What do you message to encourage guests to write a (5 star) review?

Answered!
Alice425
Level 3
Arroyo Grande, CA

What do you message to encourage guests to write a (5 star) review?

I’m quite new to hosting and I’m beginning to appreciate that Airbnb rewards hosts for the percentage of guests that leave a review, besides the star rating of any reviews.  It seems to me that we can influence whether guests leave a review by writing a nice message to them on checkout.  

I think it is crass to ask for a 5 star review outright. Perhaps there is some other way to communicate the importance of it to the guests?  Also, what about the timing?  Do you “hit them up” on the day they leave?  Or wait a day?  

Thanks for for any Input!

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

For more information about reviews, please check our article on "Writing Reviews". 

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76

I have in my "house book" under checkout procedures "please dont forget to leave us a review. 5***** will be great since Airbnb doesnt offer 6******" 

Then I make sure once our house is refreshed and no broken jacuzzi or furniture, I leave them a review. 

If they dont review in the 1st week, I send them a little note about something else like "hey if you have pics on Instagram or FB you can tag using our #SeasonsCottage. And dont forget to leave us a review" 

If they dont respond, I let it go. 

@Alice425

I usually get a chance to talk about ABB (the good, the bad, and the frustrating aspects) over a cup of coffee or a beer with my guests during their stay - I explain about ratings, that I get threatening messages that I could be suspended if my rating drops below 4.7 stars, meaning 5 stars is good and 4 stars is bad. Most of my guests are very surprised to hear 4 stars is bad and that hosts are reprimanded for getting 4 stars. I basically tell my guests, if you honestly feel that your stay could have been better, that your expectations were not met, the listing description was not accurate then rate hosts (including me) honestly and give 2 stars or 3 or 4, whatever you feel is right. But please don't give someone 4 stars thinking you are giving them a GOOD rating because it's not. 4 stars means the host will get a warning that my listing could be suspended so please make sure you are giving hosts a FAIR and HONEST rating according to the ABB critera.

@Jessica-and-Henry0wrote:

"But please don't give someone 4 stars thinking you are giving them a GOOD rating because it's not."

That's a very good point. I will keep that in mind.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I flat out ask for it. “I hope you enjoyed your stay and can leave an all five star review.  Please let me know if you have any feedback for me. “

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I ask for a review from guests who I feel really enjoyed their stay when the guest is checking out.  I agree, asking for a "5-star review" is tacky.  This is my standard way of asking:  "Thanks so much for staying with me.  You were a great guest.  Can I ask you a big favor?  When you have time, please leave me a review.  We Airbnb hosts are very dependent on our guest's reviews, and I'd greatly appreciate it".  I've never gotten less than a 5-star review.  

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

@Alice425, I absolutely never mention the review 5 star system. Following on from other advise offered @Michael956 , @Inna22, @Jessica-and-Henry0 & @Penney0; I consider it is Airbnb’s responsibility to educate guests, not mine. Sometimes I might mention on departure or the night before. “Oh well, we will both receive an email notification from Airbnb, that will request us both to review one another. When I get mine, I’ll be very happy to give you a good review. (Do not lie if this is not the case. It is unprofessional and unethical).

I always use the Airbnb message site to communicate, and sometimes an additional text message if the guest is from Australia, and I am unsure if that are inaccessible or have internet access. The following is an Airbnb message I’ve sent to a great guest just recently.  I’ve done similar to others who get past the first week of the 14 day review period. But we have no control over human beings. We just cross our fingers...

These guests, usually don’t really understand there is an expiration date, nor might they be taking notice of Airbnb email notifications (maybe no app on their portable device,  especially if still holidaying. I know the first time I travelled, I was slow to respond and uneducated in the Airbnb ways.... so I’m not going to be critical of someone, when I left my 1st positive review till the last days. I had better things to do then read a badgering email! Lol...)

Something like this: depends on the guest and your knowledge of them.

Dear ...
I am unsure if you are still on holidays, or back at work .....
Thank you again for .... “something personal about their stay.”

If you have time, I would greatly appreciate it if you could go to the Airbnb site and leave a review for my accommodation. Like TripAdvisor etc, the online review system is very important to increasing my guest numbers. The review period is limited, and I believe you have only 8-7 days left, depending on your location. Once this time expires, no review can be created. From my position, with the formula that Airbnb operate under, if there is no review given from a guest, it is unfortunately implied that the stay was terrible, not enjoyable, and therefore a negative one.  Like reviews given to guests, this impacts severely on our personal rating. 😞

However, an honest review assists other guests looking, to have confidence when choosing a place to stay. If there is anything I can improve or alter to assist any future stay of yours, or someone else’s, I’d appreciate this information through the private feedback section.

(Don’t lie, but this info was true for this individual) 
A “super guest” review has been left for you, which Airbnb releases after you review me. I’m sorry to have to ask for your help with reviewing me. I do hope it is not too forward of me, or embarrassing for you. 

May I thank you again for being lovely guests and I hope your holiday in Darwin was a positive adventure for you all. 

Wishing you the very best!”

I hope this gives gives you some positive ideas. 🙂

Exactly @Catherine0

It is ABB's responsibility to educate guests......... but they don't and hosts are the ones that suffer because guests were not educated. So for the small number of guests I host, if I have the opportunity then I will use it to educate guests for their benefit as much as mine because (like my friend likes to say) you can't win a game when you don't know the rules 🙂

I have never asked for a 5 star review - I always emphasize that I want honest reviews. If the guest feels my listing did not meet expecations, that I misrepresented what I offer, then I will accept 1,2,3,4 stars. All I want to do is make sure I don't have guests giving me 4 stars thinking its a GOOD review when it is actually a bad one.

yes, the guests dont know how bad a 4 star review or a 3 star review really is. I for example got a 3 star review from a young lady who was annoyed by some bugs - the moths or butterflies that come to light. I was cooking in the evening and opened the kitchen door so the smell won't go to her then I watched a movie downstairs. Apparently she kept the light on upstaris in the bedroom and the rest of the house was in the dark so normally those things went to her room. She texted me at midnight that the bugs attacked her and asked me to put her in another room, which I did and she loved it more she said. SO I solved her problem she had a good night sleep and yet she gave me 3 star review!

My point is that guests don't know and dont care. It is us who should educate them. AIrbnb wont do it.

I never requested anything from anyone until I learned that other people do, so I started doing it too. Yet some people are really crazy, like the guy who gave me a 1 start review out of rage that I didnt let him stay longer and I insisted that he leaves. he was staying over the check-out time. I had repeated to him that I had guests booked the same day; I couldn't possibly let him stay. He booked me for 2 nights and wanted to extend, but with the upcoming guests the house needed to be cleaned asap.

so honestly it is a lottery to me. I usually say something like "thank you so much bla, bla. If you enjoyed your stay please consider giving me a 5 star review as my busniess will benefit from it. Regardless you were a great guest and I will give you a 5 star review too. Also since I am a new host, I am always looking for suggestions and things to improve. If you have any reccomendations for me I'd be glad to hear about it." some of them actually did have great suggestions.

there are some talking points in the help section on the guest side.

@Catherine827, do you message your guests on their phones with review requests or do you send it via Airbnb messenger? I don't typically contact my guests on their numbers unless they contacted me that way first. Plus, I like to have things on record when possible.

I'm in a dilemma right now with summer folks not being nearly as review-responsive as previous guests. I've had hand-written letters, cards, complimentary text messages from guests, but some of them haven't left a review. I had two guests tell me everything was hands down perfect, that they'd come back, then they left 4 stars overall and 3 and 4 stars in a couple of categories. When I messaged them inviting them to share what improvements could be made so we could improve the listing for other guests, they didn't reply.

What's a host to do when you go above and beyond in every way getting amazing feedback during a person's stay, just to see an imperfect score from the same guests? I know it's true some people just don't ever give perfect scores because in their mind there is no such thing as perfect. However, I see a 5-star as "this place delivered what they promised." It's not about comparing one listing to another (the Ritz Carlton to Best Western, for instance). It's about getting what you signed on for.

I'm thinking of asking people in the check-out section of the house manual to consider leaving a "stellar review" if they enjoyed their stay. That way, I'm not begging for 5 stars and I'm not pining and complaining about Airbnb's strange "4-star" or "no review" penalties. But I am initiating an important conversation. What say you?

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I never mention reviews in any way shape or form. I would not like a host to make a review request of me, and I won’t do it to my guests. 

Same. I find the whole issue the least palatable of the whole Airbnb 'experience'. Besides we (my guests and I) both have enough reviews, so less have to deal with the subject, the better.

C-Perry0
Level 2
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Yes ! I also try to approach  all AirBnB issues with that attitude.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." - Jesus 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alice425 @Willow3 @Catherine827 @Michael956 @Inna22

Because I live on the property where I host it is much easier for me. I have the opportunity to simply talk with the guest rather than just answer questions or attend to problems, and more often than not the discussion gets around to the Airbnb review system. Most guests are shocked to learn that not reviewing penalises the host. I refrain from telling them that anything less than 5 stars will be seen as a failing on our part! I just say, "Think about this for a minute, If you were doing this, what would you do that I am not"? .....and in general that not only gets a review, it gets a 5 star review!

Cheers.....Rob