that my house was small for Lake Tahoe standards. What upsets me is that I took 2 days off work, had to rent a car, I live a few hours away, wasted my cleaners time, then spend 2-3 hours staging the house for the photo shoot for really bad photos. 

Thanks for your support 😞 what a crappy experience.  

@Nikki-and-Danny0  What cheek- what business is it of the photographer's to tell you your house is small by Lake Tahoe standards? Was that supposed to be some kind of excuse for bad photography? I don't see how the 2 relate.

I think he was trying to make me feel wrong. It was totally unprofessional.

@Nikki-and-Danny0

Based on my understanding of the "free photography" provided by abb, I was under the impression that they are NOT what most of us would consider "professional" photographers. More like hobbyists or students who need the experience. 

This person was a full time professional photographer. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

If you don't tell Airbnb they'll keep using him and other hosts will have the same crappy experience. I hope you'll tell them.

@Lisa723 wrote:

If you don't tell Airbnb they'll keep using him and other hosts will have the same crappy experience. I hope you'll tell them.

I did! 🙂 Here is my conversation with Airbnb

------------------------------------

[Private conversation hidden as per the community guidelines]

------

Haven't heard a thing from them since.

They removed the chat. 

I notice there's been a few things removed lately. Maybe soon we'll only be allowed to talk about "nice" things.

Wouldn’t be surprised 😞