What do you do when you see a competitor listing that is clearly illegal?

James12
Level 2
Madora Bay, Western Australia, Australia

What do you do when you see a competitor listing that is clearly illegal?

I am a new host, although my property has been listed on Airbnb for 6 years. I had a host who managed my property until recently when due to personal reasons we parted company. This host also has another property listed on Airbnb (V2) in close proximiity to mine, in fact they are virtually identical. On parting company the host unlisted my property (without notifying me) and amended the other listing V2 by changing the opening page photograph. I know it sounds confusing, but what I have now is a listing (my new listing) with NO reviews whatsover, whereas the other listing has all my original reviews. Also in the other listing, the host has posted 6 photographs of my property to promote V2. The narrative in V2 listing is also virtually verbatim to mine.

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Are you listed as a host on your "friend's" listing? Seems to me your reviews should follow you, not the new host.  I'd contact Airbnb and explain in detail the situation.  Not sure your friend's listing is illegal, just unethical.  Please let us know what the resolution turns out to be!

James12
Level 2

Thanks Clare, being new to Airbnb I'm not sure how to contact them, I find the site is not user friendly and I seem to be getting the run around trying to sort the mess out. I agree with you entirely on the illegality of the listing, the host has turned out to be unununethical if you get my drift. I'm not listed on unethical friends listing, my listing was obliterated entirely and I had to start from scratch.

Clay0
Level 10
Denver, CO

Your former partner should have been the one to create the new account and start fresh for their listing. I believe airbnb would agree that your former partner should not benefit from the review history and inacurate photos when the guest experiences were in a different property. I sincerely doubt that you will be able to move those reviews to your new account but at least it should be a level playing field where your former partner is starting fresh as well.

James12
Level 2

Thanks Clay, My former host had two listings next door to each other. She de-listed one (not mine) and replaced the opening page photo of mine with the photo of the listing she had de-listed. The listing she de-listed had very few reviews so consequently all my reviews now appear on her revised listing along with the narrative and photos.